question about people who bono pulls up on stage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MattFromNYC

War Child
I've noticed that it always seems like he looks around purposely for those model-types, or who look a lot like his wife ali... instead of those who just would really like to be up there with him.

for those of you who have been to a lot of u2 shows and been up close enough, have you noticed that this is the case? or is there a certain pattern to his choosing people or a certain type or only those very attractive people? i'd hate to know that he'd reject someone who maybe was not by soceities standards "attractive".
he doesnt cross me as the type who'd single out like that.

and, kind of off-topic of that, does he ever bring guys up? not for the sexy "Mysterious ways" parts and such, but for other things.

who's gonna pull some ugly girl on stage?
(im not being mean, its the truth!)

MattFromNYC said:
and, kind of off-topic of that, does he ever bring guys up? not for the sexy "Mysterious ways" parts and such, but for other things.
He usually pulls guys up to play guitar. There was also the guy at San Diego 2 that he pulled up to say things in Spanish for him.

MattFromNYC said:
I've noticed that it always seems like he looks around purposely for those model-types, or who look a lot like his wife ali... instead of those who just would really like to be up there with him.

for those of you who have been to a lot of u2 shows and been up close enough, have you noticed that this is the case? or is there a certain pattern to his choosing people or a certain type or only those very attractive people? i'd hate to know that he'd reject someone who maybe was not by soceities standards "attractive".
he doesnt cross me as the type who'd single out like that.

No... i don't think he pulls up a certain type of girl. I don't think Bono has a standard, either.

He's pulled up a variety of people this tour and past tours. He has brought up both men and women to dance, play guitar/sing, and he also has brought up children.

Call Bono your Equal Opportunity Rock Star.

Moonie :D

Neither one of the Phoenix shows had model-type girls on stage. The first night Bono brought a guy on stage to strut about during Zoo Station. (I think it was said somewhere that Bono has brought the guy on stage before, but I'm new here and to U2 concerts in general, so forgive my cluelessness on this fact.) The second night Bono danced with a black girl who I thought was gorgeous, but she was hardly the anorexically thin model-type.

MattFromNYC said:

I'm not at all surprised he'd pick a girl who looks a lot like his wife though.

I know many girls would love that chance to go up on stage and dance with Bono, but I'd be freaked out by that. I do plan to try being up close to the stage with the GA's I got, but I'm gonna try for Adam's side, so there's no way I'd even remotely have a shot of being picked, and because Adam looks so cool on stage. I don't look like Ali, well except the hair and eye color, and I'm no model-type.

You think Larry hates being in the spotlight, sheesh. I'd hide behind the drum kit too. Nothing against Bono, I just don't like being the center of attention, especially like that. Hate giving oral speeches in college.

Last edited:
Not that I'm going to any of the shows (or would be picked if I did), but I'd refuse if he picked me. I'd be totally creeped out by it. :shrug:

I just had a thought. I remember reading something Bono said once (it was probably in that book written about U2's faith by the Northern Irish priest, name escapes me).

He mentioned that a couple of times, once they got known, must have been the late 80's/early 90's, the girls he pulled up started preaching at him cos "he was a bad Christian etc", not being fundamentalist enough yada yada. He had to hold on to one girl firmly to get her to listen to what he was saying/singing. (I can't remember the full story - pls anyone if you know this story, please post).

That's why he likes the pretty girls - they probably won't do any Bible thumping!

:wink:

blueeyedgirl said:
I just had a thought. I remember reading something Bono said once (it was probably in that book written about U2's faith by the Northern Irish priest, name escapes me).

He mentioned that a couple of times, once they got known, must have been the late 80's/early 90's, the girls he pulled up started preaching at him cos "he was a bad Christian etc", not being fundamentalist enough yada yada. He had to hold on to one girl firmly to get her to listen to what he was saying/singing. (I can't remember the full story - pls anyone if you know this story, please post).

That's why he likes the pretty girls - they probably won't do any Bible thumping!

I remember there was something about this in the U2 At The End of the World book. It was at a ZooTV concert and the girl was giving him a lecture about dressing up like the devil. :rant: :mac: I can't remember all the details though.

MattFromNYC said:

I kinda disagree about the whole "Ali" thing. I mean, if a chick is caucasion and has brown hair, everyone thinks she looks like Ali and assumes Bono "picked" her b/c she's like Ali. How many caucasian chicks have brown hair? That's right, a LOT.

I would dare say that if you made a list of EVERYONE Bono has pulled up on stage, not even half would look like Ali. First of all, he pulls up guys and kids. And then there's the girls who look NOTHING like Ali, dark hair or not.

Last edited:
MattFromNYC said:

LOL!! Creeped out? I bet you'd give in and go up anyway. :wink:

Originally posted by blueeyedgirl
You say that now.....

Well, considering that part of the reason I'm not going to be going to any of the concerts is that large crowds freak me out...I don't think if I did manage to go that getting up on stage in front of such crowds would be something I'd even consider no matter who was doing the asking.

Besides, I imagine if you hesitate he moves on to someone else....

blueeyedgirl said:

Yes, I remember reading that. It's from Walk On: The Spiritual Journey of U2 by Steve Stockman.

It was during Zoo TV and the girl asked Bono if he was still a believer and if so why was he dressed up as the devil. He asked her if she had read The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis. He said, "They are letters from the devil. That's where I got the whole philosophy of mock-the-devil-and-he-will-flee-from-you." She had read it and he said, "So you know what I am doing?"
She responded, "I want to bless you."

I always thought that was interesting. There are a lot of things I could imagine saying to Bono, but "I want to bless you" is at the other end of the spectrum from the things I have in mind.:flirt:

I am actually trying to lose weight for my GA experience in NOV. I was in Brooklyn, 25 lbs overweight and got very little (if any) attention from Bono. I have bright blue eyes and shoulder dark brown length hair. Someone on the other side of my friend got TONS---I MEAN TONS of attention, He ate her up. He commented to her, sang to her, looked at her. She had those Spanish eyes dark hair, etc. Of course she knew all the words to the new songs (before released -- or I would have too). She was singing and beautiful. We actually all know her...Miroslava. I was so jealous!!! But in a good way for her. Watch Jammed U2, you see her a lot, me a few times, but she was on a lot. I was guilty of telling her she looked like Ali, and she said she'd been told that before. So needless to say, I am considering brown contacts, weight loss and other things--alcohol to loosen up a bit since I cannot :dance: ofcourse, that could make matters worse...think of Elaine on Seinfeld...she looks like pro compared to me!!! LOL

Please don't preach about being happy with who I am...never have and never will. Have lots of therapy to prove it!! LOL

BTW: Miroslava is so awesome and nice and totally cool! I was glad to meet her---envious---but glad for her ;)

Last edited:
ree5669 said:
I am actually trying to lose weight for my GA experience in NOV. I was in Brooklyn, 25 lbs overweight and got very little (if any) attention from Bono. I have bright blue eyes and shoulder dark brown length hair. Someone on the other side of my friend got TONS---I MEAN TONS of attention, He ate her up. He commented to her, sang to her, looked at her. She had those Spanish eyes dark hair, etc. Of course she knew all the words to the new songs (before released -- or I would have too). She was singing and beautiful. We actually all know her...Miroslava. I was so jealous!!! But in a good way for her. Watch Jammed U2, you see her a lot, me a few times, but she was on a lot. I was guilty of telling her she looked like Ali, and she said she'd been told that before. So needless to say, I am considering brown contacts, weight loss and other things--alcohol to loosen up a bit since I cannot :dance: ofcourse, that could make matters worse...think of Elaine on Seinfeld...she looks like pro compared to me!!! LOL

Please don't preach about being happy with who I am...never have and never will. Have lots of therapy to prove it!! LOL

BTW: Miroslava is so awesome and nice and totally cool! I was glad to meet her---envious---but glad for her ;)

LOL, have you ever seen the "Red Rocks" video, Bono's :dancing: is well, you can't help but giggle.

Well I'd imagine a girl who looked like his wife, would get lots of attention from him, only natural. If he was paying that same kind of attention to someone, who say, looked like Pamela Anderson, I might go :eyebrow: wait a sec.

I read from one reviewer at u2tours.com, that Adam very much played to the girls up in front on his side, not flirting per se, just smiling at those there. So guess where I'll be trying for in GA come this November. Figure out how he plays some of the songs too, I'm a better visual learner than anything else. I would like to see how he plays "A man & a woman", but not sure the chances of that making the set list. And I'd get to see Larry playing that keyboard thing up close. Larry girls, you wanna get up close to Larry, that's where to be.

Last edited:
I plan on getting into the elipse bomb shelter in November too, a first GA experience for me, and I'd like to stay in the center to see it ALL and equally. I really don't have any favorites in U2, I love all the guys. It's the music that's magical!

ree5669 said:

I am not sure what you were trying to say in your post.
That he really does give more attention to someone who is modellish or Ali-ish and kind of just doesn't the same way with other women?

Or was the post kind of an honorary post to Miroslava? and not really meant to say he ditches lesser exotic women? (tho like I said, i find all women, who are good-hearted.. exotic.. inside and out. im a woman addict, i know.)
Miroslava, whom, from what I have seen is indeed very beautiful and funny as well!

And you sound very much so as well.

If this was a serious post, of course, I am sure he thought the same of you... but he probably recognized Miroslava.. because haven't they met previously a few times at shows? or did i misread? so, in that case, they already had a previous knowing of eachother.

Edgey said:

Yes, I remember reading that. It's from Walk On: The Spiritual Journey of U2 by Steve Stockman.

I always thought that was interesting. There are a lot of things I could imagine saying to Bono, but "I want to bless you" is at the other end of the spectrum from the things I have in mind.:flirt:

Thanks Edgey, I knew I had forgotten the story.

Yep "I want to bless you" is not high on my list of Bono things to do either! :evil:

And to all the posters who feel Bono's gonna pass them by, well all I can say is I'm past the target age group for dancing eye to eye with Bono, dammit :mad: but then when I was in the age group, I never got close enough anyway!

And it didn't matter cos I was there to see my favourite group, listen to those songs which literally had changed my life and "feel the love" coming off all the other U2 loonies! :love: :laugh:

And that's all that matters in the end.
Course anything else is always a bonus!
:up:

Okay, let's not even talk about age!!! I know that is something I cannot change...I will be 36 then. I just feel sexier when thinner (obviously) and that goes a long way. Plus it is time to do something about the wt anyway. :(

MattFromNYC:
I was guilty of telling her she looked like Ali,
So yes, from what I have seen, most of the time, I feel like he goes for the dark complected - haired- eyed girls. I have all of the above but the eyes. My post was serious about wanting to get on stage, but obviously, I am not a kid, or a 20 something gal, so no matter how thin, dark, etc, it probably "ain't" gonna happen!!!!! When we were in Brooklyn, she didn't mention meeting him previously. I had an awesome time in your great city last Nov. U2 rocked and EVERYONE we met in Manhattan was really nice. Maybe it was just this Bama accent. Who knows???

This is a very sad yet truthful thread.

The B-man is no different than any man and has his personal preferences in women, but when he is up on stage, it would really elevate his credibility if he was a bit more diverse in the women he pulls up on stage.

Just reminds us that Bono has his downfalls too.

I agree, Jamila. Most of the girls are pretty normal looking atleast--for dark haired thin white caucasians!!!! Not glamourous or such...just pretty. He should start this new diversity thing with me!!!!! ;) A mid thirty year old sz. 14 gal!!!! All kidding aside, I was glad to hear he pulled up an African American. I had not ever seen him do that, I think.

He pulled a guy up on stage Seattle Night 1. Cris. A guy had a shirt that Bono liked. Pulled him up on stage during the end of Elevation.

Jamila said:
This is a very sad yet truthful thread.

The B-man is no different than any man and has his personal preferences in women, but when he is up on stage, it would really elevate his credibility if he was a bit more diverse in the women he pulls up on stage.

Just reminds us that Bono has his downfalls too.

I don't really agree- Look at the first girl he pulled up in the leather! I've met him and I'm no model, I'm petite blue eyes auburn hair and he paid attention to me when I met him :eyebrow:

ree5669 said:
Okay, let's not even talk about age!!! I know that is something I cannot change...I will be 36 then. I just feel sexier when thinner (obviously) and that goes a long way. Plus it is time to do something about the wt anyway. :(

MattFromNYC:

So yes, from what I have seen, most of the time, I feel like he goes for the dark complected - haired- eyed girls. I have all of the above but the eyes. My post was serious about wanting to get on stage, but obviously, I am not a kid, or a 20 something gal, so no matter how thin, dark, etc, it probably "ain't" gonna happen!!!!! When we were in Brooklyn, she didn't mention meeting him previously. I had an awesome time in your great city last Nov. U2 rocked and EVERYONE we met in Manhattan was really nice. Maybe it was just this Bama accent. Who knows???

Are you referring to meeting him before the show or actually during the concert in the crowd?

But anyways, I'm more so just referring to when they are outside the venue, meeting fans or in more personal situations... does he seem to give more attention to someone more beautiful than not.
Or hardly gives the "lesser" one attention.

Not that I, personally believe in these terms or use these terms "less beautiful", etc... just clarifying by using "society's standards" (UGH, I hate that term... "society's standards"..)

one4u2 said:

I don't really agree- Look at the first girl he pulled up in the leather! I've met him and I'm no model, I'm petite blue eyes auburn hair and he paid attention to me when I met him :eyebrow:

I don't agree either. Like I said earlier, I won't buy this whole Ali-lookalike thing until I have proof that he *mostly* pulls up these girls. Maybe if we looked at ONLY the GIRLS he pulls up, there MIGHT be a trend, but he pulls up guys, and lots of kids too. And, like I also said before, being white with brown hair doesn't mean you look like Ali.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

I don't agree either. Like I said earlier, I won't buy this whole Ali-lookalike thing until I have proof that he *mostly* pulls up these girls. Maybe if we looked at ONLY the GIRLS he pulls up, there MIGHT be a trend, but he pulls up guys, and lots of kids too. And, like I also said before, being white with brown hair doesn't mean you look like Ali.

:up:

I was hoping this thread would die as it personally makes me a little bit uncomfortable (though I know that is NOT what ree intended, so no worries at all :hug: )

From what I have seen, Bono pulls all kinds of women up on stage... if anything I think he discriminates against those of us that are tall!! Boooo Bono, Booooooooooo!

:mad: :madspit:

Last edited:
blueeyedgirl said:
And to all the posters who feel Bono's gonna pass them by, well all I can say is I'm past the target age group for dancing eye to eye with Bono, dammit :mad:

I will never be at the dancing eye-to-eye level with Bono. I stand at 5 feet eleven and three quarter inches tall. Without my shoes on. Throw on a pair of sneakers and I'm over six feet. Dance with him? I should probably hope for him to just lead me around like he did with Tiffany at the Anaheim 1 show, who by the way, was right in front of me the entire night. She was my height with those huge club shoes she had on. I know, because most, if not all of my pictures have either her head or her horns in them. ;)

Then again, I'm not going to dress like that because it's not a look I can pull off. heh.

I don't think he'd ever pick me. And if he did, I'd ask him if I could walk over to Larry and watch him play for awhile. :D

ree5669 said:
I agree, Jamila. Most of the girls are pretty normal looking atleast--for dark haired thin white caucasians!!!! Not glamourous or such...just pretty. He should start this new diversity thing with me!!!!! ;) A mid thirty year old sz. 14 gal!!!! All kidding aside, I was glad to hear he pulled up an African American. I had not ever seen him do that, I think.

I have to disagree with you and Jamila on Bono only pulling up women that fit a certain stereotype.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: He pulls up women of *all* types. Of the three shows I went to at the beginning of the tour, he pulled up two. The first one in Anaheim was Tiffany. She had a very different look about her. However, she was TALLER than him with her shoes on. She had a very eclectic look. He took to her look from the very beginning of the concert. Allie, another girl who was pulled up in San Jose, is dark complected and beautiful. She was not your typcial "brown haired, brown eyed caucasian." I wasn't in Glendale for the show, but I've seen the pictures. And the woman who was pulled up for that does not fit the stereotype some of you think Bono has.

Sure, he has picked girls who look like Ali, but I think that's few and far between.

Some of you are really hoping to be pulled up and think Bono wants a certain look. He doesn't. I think he pulls up people who either advertise (heh.) or who look like they are having the time of their lives. I say go and have a blast and if he pulls you up, great. If he doesn't, don't beat yourself up over it. It's not something to be overly depressed or sad about. Just enjoy the show U2 is putting on. After all, that's what the ticket you bought is for.

Back
Top Bottom