Psychedelic Guitar Solo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Indiana Jones

The Fly
End of the Yellow Brick Road, Melbourne Oz
I'm listening to track four from the recording made on the beach outside Bono's house in France, and I am LOVING the Edge's psychedelic Blues guitar solo. I absolutely LOVE it.

I was expecting the Classic Coke Edge Riff at the bridge, but instead I was gobsmacked to hear Edge channeling the spirit of [mellow blues] Hendrix. Took me completely by surprise. Bono's channeling the Beatles too. AWESOME. This song is a grower.

My only iffy is Edge's guitar solo at the very end is a bit too Gone (live), a wee predictable. I would've liked Edge to expand on the psychedelic guitar riff and just let it rip. Great song though, extremely catchy. I was singing the chorus to myself at work today! I'm sure the boys are finishing the tune as I type.

:drool:

EDIT: I just downloaded this track onto my mp3 player. I LOVE this song!

But I missed out on tickets for U2's Melbourne shows this November (heh, shameless begging for help!) so it's not all happy endings. I have a nagging suspicion U2 will play one or two new tracks on the tour up here in the southern hemisphere (c'mon, ya'all know we're on top).

Last edited:
in 2000 u2 applied for the biggest band in the world title, in 2007 i want edge to apply for the great guitarist in the world title.

:| cheese me up

your right, great solo, and right about the ending...a little too predictable, but still cool. would love to hear the edge go off and do his thing more on this record.

that middle solo is :drool:

Yes it would be dam nice if the Edge riffed and then let rip. You never know. Have you heard the song 402 from the same beach
clips what do you think of Larry's drumming on that song. I know it's only a demo at the moment but i think the drumming for that
song could turn into something very special:mad: :drool:

912005111031pmjimi20hendrixci0.jpg

shaun vox said:
George Harrison was not that good at guitar!!
its like saying kurt cobain is a great guitar player!!
no no NO!!

hendrix is a legend!!

wow i actually agree with that statement shaun.

shaun vox said:
no no NO!!

hendrix is a legend!!

Hendrix was good but no one is better than john buckland of coldplay.....

300px-JonBuckland.jpg

Page i think is better than hendrix:rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

shaun vox said:
no no NO!!

hendrix is a legend!!

Harrison wasn't technically very skilled, no.

I only quoted his name because I think that that Edge solo in the beach clip has a Harrison vibe to it.

I sort of wish Edge would channel Tom Verlaine's guitar playing... not the meandering minute long stuff... Edge has done enough Hendrix tricks/ ideas over the years going back to Joshua Tree. With that said the little guitar solo bit he played in the middle wasn't Hendrix to me but definitely steeped in blues... reminded me of his little improvised bit with Dave Matthews... I'm in agreement that the ending guitar bit is played out and already reminiscent of past Edge bits (MOFO as well or something from JT). Other bands have also used similar tone and technique such as Radiohead which makes it more played out IMO.

I much as I like Zep and Page, Hendrix was far more innovative than Page.

The Edge is innovative like Hendrix, however he sets himself in the background too often to be considered as good as Hendrix.

I'm hoping for some 'real' solos on this next album.

I dont think Hendrix was that great a player either (i'm gonna get burned for that one) i find him boring and he's songs don't really contain alot to make me want to listen. and before you all start i play guitar and drums and keyboard but there isn't anything really to his music that makes me love it. I respect him for what he did but there were other people playing the blues at the time he just got noticed for it

Hey Dignity he got noticed because he was different. Richards, Clapton and Beck were all playing the blues, but Hendrix was playing it louder and faster. I think that Page is a great riffer, he could write riffs that burned into your subconscious, but Hendrix made the guitar squeak, scream, schreech and then play so soft and sweet that it'd make you cry.

He's not everyone's cup of tea, agreed, but he's damn good.

But think about what they had before Hendrix came along, Dignitypassesby. Imagine what it felt like to hear that type of playing for the first time.

KentK said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't he holding his guitar upside down? Did he really play that way?!

he did...

jimi_hendrix.jpg

jimi was left handed, so he played a right-handed guitar upside down and restrung

The Strat's easy action and narrow neck were also ideally suited to Hendrix's evolving style and enhanced his tremendous dexterity—Hendrix's hands were large enough to fret across all six strings with his thumb, and he could reputedly play lead and rhythm parts simultaneously. Another remarkable fact about Hendrix is that he was left-handed, yet used right-handed Stratocasters, playing them upside-down. Hendrix restrung his guitars so that the heavier strings were in their standard position at the top of the neck. He preferred this layout because the tremolo arm and volume/tone controls were more easily accessible above the strings, but it also had an important effect on the sound of his guitar: because of the design of the pickups, his lowest string had a bright sound while his highest string had a mellow sound—the opposite of the Strat's intended design.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom