Question about the Boston and Brooklyn DVD's/concerts... and a rumor.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MattFromNYC

War Child
Hello all,

I was talking to a fellow U2 fan from U2.com and they were saying that during the taping of the Boston and Brooklyn DVD's they singled out "the beautiful people" to get in (to the 'heart' section?), or something like that. But they didn't know much more. I've seen references to this on other boards too. What is this all about? Supposedly, it was widely discussed and even made some news articles... not sure where or what.
Was this of the band's idea? Or management? or the directors?
I'd just like to know this was not the band's idea.

If anyone can shed some light on this, I'd greatly appreciate it. That sounds very UN-U2ish to me. Where did this rumor start? I have seen references to this on other U2 boards and this one, and even non-U2 places, but nothing specific.

Matt

Last edited:
nbcrusader said:
they have an interesting definition for the term "beautiful people"

..."The beautiful ppl, the beautiful ppl - it's all relative to the size of your steeple. U can't see the forest for the treeeeees - and u cant smell ur own shit ON UR KNEES.."!!:rockon:

(sorry - I hijacked the thread!):ohmy:

Beautiful people ?? :laugh:
Yeah right !! These beautiful people you're referring to
were "barbie dolls." People who were "made up" to ACT like they
were enjoying those concerts. What a joke !! :lol:
Next time U2 ... just bring out the real U2 fans ... we would give
a much better performance than the "barbies" did !! :yes:

Seriously - I still havent noticed this on the Boston DVD! I always read the comments on threads like these, but I keep forgetting to look out for it when I watch!

I SHALL REMEMBER NEXT TIME!!!:wink:

Aardvark747 said:
Seriously - I still havent noticed this on the Boston DVD! I always read the comments on threads like these, but I keep forgetting to look out for it when I watch!

I SHALL REMEMBER NEXT TIME!!!:wink:

All I can tell you is ... keep your eyes on the GA idiots in the front
section of the stage !! These beautiful people REALLY do
"take the cake" !!

Aardvark747 said:
During any particular song?

Boston DVD ... Elevation, Out Of Control, Streets and Pride ...
IMO, to name a few.

Brooklyn Bridge performance ... Hmmmmmmm ?????? :hmm:
I think All Because Of You ... is one that stands out here !! :yes:

[sings]
You're such a beautiful freak,
I wish there were more just like you,
You're not like all of the others,
And that is why I love you.
Beautiful freak, beautiful freak,
That is why I love you.
Beautiful freak, beautiful freak.

I'm sorry :wink:

MattFromNYC said:
Hello all,

I was talking to a fellow U2 fan from U2.com and they were saying that during the taping of the Boston and Brooklyn DVD's they singled out "the beautiful people" to get in (to the 'heart' section?), or something like that. But they didn't know much more. I've seen references to this on other boards too. What is this all about? Supposedly, it was widely discussed and even made some news articles... not sure where or what.
Was this of the band's idea? Or management? or the directors?
I'd just like to know this was not the band's idea.

If anyone can shed some light on this, I'd greatly appreciate it. That sounds very UN-U2ish to me. Where did this rumor start? I have seen references to this on other U2 boards and this one, and even non-U2 places, but nothing specific.

Matt

nice... i guess this mean's that i'm beautiful, considering i was about 5 feet from the stage @ brooklyn.

Aardvark747 said:
I shall look as soon as I get home later! I wont forget this time!!:wink:

I just double checked this to confirm my choices ...
Here's what I've noticed on these particular tunes ...

IMO ... these fans are NOT "overly-excited" during the concert. Their "enthusiasm" looks "fake" ... or maybe as if they were
"programmed" ( told when to respond excited ) like a "crazed" fan. But their general performance is DEFINITELY "phony" indeed.
It seems like they were "placed" there at the concert, so maybe the band wouldn't have to hear all that screaming and crazy excitement right there in the front area ... because these beautiful
people DON'T look like they're glad to be there at all !!

The front section audience reactions ( that are phony ) ...

Elevation ... the first several front rows ALL jump up and down
in the SAME rhythm ... throughout the whole entire song.
( This is the ONLY time they look REALLY, REALLY excited ... but in unison ... at at once ... jumping around ?? ... Fake !! )

Out Of Control ... the audience stands COMPLETELY STILL in one
spot without moving ... only seen occasionally clapping.
( An "Out Of Control" audience ... yeah, right ! )

Streets ... the audience at the back of the heart are really overly
enthusiastic, and again the crowd in the front are dead as a door nail ... and here's the kicker ... U2 are performing at the front of the stage as well !!

Pride ... the audience in the back area at the show, are singing
those oh-oh-oh-ohs ... and everyone else in the front areas, are NOT doing anything at all ... they're standing there ... giving back
no response at all !!

Well ... true U2 fans will get very energetic during the LIVE concert
experience ... and that's the difference ... It's more realistic !!
You can tell the people in the far back areas are the fans ... who
really are enjoying this concert and WANT to be there.

Last edited:
Aardvark747 said:
During any particular song?

Okay ... major boo-boo with posting here at Interference ...
The website was working on the server and booted me out again
while trying to edit my posts ...

"Out Of Control" and "Pride" are actually performances that I feel should be mentioned here also, but they are from the Slane Castle DVD performance. I believe these performances from Slane can also be considered in this thread topic ...

MsMofoGone said:

Streets ... the audience at the back of the heart are really overly
enthusiastic, and again the crowd in the front are dead as a door nail ... and here's the kicker ... U2 are performing at the front of the stage as well !!

that was me!! i was there!! jumping higher than everyone! everyone in front of me was poo-pooing. i didnt care. i was soooo excited! (yay!! memories... )

anyway, wow... so people are still talking about this last-minute "supposed" plucking of pretty people?

well, i don't even know where to begin with all of that. i can start by telling you that i flew 2000 miles and got in that line brightnfreakin early, like everyone who wanted to be in the heart. i am a huuuuge fan and no distance or amount money or lost sleep was going to keep me from a shot at that. that said, you can guess i was a bit confused when door-opening-time was near and all of the sudden there are all these people being randomly taken from the line and brought in early.

i knew they were filming the video, so it wasn't a complete shock, at the same time it didn't conjure deep resentment/summon-the-raging-devil-within either. i still made it in the heart, along with A LOT of now VERY angry fans who felt they were betrayed somehow w/ the whole line situation. and sure, some random people (some pretty, some not; honestly, RAAANDOM) got to stand 3 feet closer than some other non-so-random-people, but to make it in the heart and then spend the first 5-6 songs SITTING ON THE FLOOR (this is what a huuuuge block of people did; in protest?! :confused: ) just seemed so childish and bratty to me.

i mean, dont get me wrong, i UNDERSTAND why people were upset, but seeing the bigger picture -- you are on the floor, in the heart, seeing a band you LOVE (i know plenty of people who would've given anything just to be in the buidling!) -- i just couldn't understand that behavior/reaction. so what if someone 100 places behind you in line got handed a free t-shirt and ended up on a dvd?... who cares??! especially with regards to these "bigger fans" who I KNOW have seen U2 dozens of times, front and center and then some. there just seemed to be some serious entitlement issues overriding the reaction at the time. and i don't know... while i empathized, i just wasn't vibing with that. i went to go have a religious experience w/ my favorite band and that's exactly what i did - hbo or no hbo, heart or no heart, organized line or stolen-election-style-organized-chaos.

oh, two last things: 1. i don't think anything was "fake" as far as crowd reactions. cmon now... it's not like those people who got pulled to the front were picked up from outside the britney spears concert. they also came to see U2 (keep that in mind). 2. mixed crowd emotions/reactions aside, there is no faking that kind of energy/love. that sh*t was real!

my peace

Last edited:
No, I think they were right to protest. What was the point of the line then? That's what lines are for. "To get in."

------------------------

Bring back Jick and freedom of speech...

mle_626 said:

that was me!! i was there!! jumping higher than everyone! everyone in front of me was poo-pooing. i didnt care. i was soooo excited! (yay!! memories... )

anyway, wow... so people are still talking about this last-minute "supposed" plucking of pretty people?

well, i don't even know where to begin with all of that. i can start by telling you that i flew 2000 miles and got in that line brightnfreakin early, like everyone who wanted to be in the heart. i am a huuuuge fan and no distance or amount money or lost sleep was going to keep me from a shot at that. that said, you can guess i was a bit confused when door-opening-time was near and all of the sudden there are all these people being randomly taken from the line and brought in early.

i knew they were filming the video, so it wasn't a complete shock, at the same time it didn't conjure deep resentment/summon-the-raging-devil-within either. i still made it in the heart, along with A LOT of now VERY angry fans who felt they were betrayed somehow w/ the whole line situation. and sure, some random people (some pretty, some not; honestly, RAAANDOM) got to stand 3 feet closer than some other non-so-random-people, but to make it in the heart and then spend the first 5-6 songs SITTING ON THE FLOOR (this is what a huuuuge block of people did; in protest?! :confused: ) just seemed so childish and bratty to me.

i mean, dont get me wrong, i UNDERSTAND why people were upset, but seeing the bigger picture -- you are on the floor, in the heart, seeing a band you LOVE (i know plenty of people who would've given anything just to be in the buidling!) -- i just couldn't understand that behavior/reaction. so what if someone 100 places behind you in line got handed a free t-shirt and ended up on a dvd?... who cares??! especially with regards to these "bigger fans" who I KNOW have seen U2 dozens of times, front and center and then some. there just seemed to be some serious entitlement issues overriding the reaction at the time. and i don't know... while i empathized, i just wasn't vibing with that. i went to go have a religious experience w/ my favorite band and that's exactly what i did - hbo or no hbo, heart or no heart, organized line or stolen-election-style-organized-chaos.

oh, two last things: 1. i don't think anything was "fake" as far as crowd reactions. cmon now... it's not like those people who got pulled to the front were picked up from outside the britney spears concert. they also came to see U2 (keep that in mind). 2. mixed crowd emotions/reactions aside, there is no faking that kind of energy/love. that sh*t was real!

my peace

If you were standing inline at say a bank, post office or whatever. 10 people from the line behind you were served b4 you , jumped the queue , you would be pissed would you not.

What is the difference?

Bono was quoted as saying "he wanted people with jobs to get a chance to be in the heart"

These fans who travelled thousands of miles and saved up for couple of years to go to all these shows. They have jobs and for them this was a vacation of sorts.

i totally understand where everyone is coming from. i am one of those people who spent money i MOST CERTAINLY didn't have and traveled 1000s of miles for that too. believe me, i was NOT HAPPY AT ALL when the line turned into a free for all. so i understand the disappointment PERSONALLY. but at the same time, i didn't want that to be the focus of my evening, you know? i mean, i was still where i wanted to be, and sure politics played a not-so-nice hand, but such is life. these things happen all the time. if i were to react emotionally enraged everytime someone cuts me off in traffic (i live in miami - it's a daily occurance!) i can theoretically just live in a continum of negative energy, or i can just let it go. it's a choice. i guess i'm just of the philosophy of "choosing my battles", and for me that one was not worth the price - the price being, that on top of everything i had gone through to be there, i was gonna have a sh*tty time too, because i CHOSE to, not because i had to. even if i had been mad enough to protest, it sure wouldn't have happened then and there.

and of course anyone can/should protest if they want to. it wasnt hurting a soul, and it is certainly their right. i'm not telling people what they should and shouldn't do/feel. i'm all for expressing WHATEVER. (that is not the issue).

i guess i just didnt expect it, and was trying to understand the whys and WHYS of the situation. i mean, everytime someone brings up this incident, it comes coupled with such deep offenses, and i just wasnt feeling that.

anyway, my purpose for writing all that was: a. to understand and b. (if possible) to offer a more democratic angle.

Last edited:
mle_626 said:

If it was random, and they really didn't pick only the 'beautiful' people and they really just picked anybody randomly, then what was the point of it?

Aardvark747 said:

..."The beautiful ppl, the beautiful ppl - it's all relative to the size of your steeple. U can't see the forest for the treeeeees - and u cant smell ur own shit ON UR KNEES.."!!:rockon:

(sorry - I hijacked the thread!):ohmy:

Oh aardvark you made me Loose it, I couldn't stop laughing, good old marilyn manson hahaha

You said: "Bono was quoted as saying "he wanted people with jobs to get a chance to be in the heart" "

As in people with careers? or boob jobs? i'm not sure what you meant following the rest of your original post....

Oh well, at least it isn't anything like the "KISS- I was made for loving you-live in austalia-video).

The concept of this video was-hey let's get 1000 tramps on video who look horney because KISS is the hottest looking band in the world"

What the fuck ever....

Wouldn't it be cool to see a live dvd form u2 with extremly "ugly" people in the crowd...ugly in the eyes of the rotten western society that is..

Rock on people....going to Chicago Going to Chicago!!!

:drool:

I am not touching Boston. I wasnt there.

Brooklyn however I was. And trust me, there was no plucking of people to get to the front. We all ran like the dickens to get to our spots... :wink:

Miroslava said:
I am not touching Boston. I wasnt there.

Brooklyn however I was. And trust me, there was no plucking of people to get to the front. We all ran like the dickens to get to our spots... :wink:

Miroslava, are you that beautiful girl with the dark hair?
who was dancing during I will follow I think...you were caught on camera...

Miroslava said:
I am indeed the goof with dark hair

:shifty:

:shh:

The Goof...lol

Are you kidding me? You are gourgeous (don't know if that's the correct spelling but anyway...) and you look a lot my sweetheart so that helps...

:wink:

Back
Top Bottom