PUTTING ONE'S LIFE INTO ONE U2 SONG

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spanisheyes

Forum Moderator, The Goal Is Soul
Miami, New Orleans, London, Belfast, and Berlin
"That song 'Mofo' is hardcore. If I could put my whole life into one song, it'd be something close to that." --Bono, from the PopMart Tourbook

Mofo is the epitomy of a man revealing, concealing, stealing, dealing, bringing the listener to his or her knees lyrically and musically with the soul strength to support the life of one as brutally honest and forthright as Bono is in that song.

So, I was thinking about this quote, and though I know it is impossible to put my life into just one U2 song, for me it would have to be 'Bad'...for no other reason then what I am, and what I hope to be, or should be don't always look the same...yeah, my whole life possibly into one song, 'Bad' would be something close to that.

Anyone else care to divulge one U2 song that you feel could encompass your life as close to possible as possible can be, and the reason why?

Chris

------------------
"That's what's happening to U2 on tour in the United States at the moment - we're just a conduit for all this joy and hope and despair and it's all coming out - People say, 'Oh, Rock and Roll is great - just takes people's minds off of it' - No. That is not our job. Our job is to take people's minds through it." --Bono's take on the Elevation Tour since 9/11

[This message has been edited by spanisheyes (edited 12-11-2001).]

Bullet or Fly. Or maybe Mothers of the Disappeard.

CK

[This message has been edited by TheU2 (edited 12-11-2001).]

"One" and "Kite" (umm..except for the "I'm a man" part).
biggrin.gif

------------------
"I don't know you,
But you don't know the half of it..."

That's a really hard one. 2 songs fit me completely - and these are the 2 songs that literally saved my life.

BAD and ONE. No question. No choice.

------------------
No alarms and no surprises, please.

"Summer Rain"

When you stop taking chances
You'll stay where you sit
You won't live any longer
But it'll feel like it...
"

Just to point a few reasons...

------------------
"It's no secret that our world is in darkness tonight..."

Gone
Running To Stand Still
Acrobat
Wanderer
God Part II

I know that's more than one....all of these have a part of me I guess......

------------------
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life son. - Animal House.

Face it Flounder, you didn't throw up in front of Dean Wormer, you threw up on Dean Wormer. - Animal House

Don't worry folks, he's just a big dumb animal. - Tommy Boy

Well jeez, it changes, but I find myself relating to Acrobat and Zooropa a lot. Well, not the ad slogans, but... yeah. You get me right? Gone too.

------------------
"That's the first time we've played that song in... about 15 years." -Bono, after In God's Country - Phoenix 11/23

One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. "Oh no," I said, "Disneyland burned down." He cried and cried, but I think deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real disney land , but it was getting pretty late.

Official L.O.B.P.B.G.G.T.S.H.S.A.E.E of the E.B.O.C

Chris, it is an interesting question that you pose. I find it rather amusing that I was pondering this very same idea yesterday. And although I can narrow it down to a few songs, it is hard to just choose one that encompasses my life to date.

In a funny way, it was this idea of a song capturing my inner emotions that started me on the path to U2 fandom. I remember climbing into my car one afternoon after work, turning on the radio and hearing the throbbing tones of With Or Without You. I sat there with my mouth open and wondered how it could be that this song sounded like it had climbed right out of my head and my heart and into reality. And now...10 albums, 30+ bootlegs, 4 shows, and countless hours of listening later...it is still this quality that keeps me coming back for more.

I can relate to the yearning in Bad...the lines about letting it go certainly speak to me in some of the things I've gone through in my life recently. Along those lines, Walk On seemed like it was written expressly for me.

Zooropa has actually been a song that eloquently expresses the confusion and the spiritual haze that I've been working through. "And I have no compass, and I have no map, and I have no reasons, no reason to get back, and I have no religion, and I don't know what's what, and I don't know the limit, the limit of what we've got."

At this particular moment though, as I'm on this journey of discovering what it means to be 'me' and what it is I want out of my life, I think the song that best expresses the cry of my heart is Streets.

I want to run
I want to hide
I want to tear down the walls
That hold me inside
I want to reach out
And touch the flame
Where the streets have no name

Right now anyways...that is me.
smile.gif

-sula

------------------
~I want to play the guitar very badly, and I do play the guitar very badly - Bono~

Take a virtual tour of U2's Dublin... Crzy4Bono's U2 page with some of Sula's Dublin pic's

Sula's Europe Pics

so cruel
...i hate that girl and i love her i cant make up my mind

------------------
" I can sing just like Bono, i can do that whole lemon falsetto exactly like him" -- me

"...u know how you can make people jealous by saying good stuff about you thats not even true?" - also me

I feel a tie with Zooropa.

------------------
Sitting on a cornflake
Waiting for the van to come

[This message has been edited by ~LadyLemon~ (edited 12-11-2001).]

Currently, it would have to be "Stuck"

------------------
~ME THREE

Don't get sentimental
It always ends up drivel

"If you twist and turn away
If you tear yourself in two again
If I could, yes I would
If I could, I would
Let it go
Surrender
Dislocate"

Twisting out of the hands of Love. Tearing the heart of One who needs the oneness of us to be complete. The need to giving up is when this need is in losing love, because in this Love one finds oneself.

Bad always puts my back up against the wall...my face up against the mirror of life...and my heart back on the track of reality.

Chris

------------------
"That's what's happening to U2 on tour in the United States at the moment - we're just a conduit for all this joy and hope and despair and it's all coming out - People say, 'Oh, Rock and Roll is great - just takes people's minds off of it' - No. That is not our job. Our job is to take people's minds through it." --Bono's take on the Elevation Tour since 9/11

[This message has been edited by spanisheyes (edited 12-11-2001).]

Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses...

you're dangerous 'cause you're honest
you're dangerous, you don't know what you want...

you stole it cause i needed the cash
you killed it cause i wanted revenge
you lied to me 'cause i asked you to
baby, can we still be friends?

That's me right now. Feeling like I did a lot of things for people and now they expect...something more.

I also feel a deep connection with Kite.

------------------
If you cannot live together in here, you cannot live together out there, let me tell ya. --Bono

You've got to cry without weeping, talk without speaking, scream without raising your voice... --Bono

Zooropa and Last nigth on Earth
She's not waiting on a saviour to come
She's at the bus stop with the news of the world
and the sun
sun
here it comes
she's not waiting on anyone.....

------------------
Please repeat the message, it's the music that we choose.
http://www.sit.wisc.edu/~kljense3/MrTvs.html

Every time I get serious with a girl I ask her what she thinks of the song "One". I then let her know how much that song means to me, and that it is the greatest song ever written or recorded. Believe it or not, it is a pivotal moment in the relationship. So, One is the song. My whole life is wrapped in that song. I have listened to it so many times, but I still find new magic and new meaning in it every time.

Stuck in a moment, definatley. Great question Chris, and even though I answered it quickly it really takes some though (and even more listening).

Either that or WTSHNN. "I want to tear down the walls that hold me inside". "I'll show you a place, high on a desert plain, where the streets have no name"...

Very interesting!

------------------
"Work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt, live like there is no tomorrow, dance like no one is watching." --Bono

"The only limits are the limits of our imagination. Dream up the kind of world you want to live in. Dream out loud. At high VOLUME".

My whole life into one U2 song? I can?t pick only one Chris, not right now...

First it?s Summer Rain, these verses say it all:

When you stop seeing beauty
You start growing old
The lines on your face
are a map to your soul

When you stop taking chances
You'll stay where you sit
You won't live any longer
But it'll feel like it

But there is also Always, that?s me in this part below

Be the arrow
And the target
Put your head over the parapet
Be uncool
Yes, be awkward
And don't look in the obvious place
The soul needs beauty for a soul mate

Due to a particular situation, I have to say Stuck in a Moment, that?s me again:

You've got to get yourself together
You've got stuck in a moment
And now you can't get out of it

Don't say that later will be better
Now you're stuck in a moment
And you can't get out of it

And I will always relate 100% with So Cruel. And Bad.

------------------
"To me a rock and roll concert is 3-D, it?s a physical thing - it?s rhythm for the body. It?s a mental thing in that it should be intellectually challenging. But it?s also a spiritual thing, because it?s a community, it?s people agreeing on something, even if it?s only for an hour and a half." (Bono, as quoted in the book U2 The Road to Pop)

Right now it's Stuck In A Moment.

Also, LNOE, Summer Rain, and Beautiful Day have very deep meanings for me.

------------------
"I sometimes get the odd twinge that I wouldn't mind playing lead guitar, just like a couple of notes, but that's about as near as I would want to get to the front." -Larry

A Sort Of Homecoming

Based on this knowledge that is always with me that this world is not my home. It is only my place of residence, and that someday, I will be going home; "across teh fields of morning to a light that's in the distance".

Originally posted by 80sU2isBest:
A Sort Of Homecoming

Based on this knowledge that is always with me that this world is not my home. It is only my place of residence, and that someday, I will be going home; "across teh fields of morning to a light that's in the distance".

I feel the same way about "Walk On". I like the fact that the song refers both to heaven and to Aung San Suu Kyi's native Burma.

For me: just about every song applies to me but these three really define me right now

WGRYWH
One
Staring At the Sun

------------------
One love, one life...
Give peace a chance!
Don't let the bastards grind you down!

Bono: I don't walk, I swagger! I sashayed once, but just once. It wasn't for me.

Back
Top Bottom