Question For Women!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikal

Blue Crack Addict
If a guy is taken, does that make him more attractive?

If so, why?

Just curious cause it seems like when I'm in a relationship, I get hit on a lot more than I do when I'm single. I still get hit on a lot though.

------------------
11 MORE DAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey, Cookie Manwhore!

Well...I'm not sure what it is...I think it's something about wanting what you can't have. When I got hooked up with drgnwolf1969, I had 3 guys ask me out in one day! WTF?? *lol*

BTW, I'll have my cell on tomorrow...I'll probably be in town earlier than I thought!

------------------
PLEBA: It's Just A Stinkin' Forum!!!!!!! Yeesh!!!!!!!

yes. from personal experience, a guy is absolutely more attractive when he is "taken". gosh, i really can't articulate why that's so. i guess it's kind of like, when someone tells you that you can't have something, it makes you want it even more; sort of a challenge i suppose. hmmm...really i'm trying to figure out the exact reason behind that phenomonom myself.

And once you have them..... you dont want them anymore.

smilies18.gif

------------------
Spacejunk Coming In For The Splash

Sicy's Website

Originally posted by SicilianGoddess:
And once you have them..... you dont want them anymore.

smilies18.gif

Damn right! LOL

------------------

Originally posted by Johnny Swallow:
I'm so unappreciated.
frown.gif

Awwww!!!!

*Hugs Johnny, kicks zoomanda under bed*

icon16.gif

------------------
"I suppose I do everything in extremes-laugh a lot, cry a lot, fight a lot, make love a lot, eat too much, drink too much, try too much, cry too much. Pass the onion..." -Bono

~April~(AIM:pOPLemonGirl)

*~The Official POP_Whore of Interference~*

Originally posted by LarryMullen's_POPAngel:
Awwww!!!!

*Hugs Johnny, kicks zoomanda under bed*

icon16.gif

Whore!
wink.gif

------------------

Aww Juan....

You know you RAWK! You're the exception, of course, and deathbear.

When I am in relationships, a lot more (very, very, very cute )guys hit on me.

When I'm without boyfriend, no one pays attention to me. Which is the case right now, and has been for the last two years.

Whenever I see a guy that I find attractive he either is:

-attached
-or has no interest in me whatsoever

yea.

Maybe cause when you're in a relationship that makes you more datable. Alright let me try to translate myself. uhm like when people are single you kind don't know what a person would be like in a relationship. So like the idea that you can be in a relationship, and people see how you handle yourself in one may cause people to rethink their doubts and be more open to the idea of dating you.

Does that make any sense?

-Marina

Originally posted by mikal:
Whore!
wink.gif

You know you love it, Cookie.

hehe
wink.gif
tongue.gif

------------------
"I suppose I do everything in extremes-laugh a lot, cry a lot, fight a lot, make love a lot, eat too much, drink too much, try too much, cry too much. Pass the onion..." -Bono

~April~(AIM:pOPLemonGirl)

*~The Official POP_Whore of Interference~*

I honestly never looked at it this way, I don't know why, but yes this seems to be the case with a lot of people. To me people don't necessarily look better because they're taken... I mean if they're available then they don't feel tied down at the moment and you have a better shot of getting with them. haha I dont mean that in a purely sexual sense
tongue.gif

Then again, if a guy is taken, then you know that they can be committed, which is a good thing. OK so this has two sides to it *obviously hasn't thought this through...*
wink.gif

Originally posted by mbi16:
Maybe cause when you're in a relationship that makes you more datable. Alright let me try to translate myself. uhm like when people are single you kind don't know what a person would be like in a relationship. So like the idea that you can be in a relationship, and people see how you handle yourself in one may cause people to rethink their doubts and be more open to the idea of dating you.

Does that make any sense?

-Marina

I think that's a really good insight, Marina. That's definitely the best explanation I can come up with.

That said, I really can't say I've actively tried to pursue a girl who's taken. Not even hit on more than I would if she was single. Maybe it's respect, maybe it's just that I'm too nice sometimes, but if she's happy in the relationship, then I try to stay out of it. A little harmless flirting is fine, but I'm not comfortable purposefully flirting to create some attraction and take a girl's attention away from her boyfriend. It just seems too dishonest and sneaky for me.

But then, all's fair in love and war...

[This message has been edited by Diemen (edited 10-05-2001).]

Originally posted by Naya:
When I am in relationships, a lot more (very, very, very cute )guys hit on me.

When I'm without boyfriend, no one pays attention to me. Which is the case right now, and has been for the last two years.

Whenever I see a guy that I find attractive he either is:

-attached
-or has no interest in me whatsoever

yea.

Switch genders and that's basically the pattern of the past 6 years of my life. Although it's finally starting to change for the better.

It's the thrill of the chase. I personally haven't tried to break anyone up, but some friends of mine are constantly on that mission.

------------------
-The Shitty Beatles? Are they any good?

-They suck!

-So it's not just a clever name...

I think it the desirability factor goes up for 'taken' people simply because someone else finds them desirable...someone else is not afraid to be seen in public with them...so if you are seen in public with them you wil not be thought a loser..
biggrin.gif
So therefore since you don't want to be seen as a loser so you want them to up your own reputation...

Just kidding...I really have no idea.

I think Marina gave one of the two reasons why taken men/women are more 'attractive'.

The other reason is (imo) that when someone sees you with another person, they think that you have a lot to offer since you're making your boyfriend/girlfriend so happy.
"Hey, if he has a girlfriend, he certainly is a good catch!"

Obviously, that's not always accurate, but we can't change how people think, can we? (I wish I could, lol)

wink.gif

Hmm...whether someone is taken or not doesn't influence me at all. It's just that everyone who I do like is either taken or doesn't want me.

*sigh*

"Love is an illness...but if there's a cure, then I don't want it." - Melon (lol...)

Melon

------------------
"He had lived through an age when men and women with energy and ruthlessness but without much ability or persistence excelled. And even though most of them had gone under, their ignorance had confused Roy, making him wonder whether the things he had striven to learn, and thought of as 'culture,' were irrelevant. Everything was supposed to be the same: commercials, Beethoven's late quartets, pop records, shopfronts, Freud, multi-coloured hair. Greatness, comparison, value, depth: gone, gone, gone. Anything could give some pleasure; he saw that. But not everything provided the sustenance of a deeper understanding." - Hanif Kureishi, Love in a Blue Time

I think when you are dating someone it is natural to have more confidence about yourself which is for the most part an attractive feature to others. Your getting some so that always makes you feel good and your not out there looking for someone, so you don't look desperate.

I think all of these things and those stated in previous posts make someone more attractive when they are taken.

I heard a great quote at a bar in Tampa over the weekend. A hot girl walks in the bar with a guy and my buddy and I notice her. I say too bad she has a boyfriend. My friend says "Just because she has a goalie doesn't mean you can't take a shot." Great line.

All I can add to this is that in my experience, if I find a guy attractive, I will either find out within five seconds that he's taken, or he isn't taken but within five seconds he will be, by someone other than me.
biggrin.gif

I don't actually find guys attractive when they're already taken. Well, unless they're the kind of guy you HAVE to find attractive!

------------------
"I am so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis." -Zaphod Beeblebrox

Aaah, one of my favourite topics. I am one of those people who longs for things she can't have, namely certain foods and certain men!

Being married is just like being on a diet of one of your favourite foods. That doesn't mean you don't crave other foods, you're just supposed to stick to your diet.

That doesn't mean that I'm not very happy in my relationship, it's just that old expression, "I may be married, but I'm not dead!"

I think harmless flirtation with others is good for your own relationship because it makes you feel that you are still desirable, and yet empowered to choose your own relationship.

I find it very depressing feeling invisible, as I was all through high school. For people like me who are insecure, attention/flattery is very good therapy!

My own 2 cents.
smile.gif

when I was single - I was not thought of as attractive

now I'm in a relationship - and I'm not thought of as attractive

moral of this story: none

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

Back
Top Bottom