Punk rock on Venus vs. punk rock on Mars - Anyone know the difference?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
iacrobat said:
Well, Pop was a "man's record"

Maybe this will be the "woman's"

thats what kind of scares me, i was hoping for another pop like record, with some enthusiam and yes testosterone. during the abc special bono mentioned they thought about naming the cd "Pop, for Men", and he put the emphasis on "for Men", it was really quite hilarious.

i think atyclb had more of the "feminine" quality to it, whatever that means. i dont really want a atyclb part 2, i dont want a pop part 2 either, but i was hoping for something that will grab you by the balls and make you scream for more, like pop did.

Last edited:
Chizip said:
no rebuttals?
Hee hee heeeeee!! Okay, don't know if I want to delve into rebuttle territory just yet, but....

First - Pop was much more a meaty record than ATYCLB, and yes, Bono did joke about calling it "Pop for Men", but I took that to mean it was more a serious type of pop music - ie, not for little boys or girls... so the opposite of teeny pop. Since they're a group of men, I took the word "men" simply to mean, "from a man's point of view." To some extent, I agree it could mean, also, "tough" pop music, and to this extent, I agree there is more testostorone in it. That said, there is plenty of femininity throughout the album (even in the most hardcore of songs, 'Mofo', we see Bono completely vulnerable, pleading to his mother like a little child). Of course, dressing up up as the Village People and doing a completely ridiculous dance wasn't the most macho thing to do - and though one could argue this was not the ablum but the video - the spirit of the song is the same. As for the most obviousy feminine hypbrid type songs, look no further than 'If God Will Send His Angels', and 'If You Wear That Velvet Dress', the latter song exposoing a tender sensuality, something most don't equate with masculinism (a point of view I disagree with, but that's the perception in much of society). We could analyze every song, and find both masculine and feminine qualities, but that would take an essay.

As for ATYCLB, I wouldn't call that a feminine record. It takes a lot of "balls" to write songs like 'Peace on Earth'. To me, ecstatic music (which much of ATYCLB is) isn't masculine or feminine. It's something everyone can relate to. Most of the themes in ATYCLB are very generic (not a criticism, by the way, just an observation), and are univeral. ATYCLB is one of Bono's and the band's most vulnerable and heartfelt works to date... and though American society seems to view "heartfelt" as a feminine trait, I believe it's a part of every human being, something we can all relate to. We've all had to deal with personal loss on some level or another, and music can be a great antidote.

there really is no point. when bono says something he leaves it so ambiguous you can interpret it 50 different ways, thats probably why he is such a good lyric writer.

if you can't see that on a whole the pop era, the record/tour/look, was much more testosterone filled, grab you buy the balls and kick ya in the ass compared to the atyclb era, then there is really no hope for you.

Chizip said:

if you can't see that on a whole the pop era, the record/tour/look, was much more testosterone filled, grab you buy the balls and kick ya in the ass compared to the atyclb era, then there is really no hope for you.
When did I say it wasn't? That wasn't your initial statement. You said ATYCLB has more of a "feminine" quality to it. I didn't know, and still don't know, if you meant soley in relation to Pop or unto itself. I assumed you also meant unto itself, but it now appears you meant soley in relation to Pop.

it was more in comparison to pop

but percentage wise id say pop is 80/20 ratio of masculinity to femininity

while atyclb is 60/40 ratio femininity to masculinity

so even on its on atyclb has a bit more feminine characterstics

and to get to the original point

i was just saying i was hoping to bring back that masculine part of pop that made it so great for the new album, not atyclb part 2

Back
Top Bottom