Question about Chicago- Outside Broadcast Tour - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-01-2003, 05:44 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:53 PM
Question about Chicago- Outside Broadcast Tour

So the venue was the World Amphitheater, which is now one of the Tweeter Centers. How did they fit the Zoo TV stage into an amphitheater? Where did the b-stage go, and the ramp? How did they make those big towers? I'm just curious as to how an amphitheater could accomdate Zoo TV.

Old 04-01-2003, 06:35 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 07:53 AM
The ramp to the b stage went on an incline up to near the back of the pavillion, if you were near the front of the main stage you actually were turned around looking UP to the band when they were out on the b stage.

No towers, they lined stadium speaker stacks on the walls beside each side of the stage and hung the ZOO TV sign on the left stack at the top. They had all the same main screens and the ramp that Bono walked accross at the beginning during Zoo. They also had most of the trabants as well. They did not have the Crane Trabant spotlights though that were used on the rest of the Outside Broadcast tour.

Chicago Outside Broadcast had some interesting moments with Edge. First night the Tryin girls snatched his cap off his head. He was NOT amused. The 2nd night I watched as he got pissed about the sound and walking back to the main stage from the B stage he kicked in one of the on stage moniters. Of course the 3rd night Chicago was one of the greatest U2 shows of the Zoo tour IMO. Just check out the setlist sometime. Not to mention that locals in Tinley Park were complaining about the noise from the show. Also Phil Joanau was filming shots for the Whose Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses video the 2nd night. If you look closely at some of the live shots, you will see that it is The World Amphitheater.

Old 04-02-2003, 08:47 AM   #3
Refugee

Local Time: 08:53 AM
I saw the 3rd show in this venue (the show that was moved from Champaign when ticket sales were slow - can you believe it?!). Propaganda came through with 9th row seats in front of Adam. Amazing show, wish I'd had the chance to see another ZooTV gig, so I can't really compare the staging to any of the other shows. Great setlist, though. (Anybody have a boot of it?)

Unfortunately, my most vivid memory of this show is the two-hour wait to get out of the parking lot afterwards.
Old 04-02-2003, 12:10 PM   #4
War Child

Local Time: 01:53 PM

Blue Room

I always think that this images from WGRYWH video came from Yankee Stadium show!! This images seems from a baseball stadium!

Vox
Old 04-02-2003, 12:14 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

A lot of the shots are from a stadium, yeah. But there are shots that are definately from an amphitheater. Since that was the only amphitheater on the tour, that's where it was from. You can tell by the rising seats in front of the stage, and the big pillars in the middle of the audience that support the roof.
Old 04-02-2003, 07:29 PM   #6
War Child

http://tweetercenter.com/chicago/

Web site

Vox!
Old 04-02-2003, 07:36 PM   #7
War Child

Ok!!

The are images from two different venues in this video. One from a stadium ( Yankee Stadium I think ), and a clear image of an amphitheater, with an iluminated crowd

Vox!!
Old 04-02-2003, 07:53 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Vox02, cant you seem me waving in the video?? LOL
Yes, as pointed out, there are Yankee stadium shots but there are also shots from the Chicago 9-16-92 show. The shot at the very end of the video is Chicago. I actually am on it, cant you see me? LOL
Old 04-02-2003, 08:16 PM   #9
War Child

I see you, I see you!! hehehe

Vox!!
Old 04-03-2003, 11:49 AM   #10
The Fly

Hey Blue Room. Were you at the show the girl yanked off Edge's cap? If so, what exactly was his reaction.
Old 04-03-2003, 07:18 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by salty72
Hey Blue Room. Were you at the show the girl yanked off Edge's cap? If so, what exactly was his reaction.
Its hard to put into words. I was actually 7th row on Adams side and it happened on the ramp, so I wasnt right in front of it. But lets just say he was not laughing. Kind of that "I cant believe you did that" reaction. He just kept playing but he did not look happy. As soon as he got it back at the end he put it back on, he didnt say a word to the girl (there were two of them up there). He just walked back to the B stage.