Questions about Bono's voice - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-05-2002, 01:45 AM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:03 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Mulholland Drive

"Stuck In A Moment" - "If your way SHOULD falter"
"Elevation" - "Going down, EXCAVATION"
"Walk On" - "A place that has to be BELIEVED"
"Wild Honey" - "And if you go THERE"

I could go on and on about how many times his voice cracks on that album.
OK. What's going on when a singer's voice cracks? Does it mean structural damage to a vocal cord? If so, isn't what the singer has to do is learn to use the undamaged vocal cords better? I've read about that happening to other singers. They go to voice coaches. I read somewhere where Bono has indeed worked with a voice coach--perhaps not enough! They didn't lose their voices but the voices changed, sometimes big time.

Old 07-05-2002, 01:47 AM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Oh, I forgot to mention that I read where Joan Baez said his voice cracked about a million times during Live Aid. If that's the case, what's new?

Old 07-05-2002, 01:49 AM   #23
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by verte76

OK. What's going on when a singer's voice cracks? Does it mean structural damage to a vocal cord? If so, isn't what the singer has to do is learn to use the undamaged vocal cords better? I've read about that happening to other singers. They go to voice coaches. I read somewhere where Bono has indeed worked with a voice coach--perhaps not enough! They didn't lose their voices but the voices changed, sometimes big time.
Perhaps. I don't really know. But I do find it distressing how much his voice cracked on that album. His continued abuse of alcohol and tobacco isn't helping him any.
Old 07-05-2002, 02:02 AM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Mulholland Drive

Perhaps. I don't really know. But I do find it distressing how much his voice cracked on that album. His continued abuse of alcohol and tobacco isn't helping him any.

Not to get too invasive here but I don't call going out for drinks invasive--abuse of alcohol is "alcoholism". I should know, I've had it in my family. No, tobacco doesn't help either but again, I actually don't think he smokes that much. From what I've read he sneaks out for the occasional smoke. This is not cool but I'd argue that some of what we're talking about is also time. I'd really like to know what makes a voice crack, physiologically. Some singers totally lose the use of one of their vocal cords and have to strengthen the others. Their voices do change; they don't have the belting power they had at one point; it's just physiology.
Old 07-05-2002, 11:43 AM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by blood red edge
His voice is much more crystal clear in the JT days.

But hey, that's what smoking'll do to ya!

I can really notice it in WOWY
Definitely. That's one of the reasons why I just listening to WOWY on R&H.

Bono's voice was still good during the Zoo TV tour, but not as 'whole' as it was in JT. If you listen to the Elevation bootlegs, his voice has somewhat aged and is a bit weaker. OTOH, there's so much SOUL to it now.
Old 07-05-2002, 11:58 AM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by dizzy

Definitely. That's one of the reasons why I just listening to WOWY on R&H.

Bono's voice was still good during the Zoo TV tour, but not as 'whole' as it was in JT. If you listen to the Elevation bootlegs, his voice has somewhat aged and is a bit weaker. OTOH, there's so much SOUL to it now.

I think it's quite nice, actually---hey, I like it!
Old 07-05-2002, 12:32 PM   #27
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:03 PM
I am just going to throw out my two cents as someone who took voice lessons (for classical singing) …

Consuming certain things may irritate the vocal folds (which must vibrate in a particular pattern in order to produce voice) in two primary ways:

First, eating chocolate, spicy food, caffeine, and alcohol can increase the stomach’s production of stomach acid, which in turn can irritate and inflame the vocal folds, causing symptoms such as hoarseness, cough, and throat clearing, as well as a sensation of “lump in the throat.”

Second, caffeine and alcohol can indirectly result in a decreased quality of voice. Caffeine, for example, is a nervous system stimulant that can cause hyperactivity and tremor, both of which can affect your voice adversely. Alcohol is a nervous system depressant that can promote discoordination of speech and voice. Also, excessive alcohol intake can impair judgment, resulting in unhealthy vocal production.

If you are a singer, it is even more important to avoid alcohol or caffeine because even minor dehydration of your vocal folds can lead to a decrease in performance. If you do consume substances with caffeine or alcohol, it is suggested to drink one glass of water for each glass of caffeine or alcohol.

The chemicals and heat of first (or even second) hand smoke irritate the entire lining of the throat (including the vocal folds). Long-term exposure to cigarette/cigar smoke causes changes to the vocal folds. The vocal folds become enlarged due to swelling. This swelling is from an accumulation of fluid inside the vocal fold. This causes the voice to become rougher and less reliable.

The physical demands of singing necessitate optimal health, beginning with adequate amount of rest, aerobic exercise, a moderate diet (and alcohol consumption), and absolute avoidance of smoking.

I am not making any judgement about Bono’s consumption of alcohol or smoking, I am just talking about the general effects of them. In college I had my share of nights out partying and had to sing the next day … the effects of second hand smoke, alcohol, and a lack of sleep (and a lot of caffeeine to help me wake up) was not good for my voice.

About vocal range …

Typically, untrained voices have narrower pitch range than trained singers, due to lack of "register" development. The term "register" is used to describe a series of tones that are produced by similar mechanical gestures of vocal fold vibration, glottal and pharyngeal shape, and related air pressure. Some common designations of registers are the "head" register, "chest" register, "falsetto", etc.

Singing requires transitions from one register to another; each of these transitions is called a "passaggio" ("passageway"). Lack of coordination of the laryngeal musculature with the breath support may result in a "register break", or obvious shift from one tone quality to another. Untrained male voices and female "belters" tend to "break" into falsetto/head voice in the upper range. Regardless of the style of singing, a "blend", or smooth transition between the registers is desirable.

A person’s range can also change as they age. The most obvious change occurs in men during puberty when the voice deepens. However in both men and women, hormonal levels fluctuate change over the course of a lifetime and can alter tone, pitch and range.

It’s also possible that at some points he may have had some sort of a vocal chord dysfunction (like nodules) resulting from too much use.

Sooooo …

I guess what I am trying to say in all of this is that there are a variety of reasons why Bono’s voice sounds different at different points in his career … his age, smoking, drinking, stress, dysfunction, seeking formal voice training, etc.
Old 07-05-2002, 01:14 PM   #28
Refugee

wow jessica ann, i learned something today!

Quote:
The chemicals and heat of first (or even second) hand smoke irritate the entire lining of the throat (including the vocal folds). Long-term exposure to cigarette/cigar smoke causes changes to the vocal folds. The vocal folds become enlarged due to swelling. This swelling is from an accumulation of fluid inside the vocal fold. This causes the voice to become rougher and less reliable
well... most of the concerts i'vebeen to, fans were smoking pot and cigarettes--this is a rock concert people, not a charlotte church one!! don't expect crystal clear singing.
Old 07-05-2002, 07:15 PM   #29
The Fly

For one thing Bonos voice is WAYYYYY better then EVER before,and why is it ?Like I said before I had read in a magizine that's called Voice channel(I finally remembered the name) it was rating male vocals in rock music it was done by some sort of vocal lesson staff who trained the like of pavoritti and others like him.Any way they said the the higest regesteried male falsetto since 1994 was Bono and then Jeff Buckley before he passed on (sad) following others they also said our man Bono would be a top choice for a opera singer!!! due to the fact of his amazing vocal dextarity and incredible range.The magizine was printed in 2002 so as we can see by way of experts he still has it and always will.I agree he has gotten raspy BUT compare the soul in his voice in 1987 to 2002 he clearly has a hell lot more due to him changing the way he sings and learning how to properly convey his emotion in his voice wiohout geting hourse like he did ALL the time in the 80's and earley 90's he learned how to save his voice and yet sill hits the highest notes WITHOUT using his falsetto voice.He also can put more emotion in his voice by changing his vibrato tones in his singing .Bono is NOT a good singer but a GREAT one and will be known for his stunning piches and range listen to the Boston tape at the beginning of SIAM the magizine says those notes he hits are equalvilent to a opera singers highest note!!, and it was done by a male rock star SOOOO from B-man learning from B.B KING and other SOUL and blues artist (who he has said taught him how to put SOUL in his voice)he is better sung and singing.

peace, Rythemwire:
Old 07-05-2002, 07:56 PM   #30
Blue Crack Addict

Cool notes, people! I'm learning something (shock!)
Old 07-06-2002, 02:14 AM   #31
Babyface

Hi! I'm new - my first post here. Actually, I lurked a lot on here and other U2 forums, and finally registered.

First, rythemwire, where did you read this article? Can you provide a reference or the text? I think it would be a great read and perhaps settle this argument once and for all.

I'm a big JT era fan with regards to Bono's voice. And I agree with another post that said he sounds like an opera singer then. It's true - he does. I guess that's why I love it so. However, I also noticed that his voice shifted - it went from his normal singing to this opera voice for the high notes. What I like now is that Bono hits those high notes without going into an opera voice, which is even better. Either way, I think his voice is still great. That Grammy performance - WOW! I thought it was 1988 again!