Questions about Bono's voice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tony

The Fly
Hi everyone!

There's been a lot of talking about Bono's voice around here and now, a question comes to my head. Now, I'm asking that to people who are actual singers.
I was listening to with or without you played during the Joshua tree tour and then on the Zoo tv tour. Did Bono really lost power or did he just changed volontarely his way to sing. I mean, a voice cannot change that much in 3-4 years. Did he had some kind of lessons to learn how to control it? Do you understand what I'm trying to say here? I know he has been smoking etc...but could Bono sing with or without you the way he was singing it during the joshua tree on the Zoo tv tour? Is it a personal choice or a physical reason?

Thanx for your comments!
Tony

I know what you're talking about. I don't know if Bono has ever had voice lessons (personally, I doubt he has, but that's just me) but I think his voice changed during the ZooTV tour because..

1: age
2: smoking/drinking
3: singing it for so many years (I mean, come on, it's got to take it's toll on you SOMEtime.. and he was/is singing very often from 1980-present!)

I don't know if he just lost his ability to sing that way, or if it WAS a choice.. you can tell that on Popmart and Elevation that his voice wasn't nearly as strong as it used to be. On ZooTV, his voice just sounded a lot lighter, strong but not heavy like on the Joshua Tree tour, and he still sang very well. But on the other tours after ZooTV, you could tell his voice was still lighter and he was straining in many songs.

I don't know. I think it's possible he lost his ability to sing that way.

During Zoo TV, I think it really was a choice to sing the way he did. If you listen to Zoo TV versions of, say, Bad, Bono's range was still very much intact for that tour. I read an article saying that U2 took time between the Rattle and Hum and Zoo years to more closely analyze and polish themselves as musicians, and I think the new, more melodic, tuneful voice of that era was a result.

Now, as for PopMart, Bono's voice was obviously very weakened. The smoking and allergy problems took their toll, and his high register was virtually gone, as evident on songs like Pride and New Year's Day, as well as that painful version of With or Without You from the Mexico City video.

Nowadays (Elevation), Bono seems to have the ability to find that higher register again, but he rarely uses it. Again I see this as a choice and not a constraint, as his performances varied night to night of the really tough songs. Bono has grown tremendously as a technical singer and can use his voice in ways he never could in the 80's, even if he lacks some of that youthful power.

His voice is much more crystal clear in the JT days.

But hey, that's what smoking'll do to ya!

I can really notice it in WOWY

I remember reading an interview around the early days of ATYCLB's release (or perhaps prior to) where Bono mentions a voice coach he has (or had at the time), so at some point he had some kind of coaching, probably on how to use his voice more effectively given the changes it's undergone since the 80s.

He went to a voice trainer or something along that lines, I believe it was AB era and brought him the soundcheck tapes of a show, and the guy listened to them and told Bono no wonder his voice was sore/overextended: he was hitting notes that Opera singers hit once or twice in one show- except Bono was hitting them sometimes three times in one song!

I'm currently reading that Concert Documentary books and it's amazing the man hasn't completely worn out his vocal chords- every few shows his voice is raspy b/c of overextenuating it on certain nights, in order to convey his earnst or whatever.

I've a couple articles by Khoa Tran of @u2 on this, but I'll post the most recent:

March 31, 2002
The State of Bono's Vox, Revisited

A little over two years ago, I wrote a column for this website analysing the vocal
problems that Bono has had over the course of U2's career. That, of course, was
before the release of All That You Can't Leave Behind, and before the band
embarked upon the Elevation tour. With those two major events behind us, let's
take a look at how Bono's voice has held up over the past year or so.

In my previous article, I said that the band ought to start writing songs that
minimised the use of Bono's troubled upper registers. Unfortunately, this doesn't
seem to have been the case with All That You Can't Leave Behind. The album is
filled with difficult and challenging vocal lines. While he handled them fairly well
on the record, and while this does showcase Bono's dedication and determination
as a singer, I was immediately worried about how he would fare on the inevitably
extensive world tour. We are talking about U2 after all. Bono's range is more or
less that of a tenor's (though it can be argued that he's slipped down to a baritone
in the past few years), but in order to reach his higher, full-voiced notes (anything
above the G above middle C or so), he has to force it out, and this can be damaging
over time. We ought to remember that he's been doing this for well over two
decades now. Trained singers learn how to open up and sing in the more difficult
ranges without putting too much strain on their voices. The years of tobacco
smoking and Irish Ceremonial Guinness Intake probably haven't helped much
either. In a recent Hot Press interview, Bono has alluded to the damage that
smoking has done to his singing. It's also been hinted that he still hasn't been able
to completely quit smoking as of yet (it is a tough habit to kick, I understand).

Another factor to keep in mind is that the "break range," the transitional area
between full-voiced singing and falsetto, sells. Daniel Lanois has said that there's
something very special and very compelling about someone giving it his all and
singing at the top of his range. Seeing U2 live confirms this; onstage, Bono gives it
his all and holds nothing back. It must be a physically exhausting experience, not
even considering how tiring it must be mentally and emotionally.

Bono's singing on All That You Can't Leave Behind had its share of truly inspired
and great moments, but the quality of the voice tended to be somewhat erratic. We
find him singing a beautifully impassioned middle-eight vocal during "Walk On,"
but we also hear his voice crack, as he sings "...and if your glass heart should
crack..." Though wonderfully coincidental, I very much doubt it was an intended
effect. The top note in this song is an A above middle C, something I didn't think
he'd try again. Even more surprising, was that he was able to sing and hold the note
during the chorus to "New York" on one of the early pre-Elevation shows in 2000
(the band then went back to its usual routine of transposing all of their music down
by a semitone in a live setting). But even with the flaws, Bono gives a moving
performance in a way that only he could.

Another amazing song on the album with an even more painful-sounding vocal
delivery is "When I Look At The World." The Rolling Stone review of the album
talks about Bono tapping into the "silver" at the top of his range in this song. I have
no idea what the reviewer really meant, but it really is difficult to hear Bono
struggle so much on a studio take. When the song was played live (once, I think),
the band omitted the part with the highest note, the B above Middle C, in addition
to its standard practice of tuning down a semitone. For comparison's sake, B above
Middle C is that wonderful sustained note on the album version of "Pride (In the
Name of Love)." Bono has also hit the C above that in the past ("Who's Gonna
Ride Your Wild Horses" -- "...come on now love, don't you look back...").

Also of note is Bono's difficulty on this past tour with his falsetto ("New York,"
"Stuck in a Moment"). I find this interesting and rather unfortunate because Bono
has tended to, in the past, use his falsetto to make up for the shortcomings of his
regular upper vocal range.

So, with the news and rumours about U2 being "on tour forever," or at least for a
ridiculously extended period of time (thankfully, they've been proven wrong -- the
band deserves a rest!), I couldn't help but worry just a little bit. Bono, hands down,
is my favourite singer. Selfishly, perhaps, I want him to preserve his voice as much
as possible. This means not only transposing the band's music to manageable keys
for Bono, reserving his break-range for one or two "show-stoppers," but also
perhaps taking some time off for a bit of rest and relaxation. Bono, being a
seasoned vocalist, does have strong low and middle registers. Perhaps the songs on
subsequent albums would be better off written in less difficult keys for him and do a
better job of showcasing these. This is something that I really thought that the
band would have and should have done on the last album. The heavy touring
schedule has only made things worse. Listen to the opening night show in Miami
on this last tour and then contrast it with the most recent shows. Does anyone else
think rest and vocal therapy would be a good idea?

I sat down one night and tried listening to different takes of the runaway favourite
live song of many a U2 fan, "Where the Streets Have No Name." The Rattle and
Hum movie version is spectacular, but that was a particularly rough time vocally
for Bono, and in a tough geographical location for singers in general, or so I've
heard. It's hoarse in spots, but the sheer energy and power behind his voice is
undeniable. Next, have a listen to the song from the Zoo Europa show in Dublin.
While the raw power isn't as strong (he doesn't force it as much), it's still there,
and is complimented by a refined polish both in vocal quality and delivery. To this
day, that version remains my favourite. By the mid-to-late PopMart shows, that
vocal power, in my opinion, was waning to gone, and it just hasn't gotten any better
since. For a case in point that I feel requires very little or no qualification, listen to
the Zoo Dublin version (August 28, not the 27th) of "Streets" and then listen to
the Superbowl version. Keep in mind that the Zoo take was in the middle of a
lengthy tour, whereas the Superbowl performance was with plenty of time for vocal
rest. There is quite simply no comparison. Yes, a man's voice changes in eight and
a half years, but this is really quite a change, and is definitely not simply due to age
-- the Edge still sounds fine past the age of 40, and Pavoratti is still kicking well
into his 60s. Finally, while vocal performances varied greatly within tours, the
general trend has undeniably been a loss of power in Bono's upper register. To his
credit, Bono sounded much better on the more recent Grammy Awards
performance of "Walk On."

I have been accused in the past of being a Bono-basher. How one could come to
this conclusion is beyond me (well, actually, it isn't, but I do try to be nice). The
point is that I'm concerned, as a fan, that my favourite singer has had voice
problems while continuing to tour and perform material that he might be better off
not singing unaltered. What he can really do about it, I do not know. From what
I've seen and been able to understand, U2 is a band that will continue to tour and
perform for as long as it feels the need to do so. If the band does write its music to
make it easier on Bono, then the distinctive "Bono sound" will be lost. And I can't
imagine someone of Bono's stature as a singer not having sought vocal therapy by
now, so I am really at a loss as to what further can be done. Maybe that's why
they've carried on the way they have. And maybe that's why I'll have to leave the
rest up to faith...But I still think a break isn't such a bad idea...

Khao and I have disagreed before (I think on the old WIRE) about Bono's voice.

I will openly admit that Khao has far more musical training than I. I will also acquiesce that Bono's range is not the same as it was years ago. However, it seems that Khao often is selective in the examples he chooses (i.e., selecting the obvious best and worst case scenarios). Also, I disagree with some of his comments about the studio versions.

Due to time constraints, I must elaborate upon this later, however, in brief, I feel that Bono's vocals over the years have been as much a choice and maturation as a singer as they have been a factor of age.

I thought Bono's vocals on the Elevation tour and the album were great so I stopped worrying about his voice. Dr. Who I remember those discussions on the old Wire......he did have more belting power in the '80's but now he's a much better singer than he was then, on the whole. He's still as expressive as he ever was, with any kind of emotion, and that's the important thing to me.

I really noticed it on the version of all I want is you from the omagh tribute; edge had to sing the high "yyyooooouuuuu"'s at the climax.
that's when I thought it was over; thank god I was wrong.
:sexywink:

:sad: I miss the JT/R&H vox......it was so pretty..... not that Bono can't sing now but I remember during Elevation wondering if they still could do "Bad" live.......:sad:

MonaVox said:
:sad: I miss the JT/R&H vox......it was so pretty..... not that Bono can't sing now but I remember during Elevation wondering if they still could do "Bad" live.......:sad:

The "issue" I have with JT/R&H Bono is that he often resorted to this "opera" voice. Don't understand what I mean? Then download some versions of "One Tree Hill" from the JT/R&H years. You'll hear these operatic wails - it's almost like an opera- falsetto.

Now, could he still hit the notes? You bet. But his voice didn't seem real.

In contrast, now, Bono's voice seems pure and fresh. More importantly, he CAN hit the notes in "Bad" without resorting to a falsetto or opera voice. This is why I think he's really at a good stride now.

Last edited:
doctorwho said:

The "issue" I have with JT/R&H Bono is that he often resorted to this "opera" voice. Don't understand what I mean? Then download some versions of "One Tree Hill" from the JT/R&H years. You'll hear these operatic wails - it's almost like an opera- falsetto.

Now, could he still hit the notes? You bet. But his voice didn't seem real.

In contrast, now, Bono's voice seems pure and fresh. More importantly, he CAN hit the notes in "Bad" without resorting to a falsetto or opera voice. This is why I think he's really at a good stride now.

[color=royal blue]Hhhhhmmmmmmm interesting...................now I have to do a study of his vox. I'll let you know of my findings.

I just spilled a cup of water on my keyboard. Is that bad?
[/color]

Gosh, I sure am glad to be reading positive things about the developments in Bono's voice....for awhile there it was all negative. Maybe that's because it wasn't in great shape during the PopMart tour. He sounded fantastic in Atlanta last year.

Thanks everyone for your comments but I think we are getting off track here. I know that Bono's voice during Popmart was not at his best and I know that his voice on ATYCLB is different. What I wanted to know is if the difference is ON PURPOSE or PHYSICAL between the Lovetown tour and Zoo tv tour or even between the Rattle and Hum and Achtung baby. Listen to the last show of Lovetown and then the first show of Zoo tv. How can a voice change that much is 3 years!!!

My call is that it was a personal choice and that he found a new way to sing that he liked better. After Zoo, it's obvious that it was physical.

Tony

Oh, OK.......I read somewhere where he had a terrible problem with his throat during the Lovetown tour...was that busting a blood vessel? Something like that. Does anyone else know anything about this? It's certainly not unknown for singers to get busted blood vessels in their throats. It's happened to others.

Tony said:
Thanks everyone for your comments but I think we are getting off track here. I know that Bono's voice during Popmart was not at his best and I know that his voice on ATYCLB is different. What I wanted to know is if the difference is ON PURPOSE or PHYSICAL between the Lovetown tour and Zoo tv tour or even between the Rattle and Hum and Achtung baby. Listen to the last show of Lovetown and then the first show of Zoo tv. How can a voice change that much is 3 years!!!

My call is that it was a personal choice and that he found a new way to sing that he liked better. After Zoo, it's obvious that it was physical.

Tony

It was definitely a personal choice. Now, though, it's anything but. Just listen to the numerous times his voice cracks on "ATYCLB." To say that that was a matter of personal choice and maturation seems way off base. As the Elevation Tour progressed, his voice became more hoarse, more raspy, and more strained. It's going downhill, no question about it. He needs some vocal therapy.

Mulholland Drive said:

It was definitely a personal choice. Now, though, it's anything but. Just listen to the numerous times his voice cracks on "ATYCLB." To say that that was a matter of personal choice and maturation seems way off base. As the Elevation Tour progressed, his voice became more hoarse, more raspy, and more strained. It's going downhill, no question about it. He needs some vocal therapy.

I hear no cracking in his voice on ATYCLB. Furthermore, his vocal performance at the Grammy's proves he still has it, "no question about it." You can argue that the Super Bowl performance was raspy and I agree. But I've heard him off during the JT tour.

The fact remains - Bono is just a good singer, not a great one. If he sang like Scott Stapp, perhaps we'd never notice any changes in his vocals. But since he actually sings instead of screamings in some baritone, we notice everything.

Last edited:
doctorwho said:

I hear no cracking in his voice on ATYCLB. Furthermore, his vocal performance at the Grammy's proves he still has it, "no question about it." You can argue that the Super Bowl performance was raspy and I agree. But I've heard him off during the JT tour.

The fact remains - Bono is just a good singer, not a great one. If he sang like Scott Stapp, perhaps we'd never notice any changes in his vocals. But since he actually sings instead of screamings in some baritone, we notice everything.

I don't hear any cracks on ATYCLB, either. The Grammies performance was a killer. No problems there! The Super Bowl?Well, aren't some days better than others? :lol: Just the occasional off-night.

doctorwho said:

"Stuck In A Moment" - "If your way SHOULD falter"
"Elevation" - "Going down, EXCAVATION"
"Walk On" - "A place that has to be BELIEVED"
"Wild Honey" - "And if you go THERE"

I could go on and on about how many times his voice cracks on that album.

Mulholland Drive said:

"Stuck In A Moment" - "If your way SHOULD falter"
"Elevation" - "Going down, EXCAVATION"
"Walk On" - "A place that has to be BELIEVED"
"Wild Honey" - "And if you go THERE"

I could go on and on about how many times his voice cracks on that album.

OK. What's going on when a singer's voice cracks? Does it mean structural damage to a vocal cord? If so, isn't what the singer has to do is learn to use the undamaged vocal cords better? I've read about that happening to other singers. They go to voice coaches. I read somewhere where Bono has indeed worked with a voice coach--perhaps not enough! They didn't lose their voices but the voices changed, sometimes big time.

Oh, I forgot to mention that I read where Joan Baez said his voice cracked about a million times during Live Aid. If that's the case, what's new?

verte76 said:

OK. What's going on when a singer's voice cracks? Does it mean structural damage to a vocal cord? If so, isn't what the singer has to do is learn to use the undamaged vocal cords better? I've read about that happening to other singers. They go to voice coaches. I read somewhere where Bono has indeed worked with a voice coach--perhaps not enough! They didn't lose their voices but the voices changed, sometimes big time.

Perhaps. I don't really know. But I do find it distressing how much his voice cracked on that album. His continued abuse of alcohol and tobacco isn't helping him any.

Mulholland Drive said:

Perhaps. I don't really know. But I do find it distressing how much his voice cracked on that album. His continued abuse of alcohol and tobacco isn't helping him any.

Not to get too invasive here but I don't call going out for drinks invasive--abuse of alcohol is "alcoholism". I should know, I've had it in my family. No, tobacco doesn't help either but again, I actually don't think he smokes that much. From what I've read he sneaks out for the occasional smoke. This is not cool but I'd argue that some of what we're talking about is also time. I'd really like to know what makes a voice crack, physiologically. Some singers totally lose the use of one of their vocal cords and have to strengthen the others. Their voices do change; they don't have the belting power they had at one point; it's just physiology.

blood red edge said:
His voice is much more crystal clear in the JT days.

But hey, that's what smoking'll do to ya!

I can really notice it in WOWY

Definitely. That's one of the reasons why I just :heart: listening to WOWY on R&H.

Bono's voice was still good during the Zoo TV tour, but not as 'whole' as it was in JT. If you listen to the Elevation bootlegs, his voice has somewhat aged and is a bit weaker. :( OTOH, there's so much SOUL to it now. ;)

dizzy said:

Definitely. That's one of the reasons why I just :heart: listening to WOWY on R&H.

Bono's voice was still good during the Zoo TV tour, but not as 'whole' as it was in JT. If you listen to the Elevation bootlegs, his voice has somewhat aged and is a bit weaker. :( OTOH, there's so much SOUL to it now. ;)

I think it's quite nice, actually---hey, I like it!:laugh: :laugh:

I am just going to throw out my two cents as someone who took voice lessons (for classical singing) ?

Consuming certain things may irritate the vocal folds (which must vibrate in a particular pattern in order to produce voice) in two primary ways:

First, eating chocolate, spicy food, caffeine, and alcohol can increase the stomach?s production of stomach acid, which in turn can irritate and inflame the vocal folds, causing symptoms such as hoarseness, cough, and throat clearing, as well as a sensation of ?lump in the throat.?

Second, caffeine and alcohol can indirectly result in a decreased quality of voice. Caffeine, for example, is a nervous system stimulant that can cause hyperactivity and tremor, both of which can affect your voice adversely. Alcohol is a nervous system depressant that can promote discoordination of speech and voice. Also, excessive alcohol intake can impair judgment, resulting in unhealthy vocal production.

If you are a singer, it is even more important to avoid alcohol or caffeine because even minor dehydration of your vocal folds can lead to a decrease in performance. If you do consume substances with caffeine or alcohol, it is suggested to drink one glass of water for each glass of caffeine or alcohol.

The chemicals and heat of first (or even second) hand smoke irritate the entire lining of the throat (including the vocal folds). Long-term exposure to cigarette/cigar smoke causes changes to the vocal folds. The vocal folds become enlarged due to swelling. This swelling is from an accumulation of fluid inside the vocal fold. This causes the voice to become rougher and less reliable.

The physical demands of singing necessitate optimal health, beginning with adequate amount of rest, aerobic exercise, a moderate diet (and alcohol consumption), and absolute avoidance of smoking.

I am not making any judgement about Bono?s consumption of alcohol or smoking, I am just talking about the general effects of them. In college I had my share of nights out partying and had to sing the next day ? the effects of second hand smoke, alcohol, and a lack of sleep (and a lot of caffeeine to help me wake up) was not good for my voice.

About vocal range ?

Typically, untrained voices have narrower pitch range than trained singers, due to lack of "register" development. The term "register" is used to describe a series of tones that are produced by similar mechanical gestures of vocal fold vibration, glottal and pharyngeal shape, and related air pressure. Some common designations of registers are the "head" register, "chest" register, "falsetto", etc.

Singing requires transitions from one register to another; each of these transitions is called a "passaggio" ("passageway"). Lack of coordination of the laryngeal musculature with the breath support may result in a "register break", or obvious shift from one tone quality to another. Untrained male voices and female "belters" tend to "break" into falsetto/head voice in the upper range. Regardless of the style of singing, a "blend", or smooth transition between the registers is desirable.

A person?s range can also change as they age. The most obvious change occurs in men during puberty when the voice deepens. However in both men and women, hormonal levels fluctuate change over the course of a lifetime and can alter tone, pitch and range.

It?s also possible that at some points he may have had some sort of a vocal chord dysfunction (like nodules) resulting from too much use.

Sooooo ?

I guess what I am trying to say in all of this is that there are a variety of reasons why Bono?s voice sounds different at different points in his career ? his age, smoking, drinking, stress, dysfunction, seeking formal voice training, etc.

wow jessica ann, i learned something today!

The chemicals and heat of first (or even second) hand smoke irritate the entire lining of the throat (including the vocal folds). Long-term exposure to cigarette/cigar smoke causes changes to the vocal folds. The vocal folds become enlarged due to swelling. This swelling is from an accumulation of fluid inside the vocal fold. This causes the voice to become rougher and less reliable

well... most of the concerts i'vebeen to, fans were smoking pot and cigarettes--this is a rock concert people, not a charlotte church one!! don't expect crystal clear singing.

Last edited:
For one thing Bonos voice is WAYYYYY better then EVER before,and why is it ?Like I said before I had read in a magizine that's called Voice channel(I finally remembered the name:D) it was rating male vocals in rock music it was done by some sort of vocal lesson staff who trained the like of pavoritti and others like him.Any way they said the the higest regesteried male falsetto since 1994 was Bono and then Jeff Buckley before he passed on (sad) following others they also said our man Bono would be a top choice for a opera singer!!! due to the fact of his amazing vocal dextarity and incredible range.The magizine was printed in 2002 so as we can see by way of experts he still has it and always will.I agree he has gotten raspy BUT compare the soul in his voice in 1987 to 2002 he clearly has a hell lot more due to him changing the way he sings and learning how to properly convey his emotion in his voice wiohout geting hourse like he did ALL the time in the 80's and earley 90's he learned how to save his voice and yet sill hits the highest notes WITHOUT using his falsetto voice.He also can put more emotion in his voice by changing his vibrato tones in his singing .Bono is NOT a good singer but a GREAT one and will be known for his stunning piches and range :bono: listen to the Boston tape at the beginning of SIAM the magizine says those notes he hits are equalvilent to a opera singers highest note!!, and it was done by a male rock star:ohmy: SOOOO from B-man learning from B.B KING and other SOUL and blues artist (who he has said taught him how to put SOUL in his voice)he is better sung and singing.

:wink: peace, Rythemwire:

Back
Top Bottom