Q Magazine snippets - now Consolidated (Pics added 12/29/08 & 1/1/09)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You guys make good points. I think it borders on manipulative/sappy as far as songs go. Things are shitty, so walk tall and they can never take away your soul. I think a close reading of the verses displays more depth, though, as you guys point out.

You guys make good points. I think it borders on manipulative/sappy as far as songs go. Things are shitty, so walk tall and they can never take away your soul. I think a close reading of the verses displays more depth, though, as you guys point out.

Well its all personal preference, right?

We can both agree on what the song is more or less saying and trying to get across but still have different opinions of it. So I understand where you're coming from.

I personally can't stand WOWY anymore because its borders on manipulative/sappy...not to mention that it reminds me of the video where Bono stands there in his leather vest, with tight pony tail, wearing guitar and swaying back and forth like he's drunk or high...needless to say I hate that video. :wink:

Well its all personal preference, right?

We can both agree on what the song is more or less saying and trying to get across but still have different opinions of it. So I understand where you're coming from.

I personally can't stand WOWY anymore because its borders on manipulative/sappy...not to mention that it reminds me of the video where Bono stands there in his leather vest, with tight pony tail, wearing guitar and swaying back and forth like he's drunk or high...needless to say I hate that video. :wink:

Haha! His outfit is a little questionable. But I think I got over the weirdness of his dressing after watching Rattle and Hum so many times. And people are complaining about eyeliner? Look at him during Bad. Good gracious.

"You've got to leave it behind." IMO, Walk ON is less about encouragment and more about having to let go, "Kite-esque".

Exactly :up:

My step dad was dying at the same time as Bono's dad. I felt Walk On was appropriate to the situation we were going through watching him die :sad:

At the time Walk On used to rip my heart out, :sad: especially the line "packing a suitcase for a place none of us has been" :sad: So clearly in my mind reffered to getting ready for death :sad:

Once my step dad died, the day after Bono's dad's funeral, the record actually took on a brand new meaning, and still does today. It is now about hope and the future

It is this line "And I know it aches How your heart it breaks You can only take so much Walk on leave it behind"

That line then filled me with hope for the future, in so far as what I was going through broke my heart, but you can only take so much of heartbreak before you have to walk on and leave it behind or it will destroy you

Well that's my take on it anyway :reject:

I still find it one of my all time faves today :heart: If I feel down or anything, I put that on and it makes my soul sing, such an emotive song :love:

Well, thing is I do understand and respect their stance and opinion on charity and privacy and I wouldn't want that any other way. The idea of them coming out and saying 'look at us, look how much money we give' is just nasty. (Although it might possibly make the cynics shut up a little bit).

Also, I did mention in my original post that I agreed with the idea of moving tax abroad since it made perfect business sense, however, my main concern was the way in which it was handled quite badly - Bono is one of the most eloquent celebrities the vast majority of the time, its just a pity he couldn't be a tad more eloquent in approaching this issue, which has tarnished the band in a number of people's eyes (unfortunately the vast majority don't know or want to know the deep facts of the issue, they only know what the press has them believe on it).

Not to engage in a 'debating row' with the press as you put it, just to not brush it off like in the Q article by saying 'yes but i've always said i'm a sinner, blah blah' with the same old cliches.

If he'd approached it and justified it in pretty much the same way you did very well then it could be swept under the carpet and left alone; all I'm saying is that a little bit of PR on the issue would have been great.

I don't understand why they would need to address this further with Q when this issue is almost two years old. They addressed it when it first came up and if they don't brush it off at this point it becomes and endless round of repeating the same defense over and over. If this hadn't been a rehashing of a two year old issue then I might agree he could have addressed it, but if you go back and look at interviews done both when the change in the tax law was being debated and right after they moved the publishing you will see that they gave their answer. Bono's point now is that to continue to bring this up over and over is just crank's carping from the sidelines and he is electing not to get into it.

Dana

Just to let you know that the March 2009 Q magazine does not have any review of the new album but just a 2 page advert for NLOTH with similar graphics for the GOYB single.

Just to let you know that the March 2009 Q magazine does not have any review of the new album but just a 2 page advert for NLOTH with similar graphics for the GOYB single.

:sigh: Maybe it'll be March before any of us here in the States actually get our hands on the U2 issue....

I'm guessing it'll be on US shelves in early February. The one on the shelves now has Kings of Leon on the cover ... maybe we're a month behind.

Can UK folks tell us if the U2 issue was right after the KOL issue? I saw the KOL issue here the first week of January, so hopefully it will be soon!

Yes it was. KOL were on the cover before U2. Next issue after this next one should have the official Q review then.

People in the States, are you still seeing this issue in Borders, Barnes & Noble, etc.? The last time I checked, I could only find the KOL issue, and I haven't had time to go back and look for it again.

People in the States, are you still seeing this issue in Borders, Barnes & Noble, etc.? The last time I checked, I could only find the KOL issue, and I haven't had time to go back and look for it again.

Do you mean are we still seeing the U2 issue? It hasn't hit the shelves in the US yet---the KOL cover is the issue before the U2 one, so you're not missing anything yet. :wink: I asked a guy at Barnes & Noble and he said it wouldn't hit shelves until after Jan 25th.

I haven't looked, but I'm not going to stop by the newstand at Pike Place Market ( :drool: ) until the first week of February, and will hope to see it then.

I'm a North American (not U.S.) subscriber, and I finally received my issue about a week ago, so it should hit U.S. stores any moment now, certainly by early next week.

Oh good. I figured it had been out here for at least a week or two and I was going to have a hard time finding it. B&N is on my way home from work and Borders is at the mall not too far from my house, so I should be able to track it down when it finally does hit stores. Hopefully I won't forget!

Back
Top Bottom