Q Magazine snippets - now Consolidated (Pics added 12/29/08 & 1/1/09)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mercy was not part of the Complete U2.

You can read this thread to see the origin of Mercy.

http://www.u2interference.com/forum...cy-the-b-side-w-achtung-bab-mercy-102136.html

It's rather fun to go back and read through that thread. Possibly the greatest day ever in Interference history. And U2SJ should be rushed through to Sainthood for it, even if we never really got the full story of where it came from.

It's also clear that the response was overwhelmingly positive. It's funny to see how excited and impressed Axver was, as he's not an Achtung Baby fan, which to me Mercy most sounds like.

Yeah, thats what I was thinking too.

Imagine that....an album that would actually be BETTER than J-Tree or A-Baby. I'm pretty optimistic for this album...but I just can't believe that they were able to top those two classic records.

I doubt it, but I don't see why not.

The hard thing about topping JT and AB is that those albums are so steeped in history, image, and the emotions of us listeners & fans that it really would be impossible for a new album to top them right off the bat. In 10 years' time, it's possible that we may think a new album is equal to or better than JT or AB, but for those of us who've really become so attached to those albums, I don't think anything can touch them without growing on us for some time.

The hard thing about topping JT and AB is that those albums are so steeped in history, image, and the emotions of us listeners & fans that it really would be impossible for a new album to top them right off the bat. In 10 years' time, it's possible that we may think a new album is equal to or better than JT or AB, but for those of us who've really become so attached to those albums, I don't think anything can touch them without growing on us for some time.

yeah, i have to agree with you here. I think there is a possibility of coming close or maybe on the same level but with a different feel/vibe I think.. I am having a hard time pinpointing what I am trying to say..:reject:

Yeah, thats what I was thinking too.

Imagine that....an album that would actually be BETTER than J-Tree or A-Baby. I'm pretty optimistic for this album...but I just can't believe that they were able to top those two classic records.

I'll also believe it when I hear it ... I have a strange feeling this time 'round. I have a feeling that the album will be better than ATYCLB and HTDAB but definitely not as good as AB or JT. But let's see ....... only two months to go :)

I doubt it, but I don't see why not.

Well, if you think about it...their best chance to do so is at this point in their career when they've made their mistakes and have come as close as they can to mastering their songwriting abilities. So it could happen.

I agree. But of course one could argue that people said the same thing about A-Baby in regards to J-Tree so it could be possible

It's called the Unforgettable Fire :wink:

Ha! Owned! You've got me there :up:

I'll also believe it when I hear it ... I have a strange feeling this time 'round. I have a feeling that the album will be better than ATYCLB and HTDAB but definitely not as good as AB or JT. But let's see ....... only two months to go :)

Me too....and I'm really really fond of ATYCLB.

I have a strange feeling about this album too. I can't shake the feeling that they may have done "it". By "it", I don't mean make a better album than JT or AB, whatever that even means. I'm not even entirely sure what I mean. I guess I mean the feeling you get when you're 45 seconds into an album and your skin starts tingling and you're smiling. And halfway through the album you're holding your head in disbelief and joy. And at the end you can't wait to start it over.

I already have a lot of faith in Magnificent and Unknown Caller. To say I have faith in Magnificent is actually a gross understatement. Moment of Surrender (which by everyone's description is an instant classic) has huge promise. Breathe is also being heavily touted, and Every Breaking Wave and Winter sound like they could be gorgeous and powerful tracks. I could mention the rest of the tracks here (well, maybe not Crazy Tonight), but I think my point is clear.

This could be the real deal. And reading the Q interviews has me even more excited. Everyone has a feeling like they may have done something big, but they don't even really know. And neither to we. It definitely feels different from the boasting and optimism they cranked out last time around. The anticipation is getting to me.

I have a strange feeling about this album too. I can't shake the feeling that they may have done "it". By "it", I don't mean make a better album than JT or AB, whatever that even means. I'm not even entirely sure what I mean. I guess I mean the feeling you get when you're 45 seconds into an album and your skin starts tingling and you're smiling. And halfway through the album you're holding your head in disbelief and joy. And at the end you can't wait to start it over.

I already have a lot of faith in Magnificent and Unknown Caller. To say I have faith in Magnificent is actually a gross understatement. Moment of Surrender (which by everyone's description is an instant classic) has huge promise. Breathe is also being heavily touted, and Every Breaking Wave and Winter sound like they could be gorgeous and powerful tracks. I could mention the rest of the tracks here (well, maybe not Crazy Tonight), but I think my point is clear.

This could be the real deal. And reading the Q interviews has me even more excited. Everyone has a feeling like they may have done something big, but they don't even really know. And neither to we. It definitely feels different from the boasting and optimism they cranked out last time around. The anticipation is getting to me.
I definitely understand what you're saying. Maybe the band has finally "clicked" and they now know what they really want to do. I don't know, I've kinda got the same feeling.

I definitely understand what you're saying. Maybe the band has finally "clicked" and they now know what they really want to do. I don't know, I've kinda got the same feeling.

It's almost like they are so sure they did "it" this time, that they don't feel like they need to go through the same BS PR tactics. But along with the quiet confidence they are still a bit unsure, because you never know how the public will respond to something at a given point in time.

In the interview Bono says that NLOTH will indeed have two parts, but it won't be "Sky" and "Sea" like we have speculated, it will be "Darkness" and "Daylight". I like the concept that the songs on the album take place in 24 hours.

And :lol: about the swallows coming in and shitting on Larry's drums in Fez.

I kind of got attatched to "Sea" and "Sky" as a double album. I suppose if they pull it off, day/night could be pretty incredible. It's probably just the pre-album euphoria, but I am getting fucking excited about what we're going to hear come 2.3.09.

And I :lol:ed at birds shitting on Larry too!

It's almost like they are so sure they did "it" this time, that they don't feel like they need to go through the same BS PR tactics. But along with the quiet confidence they are still a bit unsure, because you never know how the public will respond to something at a given point in time.

Maybe their "uncertainty" might come from the fact that they realize its pretty fucking great and they just don't know what to do with themselves. :D

Seriously, maybe its one of those things where they realize they over or under worked stuff before and want to make it just perfect. Kind of like that last domino at the end of the long line or playing card on the top of a tower of cards...if you second guess yourself and try to be too perfect you can knock it all down.

BTW, I know that feeling you were talking about when you're half way through an album. Only a few albums have ever done it to me and the majority of them were albums U2 made. I hope that this one does too. I personally don't care if its BETTER than J-Tree or A-Baby...as long as its good in and of itself I'll be happy. No need to reinvent the wheel...just make it spin baby! :up:

I agree with the comment that the band seems to have a quiet confidence this time around. I hope we don't see another iPod commercial or too many pre-release marketing events before NLOTH. From what I remember, the let AB just speak for itself (very few interviews preceding the album). I hope the album is good enough that the band take this route again

Maybe their "uncertainty" might come from the fact that they realize its pretty fucking great and they just don't know what to do with themselves. :D

Seriously, maybe its one of those things where they realize they over or under worked stuff before and want to make it just perfect. Kind of like that last domino at the end of the long line or playing card on the top of a tower of cards...if you second guess yourself and try to be too perfect you can knock it all down.

BTW, I know that feeling you were talking about when you're half way through an album. Only a few albums have ever done it to me and the majority of them were albums U2 made. I hope that this one does too. I personally don't care if its BETTER than J-Tree or A-Baby...as long as its good in and of itself I'll be happy. No need to reinvent the wheel...just make it spin baby! :up:

Yes exactly! (I'm referring to your second paragraph). It's like a combination of giddy excitement over something great you've done--for example if you've just had a work accepted for publication by a major company--and now you wonder how you can maybe tweak it to make sure it's as perfect as possible and will be received to wide acclaim/blow people away. I think it's their perfectionism that is making them feel a little unsure and frustrated and chaotic at the end. But they wouldn't have that itch if they didn't already know it was brilliant (which it seems everyone realized at least 6-7 months ago). With the last album it was more like they talked themselves into believing things and they showed no weakness or doubt. It was more of an act.

Yes exactly! (I'm referring to your second paragraph). It's like a combination of giddy excitement over something great you've done--for example if you've just had a work accepted for publication by a major company--and now you wonder how you can maybe tweak it to make sure it's as perfect as possible and will be received to wide acclaim/blow people away. I think it's their perfectionism that is making them feel a little unsure and frustrated and chaotic at the end. But they wouldn't have that itch if they didn't already know it was brilliant (which it seems everyone realized at least 6-7 months ago). With the last album it was more like they talked themselves into believing things and they showed no weakness or doubt. It was more of an act.

Yeah, this time I definitely feel that it is much more of a true and real confidence as opposed to the somewhat contrived and overdone sentiments during the past couple of albums....well at least I thought it seemed contrived.

I also love how it seems like just about all of the songs have some kind of glowing review to them. On past albums when we got a song description there was more focus on what the song generally sounded like and what it was about. THIS time you get that AND some kind of phrase talking about how great it is and how awesome Edge's guitar, or Bono's vocals are. This could be a classic indeed.

The reason I don't see it being better than AB is because there were too many things going on at that time. Possible break-up of the band, The Edge's divorce, the band trying to wrestle with the level of fame and media saturation they had reached, the approach of the 21st century (this includes technological aspects as well as political ones like the Berlin Wall coming down)...they just aren't in a center of turmoil like that right now.

Sound-wise, this seems to be a blending of previous styles, as opposed to a bold left turn, even in the way they themselves are describing it. Hell, the whole Night to Day thing was already done on Achtung Baby! So it's not going to sound very revolutionary regardless.

Is it possible it could be better than The Joshua Tree? Sure, if the purists (and critics) allow it to be perceived as such. Because that album built on a sound already explored on UF, they just married it to more interesting subject matter and gave the music a more rustic (or American) flavor. It wasn't out of left field to people familiar with the band. JT was more unique for the time it came out--no one was doing anything like it. And I feel it would be hard for a new U2 album to stand out as much and seem as fresh. But who knows?

If reviews are saying stuff like "their best album since AB", I can live with that, because it's more than we (and the band) have any right to expect at this stage of their career.

The reason I don't see it being better than AB is because there were too many things going on at that time. Possible break-up of the band, The Edge's divorce, the band trying to wrestle with the level of fame and media saturation they had reached, the approach of the 21st century (this includes technological aspects as well as political ones like the Berlin Wall coming down)...they just aren't in a center of turmoil like that right now.

Sound-wise, this seems to be a blending of previous styles, as opposed to a bold left turn, even in the way they themselves are describing it. Hell, the whole Night to Day thing was already done on Achtung Baby! So it's not going to sound very revolutionary regardless.

Is it possible it could be better than The Joshua Tree? Sure, if the purists (and critics) allow it to be perceived as such. Because that album built on a sound already explored on UF, they just married it to more interesting subject matter and gave the music a more rustic (or American) flavor. It wasn't out of left field to people familiar with the band. JT was more unique for the time it came out--no one was doing anything like it. And I feel it would be hard for a new U2 album to stand out as much and seem as fresh. But who knows?

If reviews are saying stuff like "their best album since AB", I can live with that, because it's more than we (and the band) have any right to expect at this stage of their career.

Ah, but then it can be better than AB, it just won't be greater.
Cause I agree with you...and what you're saying is why AB is their greatest. But NLOTH may be better.
That's why I have no problem in say that Sgt. Peppers is the greatest album of all times, but it's far, very far from being the best.

Well I have to say that from what we have heard about the sound of the album it actually seems to have that "left turn" feel to it. You hear the band and the producers all saying that it sounds like nothing U2 have done before as well as a mish mosh of previous sounds.

Only time will tell.

Ah, but then it can be better than AB, it just won't be greater.
Cause I agree with you...and what you're saying is why AB is their greatest. But NLOTH may be better.
That's whay I have no problem in say that Sgt. Peppers is the greatest album of all times, but it's far, very far from being the best.

I see your line of thinking. Especially as something like Sgt. Pepper's is far greater than the sum of its parts. I don't think that's the case with AB though, which is stronger from a song standpoint. I'm not convinced they will release 12 songs that are all as unique and inventive as what's on AB. Almost every piece on there is exciting in its own way, from a lyrical and sonic perspective. That's personal opinion, of course.

Regardless, we won't really know for years...

AB wasn't hailed as being better or even on par with JT until years later, so only time will tell.

To me, so far the album sounds like it has great potential. I love the idea of Bono writing in third person, Tripoli sounds very interesting(if it makes it on the album). I don't think this will be the departure sound-wise that some may want or expect, I suspect it will be a little more UF and AB combined, but it does sound like it may be a departure writing wise, i.e. long songs, third person, different percussion methods, etc...

I see your line of thinking. Especially as something like Sgt. Pepper's is far greater than the sum of its parts. I don't think that's the case with AB though, which is stronger from a song standpoint. I'm not convinced they will release 12 songs that are all as unique and inventive as what's on AB. Almost every piece on there is exciting in its own way, from a lyrical and sonic perspective. That's personal opinion, of course.

Right. "Best" is a matter of opinion. "Greatest" involves a lot other stuff.
But I do have hopes, high hopes that this will be better than AB. And like BonoVoxSupastar said, to something enter those greatest lists takes time and a whole other things. So, it's impossible to know right now.

Regardless, we won't really know for years...

AB wasn't hailed as being better or even on par with JT until years later, so only time will tell.

To me, so far the album sounds like it has great potential. I love the idea of Bono writing in third person, Tripoli sounds very interesting(if it makes it on the album). I don't think this will be the departure sound-wise that some may want or expect, I suspect it will be a little more UF and AB combined, but it does sound like it may be a departure writing wise, i.e. long songs, third person, different percussion methods, etc...

I agree. I think it will exciting and powerful, but will not break new sonic ground or take up the mantle of a masterpeice in the same vein as JT or AB. Judging by the Q interveiw and the general vibe surrounding it, it will be U2 at their best - passionate, relevant and right on the pulse of today's music scene. It has a huge amount of potential, and if they pull it off how they envision it, it will rock the fuck out of the last decade and prove that they're still pretty much the biggest and best band in the world.

But like you say, we won't know for years if it can stand the test of time.

Back
Top Bottom