Question about crowd involvement in U2:3D theaters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theu2fly

Refugee
I'm going to see U2:3D tonight, and just have an inquiry... when other people saw it, did people in the theater cheer, applaud... etc?

I plan on cheering and applauding...

Well, if you like in the UK, as it looks like, they are going to be still like mould.

When I went on Weds with my other Italian friend I think we rocked the place, and probably annoyed everybody else. We could only see feet tapping and a couple of guys next to us were more active and mimicking some drumming.

Aardvark and Pamkellet were there as well but behind me, how was the view from your side guys?

Let me know how it goes for you.

edurban said:

Aardvark and Pamkellet were there as well but behind me, how was the view from your side guys?

I was a lot more into it than the other week, a lot of controlled moshing from me during The Fly, LAPOE and others!:wink:
The people either side of me were dull as hell tho. One i'm convinced was asleep and the other sat rigid for the whole movie!:ohmy:

Just go for it i'd say. If you feel like clapping at the end of a song just do it!:up:

I thought it was canceled in your town?

Applaud all you want, who cares if others aren't...

Personally, I've never understood people who applaud at movies, unless the cast or the writers are there in the audience there's no point. The theaters don't really forward the message onto the band or anything...

I was going to reply but realise that I don't want to, because today I would be offensive and the last time I felt this way I screamed "fucking hell" in the middle of the office. :censored: :censored:

So, I shall meditate, try to calm down, and just say that I guess everybody is different.

The crowd was disappointingly dead still and quiet. :tsk:

My husband and I were doing our usual head bobbing and thigh thumping but then noticed that no one in the theater was even doing that much!!! It was fascinating. I found myself scanning the crowd throughout the movie. Now keep in mind that we were in a gargantuan IMAX theater - thats a lot of people to scan.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
I thought it was canceled in your town?

It's re-opening today, the 22nd... it had been pulled for some reason but now it's showing.

yeah it looks like it's in the regular digital 3D movie theaters starting today... :D

I am gonna go check it out and see what the experience is like on the small screen.

It's only half the fun if you're not in a cinema full of U2 fans. I haven't seen it yet - it starts here on March, 12 - but I've heard from people who went to Dublin some days ago that the crowd was really quiet, which I think can be very frustrating. Of course, reason tells you that there is no need to cheer and applaud, but if your emotions take over: so what. I personally would because I will e so enthusiastic and excited to see it. I think I'd feel uncomfortable seing this film without any response from the cinema audience. But then again, it's no concert. But I even tend to get excited as hell when I'm watching U2 on video alone at home. :wink:

Man, there was so much clapping and hooting and hollering going on, but you couldn't tell what was coming from the audience and what was coming from the speakers. The movie really immerses you in the live crowd watching the show, and with surround sound.....

SeattleVertigo said:
Man, there was so much clapping and hooting and hollering going on, but you couldn't tell what was coming from the audience and what was coming from the speakers.

The first half of your sentence made me go :shocked: because both times I saw it at the Pacific Science Center, there was hardly any clapping or anything.

But yeah, sometimes you think the crowd is finally getting involved and then you realize it's the movie.

I didn't mind so much - while I wanted to sing and cheer and stuff, it's still a movie, so you either have to go with the flow or risk having cups of soda thrown at your head.

MrsSpringsteen said:
The crowd has to be involved at a movie? And that has an effect on your enjoyment of it?

It didn't ruin the movie for me but I found it interesting that no one was head bobbing to the beat or enjoying the incredible sound system. Most of the crowd was sitting stock still - it was eerie. Even at a movie musical the audience sways a bit to the music.

MrsSpringsteen said:
The crowd has to be involved at a movie? And that has an effect on your enjoyment of it?

At a movie? No. At a U2 3D concert movie? Yes. Becaue I honestly don't think that I can watch a U2 concert like that without moving or showing my enthusiasm. After all, it's about the music and not following a plot. And if there is no reaction from the audience, it's creepy. :huh:

And I also cry in movies. A lot.

At first I was very aware of my surroundings. Once you get into the movie/concert, you start head-bopping and not caring about anybody else or what they may think.

I really enjoyed it last week and am going again tonight.

Hi Ele and Aardvark, I must admit I sat pretty still the first time I saw it as I was trying to take it all in though my foot was tapping quite a lot! I saw it twice in Manchester the day after London and the crowd was more into it there - some clapping and more head bobbing/ thigh slapping, but I agree at times its hard to decide whether the noise is from the theatre crowd or in the movie. I saw the film again today in Leicester, just a 3D not Imax and there was only 1 other person there, but it was the 430 screening. Its much better on an Imax screen for the fine details, the normal 3D screen is tiny in comparison and the sound was much better in the Imax. Manchester was fab - very loud and I`m sure the screen was bigger than London. Shame that so far its only showing till 29 Feb in Manchester so I won`t be able to get up there again.

coolian2 said:
Sit down, shut up and be glad you're seeing it at all

I don't think so..:wink:
I really didn't think I was going to get to see this at all
Not going nuts or anything. But some things are beyond my control. The people I'm going with know this so they are excited for me. The other people, I don't give a f.. fig.

We sat back row center at the IMAX in Indianapolis. Generally people were pretty quiet--I think in awe of the size of it. :wink: Some folks were keeping time by clapping, etc.; but I didn't hear anyone talking incessantly, which I find very annoying at movies. Some folks actually reached up to touch Bono's hand. :reject: Hey, I wasn't the only one, either! I even heard somebody holler, "I love you, Bono!"

BonoVoxSupastar said:
Personally, I've never understood people who applaud at movies, unless the cast or the writers are there in the audience there's no point. The theaters don't really forward the message onto the band or anything...

I concur.

martha said:
Some people behind me last night kept talking. :angry: It's nearly as annoying as when people fucking talk during the songs at the actual concert. STFU already.

You must have bionic ears to hear people talking behind you at a concert

Christ, i couldn't even hear myself think.

Back
Top Bottom