Props to Bono for remaining neutral in the Iraq war.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Like any U2 song, Bono's antics on stage in BTBS seem to be open to interpretation. Sure, the vast majority of fans will either interpret them in one particular way, or just gloss over it as Bono being weird. Bono might think that he's being obvious enough, but unless people spell things out word-for-word, there will always be other people who see something other than what was intended.
Bono knows that not 100% of the audience will agree with him... so he's being smart about not mouthing off so blatantly. :D

And excellent points about Bono biting his tongue for the sake of his campaign with politicians about Africa. :)

Irvine511 said:

nah. the arms above the head, the blindfolding, the fact that BTBS has always been about US foreign policy -- totally, 100% Abu Ghraib and the astute observation that the US, through the Bush administration's conduct of the war on terror in the creation of gulags and the surveillance of its citizenry and torture of detainees, has started to resemble it's old enemy: the Soviet Union.

but, hey, maybe i read too much into things.

Maybe but I dunno. I think if Bono felt that strongly against Bush that he wouldn't be seeing him as publically as he does.

The US resembles the USSR? lol.

IMO "The Saints Are Coming" was a Green Day video...and I lost complete respect for them there

Re: Re: Re: Props to Bono for remaining neutral in the Iraq war.

LemonMacPhisto said:

I don't think he looks anything up before he presents an "observation", but that's just me.

The band just doesn't retardedly campaign against the war like some teenybopper band every show they play, it's all subtle.

Interesting isn't it, just how much he's accomplished talking to these idiots who have inacted major change's all over the world yet he doesn't look anything up, in essence, doesn't know what he's talking about. (were you being sarcastic, I hope so)

Snowlock said:

Maybe but I dunno. I think if Bono felt that strongly against Bush that he wouldn't be seeing him as publically as he does.

The US resembles the USSR? lol.

he is not against bush, but he is against the war. there is a difference.

and bono has stated explicitly in interviews that the L&P blindfold act references abu ghraib.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Props to Bono for remaining neutral in the Iraq war.

sue4u2 said:

Interesting isn't it, just how much he's accomplished talking to these idiots who have inacted major change's all over the world yet he doesn't look anything up, in essence, doesn't know what he's talking about. (were you being sarcastic, I hope so)

The first bit was referring to the original poster, and the second bit was referring to the band.

I should've made that more clear I guess:wink:

Indifference of good people is what causes genocide and other horrible acts of human evil, and Bono's actions have not expressed indifference in the slightest.
With the "war trilogy" he takes a stand against US foreign policy, and the same can be said of U2 with regards to "The Saints Are Coming" video.

Amazing this thread isn't in FYM!!!

Bono wants to love the sinner (Bush) but not the sin (the war).

Bono is way too centrist, way too much of a corporate schmuck with his Elevation Partners game, for the entrenched antiwar crowd. (see Gone: The Campaign to Make Bono History).

But the songs, the peace signs, the "don't become a monster to defeat a monster" paraphrase of Nietzche, and so much more suggests an anti-warrior at heart.

Anu said:

Bono is way too centrist, way too much of a corporate schmuck with his Elevation Partners game, for the entrenched antiwar crowd. (see Gone: The Campaign to Make Bono History).

But the songs, the peace signs, the "don't become a monster to defeat a monster" paraphrase of Nietzche, and so much more suggests an anti-warrior at heart.

Like Martha said.. read the interviews.
Obviously, you don't know what Bono is always thinking any more than I do.
But I do know he is making a difference, and I frankly don't care how much he makes as a corporate schmuck, these games don't mean shite in the grand scheme of things. and if they do, then so be it.. he's going to need every penny he can make to maintain his campaign aganist extreme poverty.

Anu said:

He should love (Bush) as his fellow man, but he hasn't given up his convictions..
You have seen the "Saints" video right?
That video is a direct indictment of the Bush administration's lack of awareness of anything other than what matters to them(this admistration) the most.

Bono doesn't support all of Bush's policies on the war, or anything else.
just because Bono needs funding for extreme poverty doesn't mean he has given up his integrity.

europop2005 said:
IMO "The Saints Are Coming" was a Green Day video...and I lost complete respect for them there

Why do you think of it as a GreenDay video (because it's quite good? lol) and who did you lose respect for, U2 or GreenDay?

for Green Day...I thought the sarcasm and taunting we're what i'd expect from Green Day...i'm no fan of republicans or democrats...but I think that was just pushing it a little too far.

Martha, in the interests of keeping you from under bed rummaging, here's a quote from the Bono on Bono book where he was talking about George Bush:-

"Yes. As a man, I believed him when he said he was moved to also do something about the Aids pandemic. I believed him. Listen, I couldn’t come from a more different place, politically, socially, geographically. I had to make a leap of faith to sit there. He didn’t have to have me there at all. But you don’t have to be harmonious on everything — just one thing — to get along with someone."

I also remember something, I think in a Q magazine interview not that long ago where there was a question about Sinead O-connor's remark that she's surprised Bono can still talk as his mouth is so full of American politicians cock (that stuck in my mind for some reason :wink: ) and he said something on the lines of politically he's got completely different opinions but the important thing is that they can agree on Africa.

It also strikes me that in photos of Bono with Bush, Bush has normally got a big grin on his face but Bono looks serious and is making the peace sign which seems telling.

Back
Top Bottom