question for ATYCLB bashers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Exactly. It fills a hole ATYCLB created. That's why most of the reactions are so positive. We haven't heard such a song in a long time. I know they can make Kite's, Walk On's etc. I didn't know they could make such an uptempo rock song at this time of their career.

i fear they've lost a bit their ease of handling since 1995.
they try to mixup too much styles together on every new album after zooropa. thats what i fear for the new album. hopefully i am wrong. by all means VERTIGO is not the saviour that i expected this song should be. no expectations anymore!

You know, I've been thinking about this since I first heard Vertigo, and I've come to the conclusion that I don't think it's fair to judge HTDAAB by Vertigo. U2 themselves have mentioned that Vertigo is a fun romp of a rock song, and I doubt that the entire album will be like this. Actually I hope it's not like this. Even though it's great to hear the boys showing a little swagger and fun again, it's the depth of U2's music and message that interests me most, and in that respect Kite kicks the crap out of Vertigo. :D

I'm going to reserve judgment until I hear the whole album, but I think U2 still may be going in a similar single-oriented vein as ATYCLB. But I want to be challenged by this album. ATYCLB is easy to like. The songs are all easily accessible, some of them deceptively so - as they are deeper than they appear. But I like songs that challenge me from the start. I didn't like a good 1/3rd of Achtung Baby the first few times I heard it. It took me a while to soak up what Zooropa was all about. I'd like that kind of challenge again, but I'm not sure if U2 are interested in returning to that kind of approach to albums anymore.

We'll see.

Well, imagine if one judged AB entirely by Mysterious Ways (pretend it was the first single). It's a lot like Vertigo, actually: a fun veneer with a profound core, and more blatantly derivative than most U2 songs, but done well, and with a very U2 "signature." That's really the key for me.

Besides, from what little I know about U2 and the Vines, it seems less likely to me that U2 is copying the Vines, and more likely that both bands have common influences, like the Ramones. If U2 sat down and decided to write a raw, exciting song akin to the punk rock of their youth, naturally you would end up hearing the Ramones, Television, etc.

I dont really like ATYCLB, but I like Vertigo, it sounds great and I am hopeful that this new album is going to be good. Although I dont really think that this song is groundbreaking though...U2 are normally pretty adventurous and this time they have gone down a safe road, however I am happy that it is a safe road that I like to travel down instead of the easy listening adult contemporary road that was ATYCLB,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

@East 17: i was wrong, THE FLY was the first single of Achtung Baby. Mysterious Ways was the 2nd

jacobus said:
@East 17: i was wrong, THE FLY was the first single of Achtung Baby. Mysterious Ways was the 2nd

And they said PRETEND Mysterious Ways was the first.

Back
Top Bottom