Question about the HMTMKMKM video - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-21-2003, 08:12 AM   #1
War Child

Local Time: 04:40 AM
Question about the HMTMKMKM video

I finally saw it all the way through for the first time this weekend, but I don't understand I always heard MacPhisto was killed in this video, but I saw the Fly get run over, then he was dead on the operating table with a flatline, then his heart started to beat and he jolted, and the other band members looked in shock, then he came back to life as MacPhisto! He got up and drove away in the Macmobile. Experts, what's the story?

Old 10-21-2003, 08:23 AM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:40 PM

i know this is off the topic , and its a completly diffrent video....
but i dont really get the Last night on earth video....with the old guy at the end

Old 10-21-2003, 08:39 AM   #3
War Child

Then let's make this an all purpose "I don't get it" video thread! I also don't get the "All I Want Is You" video. Who died, the girl or the little person?

Wasn't that the famous writer William Burroughs at the end of LNOE? I know the band were fans of his and he appeared mysteriously at the end of one of their videos.
Old 10-21-2003, 08:49 AM   #4
Acrobat

Well if you look carefully when Bono as teh Fly gets rundown he's reading a copy of teh teh Screwtape letters. Theres a shot of the book on the ground just after he gets rundown I believe. Hence him becoming a devil after the accident. Goes with the whole supervillian creation story thing that comes out of the comic/superhero theme of the video.

Just as a note for anyone who doesn't know. Macphisto is a corruption of Mephisto or Mephistopheles (sp?) from Marlowe's play Dr. Faustus. Mephistopheeles is a devil who basically offers Faustus the world for his soul --> pop music offering the world for the artists soul.
Old 10-21-2003, 08:57 AM   #5
War Child

Thank you, that explains a lot! I never would have guessed . <--- me
Old 10-21-2003, 09:46 AM   #6
ONE&lt;br&gt;love, blood, life

Location: Lookin' for the face I had before the world was made
Local Time: 12:40 AM
check out the "It's a Musical Journey" forum too
Old 10-22-2003, 12:21 AM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 10:40 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Leeloo
Then let's make this an all purpose "I don't get it" video thread! I also don't get the "All I Want Is You" video. Who died, the girl or the little person?
I never considered the girl dying. What would she have died from?

I've always thought the little guy died, but his ghost came back so he could put his ring in the ground with his body, as kind of a sad way of finalizing the fact that he never wound up with the girl he loved.

Course, that is kind of a big coffin for a little guy...

Gah, I don't know.

Blacksword, ah, thanks for the explanation. I get it now. .

As for the "Last Night On Earth" video...I've never seen it, so I can't comment on that one.

Angela
Old 10-22-2003, 11:58 AM   #8
Refugee

just like to say that The Screwtape Letters is written by C.S.Lewis which consists of a series of letters written by a old devil to a young devil with advice on how to capture a soul... just in case any of you don't know! (no I haven't read Screwtape myself!)
Old 10-22-2003, 01:56 PM   #9
Refugee

Local Time: 11:40 PM
I thought the midget showing up at the end of AIWIY was an ironic thing, like you think he died but it was her? Maybe she fell her death from a trapeze? Or got eaten by a tiger? The MacPhisto cartoon is very, very cool.
Old 10-22-2003, 01:56 PM   #10
Refugee

Yes it is William Burroughs at the end of LNOE.
Old 10-22-2003, 09:53 PM   #11
Acrobat

Oh let me say everyone shoud read the Screwtape Letters. Great book. Not too long either.
Old 10-23-2003, 11:06 AM   #12
Acrobat

Local Time: 05:40 AM
the vid to HMTMKMKM looks like it was drawn by a 7 year old. i understand it was made within a week which is meant to be impressive for animation. makes it look proper shoddy tho
Old 10-23-2003, 01:34 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

I still think it's hella-cool. Where else are you gonna see The Fly and Mac in one place at the same time?

Anyways, I was always under the impression that neither of them died. I just thought it was an unresolved battle.

About the AIWIY video, I think the little guy dies, and his spirit comes back to sort of bury the ring and his love for the woman together. The strongman feels his presence and that's what he nods for. That's always been my feeling anyways.
Old 10-23-2003, 03:08 PM   #14
Refugee

Local Time: 08:40 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Blacksword
Oh let me say everyone shoud read the Screwtape Letters. Great book. Not too long either.
Yes it is. Or check out the audio book version, read by John Cleese (perfect casting, IMO!)

I liked HMTMKMKM. I thought the art was pretty decent (certainly better than a lot of today's cartoons!), but I would've liked to have seen more MacPhisto vs The Fly scenes. Two of Bono's personalities duking it out! (That's okay, he's got plenty more...)
Old 10-23-2003, 03:56 PM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Sue DeNym

I liked HMTMKMKM. I thought the art was pretty decent (certainly better than a lot of today's cartoons!
You noticed that too? Today's cartoon artwork for the most part SUCKS! It started with Rin and Stimpy I think, the trend of drawing things either very ugly or very badly. They seem gross in a mind warping way. I can't stand the sight of Rugrats or Wild Thornberries or SpongeBob Big, ugly, lumpy, creepy looking heads with bulging eyes and giant chompy mouths and teeth hanging over no chin on a pencil neck! Knowing how hard it is to make a cartoon, and how many frames it takes, why would anyone bother to draw something 10,000 times and draw it so badly
Old 10-23-2003, 04:04 PM   #16
ONE
love, blood, life

The girl dies in AIWIY. That's the twist.
Old 10-23-2003, 04:27 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 10:40 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by DaveC
About the AIWIY video, I think the little guy dies, and his spirit comes back to sort of bury the ring and his love for the woman together. The strongman feels his presence and that's what he nods for. That's always been my feeling anyways.

Exactly.

So, MrBrau, if that's the case, then how does she die?

Angela
Old 10-23-2003, 04:34 PM   #18
ONE
love, blood, life

Her heart stops beating.
Old 10-23-2003, 05:24 PM   #19
Refugee

Local Time: 08:40 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2Kitten
You noticed that too? Today's cartoon artwork for the most part SUCKS! It started with Rin and Stimpy I think, the trend of drawing things either very ugly or very badly. They seem gross in a mind warping way. I can't stand the sight of Rugrats or Wild Thornberries or SpongeBob Big, ugly, lumpy, creepy looking heads with bulging eyes and giant chompy mouths and teeth hanging over no chin on a pencil neck! Knowing how hard it is to make a cartoon, and how many frames it takes, why would anyone bother to draw something 10,000 times and draw it so badly
I'm rather picky about artwork, too. And I agree, so many of today's cartoons are horribly drawn. You can't even tell what species the character is half the time! With the advancement of computer animation, you'd think they could take a little more time with the drawings and make them a little easier on the eyes...
Old 10-23-2003, 07:05 PM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Really. The saddest thing is the characters look to be purposely drawn badly and ugly. If it were just bad animation I'd think that was the best they could do, or it was cheaper. I can't understand putting that much work into something so-- bad I'm sorry for the kids today!

Even Saturday morning is dying. When I was a kid it was a big deal. Every year they'd have the special on a Friday night introducing the new shows. My favorite was The Secret Life of Waldo City. He was a real cat who had fantasises he was a super hero in another story, and he would turn into a cartoon. There have been some cheap shows through the years too, but anything is better than the creepy stuff out there now.