Purchase or Download Free

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jon Seidman

The Fly
How many people out there bought these new remasters, at really high prices, and realize they wish they should have just downloaded them from a bit torrent site? Be honest.

Can't that be asked of all music?:huh:

And secondly, what does the cost have to do with it? These remasters don't cost any more than other music.

If you buy the deluxe sets, you get better sound quality, 96 pages of liner notes, and the satisfaction of knowing that you're not a freeloader.

Dude.. enough with the :huh:

Why are these smilies even here if they can't be used?

:rolleyes:, :huh:, :cute:, :coocoo:, :barf:, :der:, :sick:, :slant:, :confused:, and :lock: are almost always used in an insulting way. Is it OK to be insulting in moderation, or is it only against the rules if it's used one or two times too many?

How many people out there bought these new remasters, at really high prices, and realize they wish they should have just downloaded them from a bit torrent site? Be honest.
is this some kind sociological research thingie?
cause I'd be interested in the results if it is

on the other hand if this is just another let's rile up people who actually pay for music attempt ....
meh

Why are these smilies even here if they can't be used?

:rolleyes:, :huh:, :cute:, :coocoo:, :barf:, :der:, :sick:, :slant:, :confused:, and :lock: are almost always used in an insulting way. Is it OK to be insulting in moderation, or is it only against the rules if it's used one or two times too many?

If you feel the need to question my reprimanding of another poster, please feel free to do so via pm and not on the forums.

no attempt to rile. not social research. i was just thinking that there was really only one single song on all these sets that was totally new to me, which was 'saturday night' - and even that was not TOTALLY new - just a demo of 'fire'. i have everything else in one form or another. most older fans would probably say the same. as for the sound quality, a very famous music producer once told me that audiophiles tend to be people who are not very musical and that musicians and those who are really into the 'music' don't care about the 'quality of the sound'. i agreed with him.

Saturday Night wasn't the only new song.

And I couldn't disagree more with your famous producer friend. Quality of sound can make a night and day difference with some music.

Buy.

and your friend is completely wrong. Musicians that NOT care about the quality of the sound??? that's the MOST ridiculous thing I've ever heard!
As a musician myself I can tell you that quality means a LOT! would you buy a new band's record or single if it was crap quality?
listening to music can be a whole different experience if it's some fantastic quality vs old groggy quality, it can be the difference between breaktrough and another failure!

oh, but I haven't done either yet.. nor am I planning to.

what was the other new song? angels on the ground or whatever...? should not have been released at all in my opinion. old/new! 'scat' vocals? come on. i guess they were desperate for material, as evidenced by the billion remixes. the october disc had some good stuff, but nothing i haven't heard before. what i would love to hear are the demos of the songs that actually ended up on the albums. edge's 4 track demos and stuff. but i guess they didn't work that way then.

i downloaded but am getting all 3 for my B-Day in October. feel free to call me names.

the point about musicians not being audiophiles was that they have the ability to fill in the missing stuff that one doesn't hear on poor quality recordings. old time u2 fans like me have tons of stuff on crappy old 15th generation cassettes or bootleg vinyls and we thought it was awesome when we heard it. it never occurred to me that 'hiss' and 'pops' were impairing my enjoyment of the songs, especially back when i got a hold of something i hadn't heard before, like the 70's demos or something. cd's and mp3s are way more convenient, but i don't like the songs any better. i am sure others feel the same way. then again maybe most of you out there are 19 and have no idea what i am talking about because you never owned a cassette or LP.

Buy.

and your friend is completely wrong. Musicians that NOT care about the quality of the sound??? that's the MOST ridiculous thing I've ever heard!

Actually, I think it does hold true. Many musicians care less about sound quality (and more about the performance). Witness the many atrociously mastered CDs released nowadays. To name just one reason.

Well I went through several phases of U2 fandom. I once collected all the cd singles, rarities, etc, then the mp3 craze started and i wanted a new computer, so i sold em all, bought a computer and a U2 ipod, and got the complete u2 boxset.

minimizing the cds taking up space in my house was nice, and then after a while i started to realize that lossless was the way to go, and that mp3s definitely have a lower sound quality (i think it was mysterious ways that convinced me), plus i like the idea of having just a few really nice u2 items, so i bought the joshua tree super deluxe package, and preordered the amazon exclusive of the first three records. and i have to say i am really excited about them. the packaging looks really cool, and if the sound quality on the joshua tree remaster is any indication, these records are going to sound great.

I guess i never realized that i thought they needed to be remastered. but all that static hissing on Exit is gone now and the song just sounds so much more vibrant, so i am sure the same will be true for songs like Tomorrow and Drowning Man.

I probably spent too much money on albums i have purchased too many times to count now, but i think its more than worth it. And i will buy any and all remasters U2 puts out.

no attempt to rile. not social research. i was just thinking that there was really only one single song on all these sets that was totally new to me, which was 'saturday night' - and even that was not TOTALLY new - just a demo of 'fire'. i have everything else in one form or another. most older fans would probably say the same.

Based on the loaded wording of your original question and your further explanation above it was a bit like riling up. You knew the tracklists before you bought them, so you knew there wouldn't be many unheard songs for you. Still, you made the conscious decision to buy them.
The same holds for me. I know/have almost all the songs on those sets (either on vinyl or on bootlegs). Still, I look forward to them, having them finally on an official CD.
:)

i did not buy them. not after i bought the jt set for 'drunk chicken' and then kicked myself in the butt for doing it.

i did not buy them. not after i bought the jt set for 'drunk chicken' and then kicked myself in the butt for doing it.

Well that's good to know. I have JT remastered on my watch list on ebay for $19 + $6.00 shipping. I just don't know if I want to spend that much for songs I already have, unless the remastered quality of the songs is like wayyyy superior than the regular CD.

I completely find the remasters worth it. Some are better than others, but I was really impressed with the quality of the JT remaster, and I imagine the improvements on these to be much more worth it.

Hmm... that's odd. :hmm: I'm a musician, and yet I care about sound quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom