Quick question regarding rare itunes songs...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trevgreg

Rock n' Roll Doggie
I've heard that some of these songs might originate from different albums. But I can't find the threads that discuss this. Someone mind helping me out quickly? THanks in advance...

# Levitate (from ATYCLB sessions)
# Love You Like Mad (from ATYCLB sessions)
# Smile (HTDAAB sessions)
# Flower Child (ATYCLB sessions)
# Beautiful Ghost (Joshua Tree sessions)
# Jesus Christ (Sun Studio)
# Xanax and Wine (HTDAAB sessions)

I'm confused.. you seem to have answered your own question? 'Levitate' for example comes from the 'All That You Can't Leave Behind' recording sessions so therefore may have (but didn't) appear on that album.

But you are probably asking something else maybe.

Hey... sorry I didn't clear that up. I recall seeing people talking in other threads that the albums listed on itunes are wrong regarding where those songs came from. I think I remember people on here saying Levitate, for example, really came from the Pop album sessions or something?

Or maybe I'm just crazy, lol. But if somebody does know what I'm talking about, please tell me or I'll just assume I was somehow mistaken. Thanks again guys.

The techno vibe from Levitate combined with the lyrics "Spirit come on down, no I'm not coming down," leaves me with the impression that this song has it origins well in the Pop sessions. I have placed Levitate on a remixed Pop and it sounds like it is quite at home on it.

One issue is that alot of U2 songs take several years to marinate, so to speak. A music or lyric idea may be banging around the studios for several albums before a home is found for it. It seems the boys are artistic packrats - they carry around alot of old ideas! So perhaps the list you first posted was just where the songs were 'finalized' - they may have had many an earlier incarnation before that album session.

Just my thoughts...

goat

Roland of Gilead said:
The techno vibe from Levitate combined with the lyrics "Spirit come on down, no I'm not coming down," leaves me with the impression that this song has it origins well in the Pop sessions. I have placed Levitate on a remixed Pop and it sounds like it is quite at home on it.

part of the beat of 'levitate' reminds me of 'salome'.

i can also almost hear a little of 'fast cars' in 'the fool'.

Weren't there two lists of where the songs originated, and the lists contradicted each other? That's where I recall reading that Levitate actually came from the Pop sessions.

Axver said:
Weren't there two lists of where the songs originated, and the lists contradicted each other? That's where I recall reading that Levitate actually came from the Pop sessions.

Yes, in the liner notes it says that Levitate was actually from the Pop Sessions, and Flower Child was actually from the HTDAAB sessions, (rather than the ATYCLB sessions, which is what they're listed as in the actual song list.)

Also in the recent Rolling Stone cover story, I think they said that Love You Like Mad is from the HTDAAB sessions.

Last edited:
That was it! Contradictory lists! SO Levitate is a Pop session song and Flower Child is from the new album, I'm assuming, if we want to believe the linear notes.

So I'm guessing we could say Levitate might've been a Pop song indeed. And Love..., Smile, and Flower Child were possibly all new songs from the HTDAAB sessions?

More discussion is appreciated, but thanks for clearing this up everyone!

Back
Top Bottom