Question About ABOY Video

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

namkcuR

ONE love, blood, life
When it shows Bono singing on the truck...is it supposed to be out of sync with the audio? Or is the video I downloaded just bad?

I get the feeling that the video is bad when I watch it but I never noticed it being out of sync.

he is singing live to a backed track for the synching (timing) and since he is singing live, the "mouthing" won't always line up. The very end shows Edge look out of time with the music as well.

In other words, I think it's proof that they weren't driving around just miming to a track, but playing along with one because in order to have it line up, they had to be synched.

Or something similar to that.

U2DMfan said:
he is singing live to a backed track for the synching (timing) and since he is singing live, the "mouthing" won't always line up. The very end shows Edge look out of time with the music as well.

In other words, I think it's proof that they weren't driving around just miming to a track, but playing along with one because in order to have it line up, they had to be synched.

Or something similar to that.

it doesn't match because they took the hours of footage of them playing the song live over and over and over and over and then edited it down to a 3 minute video and matched the action to the studio version of the song...

that's why it doesn't really match, and that is also why they manage to move all the way through manhattan and across the bridge in those 3 short minutes.

I know you're trying to be clever, but the point is why his mouth doesn't match the song, not why they magically traversed such a distance in 3 minutes or why the actual scenes don't match.

If he had mouthed them perfectly each time, it hardly matters if they do it 5 times, 500 times, for 20 minutes or 20 hours, the point was...he was singing LIVE to the the studio version of the song, if he had mimed along it likely would have matched. I don't think anyone is "lost" on the magic of film editing.

U2DMfan said:
I know you're trying to be clever, but the point is why his mouth doesn't match the song, not why they magically traversed such a distance in 3 minutes or why the actual scenes don't match.

they are one and the same as posed in the question.

If he had mouthed them perfectly each time, it hardly matters if they do it 5 times, 500 times, for 20 minutes or 20 hours, the point was...he was singing LIVE to the the studio version of the song,

wrong.. he was singing LIVE to the LIVE version of the song which could have and probably did change slightly with each performance.

they never followed a backing track (i.e. the studio version) during the shoot

there would have been no way for him to mouth anything perfectly to the studio version that day because the studio version wasn't playing and wasn't heard by the band.

if he had mimed along it likely would have matched. I don't think anyone is "lost" on the magic of film editing.

exactly my point...

in fewer words, here is the simple version: it would have matched if they were lip synching, but they werent. it was live every time, and thus didn't match.

don't take things so personally.

and by the way, I wasn't trying to be clever...

I AM CLEVER!!!!

Clawgrabber said:

in fewer words, here is the simple version: it would have matched if they were lip synching, but they werent. it was live every time, and thus didn't match.

First off, I don't take anything around here personally for sure.

Secondly, in your fewer words you said exactly what I said originally.

U2DMfan said:

The performances aren't the same, quite obviously.
I was trying to say, it didn't match because it wasn't perfectly mimed or sang (in this case, I'm sure was singing) to the backing track.

So we disagree on the backing track........

They absolutely play to a backing track for tempo. If the backing track is 130 bpm, then the live take will be 130 bpm or damn close. That's why they do it. Or else, they have an album track at 130 bpm, and if they are just "winging it" live, it could be 110 bpm or way off and it wouldn't even come close to lining up. It's the same reason they always play to a click track in the concerts for seqencing and some sort of 'original backing' on videos for synching. Or else, it would really look like a mess.

namckuR's original question:
"When it shows Bono singing on the truck...is it supposed to be out of sync with the audio?"

It's not out of synch because of they way it was edited together, it was out of synch because of they way it was performed, to a backing track. They used the backing track for ABOY the same night under the Brooklyn Bridge, I think it's probably the same one.

If they weren't playing to a backing track, then I'd say they did a damn good job of editing it together. I don't beleive that though.

Back
Top Bottom