Question about "Bad"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RobH

The Fly
Some of you fanatics must know the answer to this...
Why did the band re-edit "Bad" for the 1980-1990 collection to eliminate the second set of "woo-hoos"? I know this is the way they've been performing it for years (even from the beginnning, as shown on the live version from the EP), but why re-write history and change the studio cut? Did Bono hate the original production so much? Was it NEVER have supposed to have been that way and they were just righting an old wrong?
Speculation welcomed, but factual answers are what I'm looking for.

No..I don't think so...first of all, it hardly saves any time off the length of the song (10 seconds at most) and the other factors I mention in the original post seem to hint at something else. In addition, the song was never a big radio hit for top 40. The cut should be the same as on the original album, regardless. I need a better answer.

I've often wondered about this and the only feasible explanation I can come up with is they just cut the track (while using Radio Edits of other songs for that matter) to fit onto the sides of the LPs it came on. They could easily fit it all onto CD, but I'm guessing it's impracticle to make a seperate set of tapes for a CD version AND a Double-LP version.

Maybe it's just a different mix? We have a line changed on Mysterious Ways on the other Best Of. Might have just been a different mix they did at the time and they chose it over the album one for unspecified reasons.

KhanadaRhodes said:

that is the radio mix. iirc, that verse isn't featured in the video.

But hey, the radio plays the full version of the song... not the cut-off version.

The Best Of version is nearly a full 20 seconds shorter that the original version. A lot of songs on the Best Of were single/edit versions. When you consider all of the time saved from all of the edits, you end up having enough room to add a song that you may not of otherwise. This is the only explanation that I could come up with that make some sense.

Back
Top Bottom