Question About 'Beautiful Day' (David Homes Mix)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Michael Griffiths

Rock n' Roll Doggie
I've been away from the board, so I don't know if this has already been discussed...

At rollingstone.com, there's a free 30 day download of this new David Homes 'Beautiful Day' mix. There's no vocal, just guitars and drums. My question: is this U2, or is it another band? The guitars, in particular, sound different than anything in the original mix. It actually only has a couple recognizable riffs. I didn't even think it was the right track until it got going. That said, it's a good straight up rock n' roll instrumental. Anyone have a take on this?

it's not really new, it was on the australian bd single waaaaay back. i would assume the guitars are from some mix of the song, perhaps so far back in the mix you can't hear them at all in the final version.. i don't really know though

Hello,

Skeek is mostly correct. This song does go waaaaay back as it was an extra track on an Australian release. However, it was not on the BD, but on one of the Stuck... singles (the one with the live tracks of BD and NY). Here's the (additional) info from it:

Beautiful Day
(David Holmes Remix)

Additional remix production and remix by David Holmes
Programming by Jagz Kooner
Engineering by Phil Mossman at Echoplex, London W10
Additional keyboards: Darren Morris
Additional guitar and bass guitar: Phil Mossman
Additional drums: Zac Danziger

So it appears that there are also other musicians playing on the remixed track. But it was released as a U2 track.

C ya!

Marty

Yeah, it's a couple years old. Rolling Stone is slow. Liner notes from the "Stuck" single.
Music by U2. Lyrics by Bono. Produced by Daniel Lanois and Brian Eno. Engineered by Richard Rainey. Assisted by Chris Heaney. Additional production by Steve Lillywhite. Mixed by Steve Lillywhite. Additional engineering by Tim Palmer and Stephen Harris. Additional remix production and remix by David Holmes. Programming by Jagz Kooner. Engineering by Phil Mossman at Echoplex, London W10. Additional keyboards: Darren Morris. Additional guitar and bass guitar: Phil Mossman. Additional drums: Zac Danziger.
It doesn't sound like there's very much from the original present, but the above insists that it's a remix. Go figure. I love it anyway.

I found that after SEVERAL repeated listens to this track and the album version of "Beautiful Day" that in fact many, if not most, of the sounds on it are in fact in the original, very deep in the mix. Others are borrowed directly from "Always" (listen closely). The drums are a bit heavier (more garagey) and the bass line different in Holmes's mix, which I believe is the main difference.

Why is Bono credited for lyrics? There is a vocal in the track: "Daaaay..."

Back
Top Bottom