Q magazine 100 best singers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
tabela said:
What does everyone think are the songs that best show off his vocal abilities?

WOWY
RTSS, I agree with a review of JT I read: Bono really learned to sing on JT.
Heartland
One
Kite

Elvis was a great singer, but I'd have ranked just about everybody in the top 9 above him, especially Aretha Franklin and Sinatra. Jeff Buckley had a beautiful voice, but not in the top 10, IMO. Kurt Cobain, Liam Gallagher, and Thom Yorke are ranked far too high. I probably would've ranked Bono a bit higher. While his vocal range isn't what it used to be, his voice has a much wider emotional range than many of the others ranked above him, if that makes any sense.

akann said:

Are you one of those politically correct people that never criticizes anything Beatles related in fear of not being cool? Lennon was a great songwriter but as a singer there were plenty better than him, including Bono.

Sorry, Lennon was a great Rock and Roll singer and voice.

Peterrrrr said:
Well I think a list like this says it all abotu Bono :)

NYD(Live versions)
Pride
Bad
Unforgettable Fire
Wire
In A Lifetime
SBS(1986-06-15 - East Rutherford)
WOWY
ISHFWILF
RHMT
GPII
Spanish Eyes
Unchained Melody
One
Night And Day
Wild Irish Rose
Lemon
TSOHOSOS
Acrobat
The Cross
Kite
Vertigo
SYCMIOYO
Electrical Storm
Native Son
Miss Sarajevo
Don't Give Up(with Alica Keys)
Kids(with Kylie)
BD(Vertigo versions)
MW(live, come on love, falsettos)
WGRYWH(don't you look back)
Amazing Grace(live snippets)
Mercy
DWTTIME
ICHFIL

how about you save some time and just copy and paste the entire U2 discography, I think you're missing about 6 songs anyway.

I know I couldn't care less about Top 100 anything polls, but it's still interesting to see what other people think - especially if it borders on mental retardation.

While I personally agree that Bono sometimes seems to be going through the motions with songs from the 80s, it's not true for all of them. Streets, Bad, and the Vertigo Tour version of Pride come to mind as prime examples of Bono singing the 80s tunes with as much strength and passion as he did in the 80s. What happened to WOWY does annoy me a little though. It used to be a solemn, emotional song for Bono. Now it's turned into a sing-a-long.

Johnny Cash at 14 and Bob Dylan at 17 both less than Liam? erm wtf is going on Q

You have to question wat the formula or criteria for this list was?? As i sed earlier, bar 4-5 "singers" on this list, there is a strong case for all above Bono. Great Singing should not be confused with great frontmen/solo artists. They are completley different things. You can have a great frontman, yet not much of a singer, especially live, (Mick Jagger being my imediate thought).

Last edited:
LemonMacPhisto said:
especially if it borders on mental retardation.

Keep it civil please. You're welcome to comment and give opinions but personal insults aren't called for. Thanks.

sulawesigirl4 said:

Keep it civil please. You're welcome to comment and give opinions but personal insults aren't called for. Thanks.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean people on the board, I meant the people who formulate the genius lists.

LemonMacPhisto said:
I'm sorry, I didn't mean people on the board, I meant the people who formulate the genius lists.

Thanks for clarifying. From the way you worded it, it sounded like it was directed towards another member. as for the people who developed the list.... :sexywink:

carry on.

sulawesigirl4 said:

Thanks for clarifying. From the way you worded it, it sounded like it was directed towards another member. as for the people who developed the list.... :sexywink:

carry on.

No problem, you're right, it does. I'll make sure I'm more clear in the future. :up:

Axver said:

IALW is one of the worst vocal tracks recorded by anyone. Ever. In the history of music.

Funny, In A Little While is one of my favorite vocal tracks recorded by anyone. Ever. :wink: Different strokes, I suppose.

I thought the songs selected were a bit off. Here's what I would list:

1. In a Lifetime. It's short, it's not really a U2 song, but I don't care. My jaw dropped to the floor the first time I heard Bono's vocal on this. My jaw still drops to the floor every time I hear it. The moment when he goes from full voice to falsetto is amazing.

2. With or Without You

3. Tomorrow (Bono was still a pretty crappy singer technically at this point, but I'm picking it because of the raw emotion of the vocals.)

4. Night and Day

5. Pride (In the Name of Love)

6. Bad

7. All I Want Is You

8. Heartland

9. Lemon

10. Miss Sarajevo (live from Milan)

BonoVoxSupastar said:

but neither Lennon nor McCartney were amazing singers.

And Moz was? :eyebrow: He had a lot of melody in his voice, but jeez...he wasn't a virtuoso or anything.

LemonMelon said:

And Moz was? :eyebrow: He had a lot of melody in his voice, but jeez...he wasn't a virtuoso or anything.

But compared to the two of them he ranks higher, that was my point.

I don't belong to the U2 or Beatles untouchable club...

For a music magazine to say Morrissey is a better singer than Lennon AND Macartney is complete and utter PISH! However, I respect the right of an individual to have their own views.

Back
Top Bottom