Proof Bono is holding back his vocals...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
True, but that was 1992 - 14 years ago. lol I still believe has some of that raspy stuff in him though....

theu2fly said:
Listen to New Year's Day in 1992... Bono begins to sing, and listen to when he sings "A world in WHITE..."

It's that familiar Kermit voice that we all know... I think he put a limit on his vocals...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=BGP-MehMa2I&mode=related&search=
He's not holding anything anazing back, he just switched to the 'JT voice' that he decided to abandon in favour of being a good singer.

theu2fly said:
Listen to New Year's Day in 1992... Bono begins to sing, and listen to when he sings "A world in WHITE..."

It's that familiar Kermit voice that we all know... I think he put a limit on his vocals...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=BGP-MehMa2I&mode=related&search=

you had to pick the worst performance of NYD ever, lol.

I can understand him holding back his voice, since he'll have to use it about 130+ more times on tour.

I think that, that was him purposely messing up the tone of his voice...They were so off tempo that whole night:yes: ...Bono lost his tone after the Elevation Tour...Now all he sings with is a raspy voice..He can't a hold of the same tone for 10 seconds like he did in "All I Want Is You---Streets" in Slane Castle or "Bad---Streets" Boston..

He did fine on Miss Sarajevo on this tour, to mention one example. I prefer properly sung notes over screaming.

I liked how the "Kermit" voice turned into a cool growl on Zoo TV on the high notes, I miss the beautiful, clean tone he had in the 80s in particular between UF-Lovetown. Before the raspyness came in after '90.

Last edited:
how kick ass would it be if the kermit voice came back for the new record? I wouldnt see it as backtracking, its just a different sound he can make with his instrument. a good sound.

JCOSTER said:
Does anyone think he can't sing as high as he did with Lemon?

and that version of New Years day was the worst I ever heard.

He could sing that high, but it would be very raspy as he sings with during the Vertigo Tour

Something about that whole Washington gig is just... off... I like Bad, it's really good...

But it feels like that the audience is just flat...

tpsglick2424 said:
I think that, that was him purposely messing up the tone of his voice...They were so off tempo that whole night:yes: ...Bono lost his tone after the Elevation Tour...Now all he sings with is a raspy voice..He can't a hold of the same tone for 10 seconds like he did in "All I Want Is You---Streets" in Slane Castle or "Bad---Streets" Boston..

Slane was one of Bono's worst vocal performances! It's little wonder that you think Bono's tone is off now if you think he's great at Slane!

Bono was so hoarse at Slane that it's amazing he got through the night. His vocals sounded very airy and strained. The enthusiasm was there, but not the voice. He sounded much better in the Boston DVD. And oceans better on all the Vertigo shows I heard and saw (7 in person, many more on downloads).

As for the original topic, Bono used this "kermit" voice, as many of you call it, frequently on the JT and Love Town tours. However, I found he used it rather well, that is, at certain moments in certain songs. And it was a way for him to hit an upper register note without screaming or going into a falsetto. He still dips into that voice now and then, and this ZOO TV show is but one example.

Lets not forget the loss he suffered a just a few days before slane, its a small miracle he was able to pull off the concerts right after his dads funeral and didn't have to cancel any.

doctorwho said:

Slane was one of Bono's worst vocal performances! It's little wonder that you think Bono's tone is off now if you think he's great at Slane!

Bono was so hoarse at Slane that it's amazing he got through the night. His vocals sounded very airy and strained. The enthusiasm was there, but not the voice. He sounded much better in the Boston DVD. And oceans better on all the Vertigo shows I heard and saw (7 in person, many more on downloads).

As for the original topic, Bono used this "kermit" voice, as many of you call it, frequently on the JT and Love Town tours. However, I found he used it rather well, that is, at certain moments in certain songs. And it was a way for him to hit an upper register note without screaming or going into a falsetto. He still dips into that voice now and then, and this ZOO TV show is but one example.
:|

I always thought his vocal on New Year's Day from Slane was the best he's ever managed. I've never heard him sing the "we can be one" line as powerfully as he did for Slane. It may be rough, but he hits it full on, without ducking into falsetto or anything else.

theoriginal said:
I always thought his vocal on New Year's Day from Slane was the best he's ever managed. I've never heard him sing the "we can be one" line as powerfully as he did for Slane. It may be rough, but he hits it full on, without ducking into falsetto or anything else.

that's exactly what I was thinking. Right after I said, "you can't be serious, doctorwho" :huh:

I am serious. Maybe you all need to listen to it again. Even the critics state this. Bono's voice is really worn and shot in that performance. Yeah, he can hit some high notes, but his voicy is airy and thin - no richness at all to it.

Now, I'm not complaining. At this point in the tour, U2 had been going strong for a while. And it could just be an off night for him. Plus, the energy of the show itself is fantastic. But his voice is not this powerhouse it was on the Vertigo Tour. The fact that some of you disagree has me :scratch: .

JCOSTER said:
Lets not forget the loss he suffered a just a few days before slane, its a small miracle he was able to pull off the concerts right after his dads funeral and didn't have to cancel any.

And THIS is exactly why is voice is probably so poor that day!

The concert is an emotional powerhouse and theatrically, Bono is truly his best. I would say it's one of his most animated performances ever! But vocally, while he can reach the notes, they are airy and raspy. That richness he had earlier on the tour and on other tours is just not there.

I should stress that I'm one of Bono's biggest proponents of his voice. When others said his voice was "shot" long ago, I vehemently disagreed. In fact, I think he's a far better singer now. But, I also have to call it as I hear/see it, and this Slane performance was not his vocal best. Not his worst either - but it is the worst of the officially released material.

doctorwho said:

And THIS is exactly why is voice is probably so poor that day!

The concert is an emotional powerhouse and theatrically, Bono is truly his best. I would say it's one of his most animated performances ever! But vocally, while he can reach the notes, they are airy and raspy. That richness he had earlier on the tour and on other tours is just not there.

I should stress that I'm one of Bono's biggest proponents of his voice. When others said his voice was "shot" long ago, I vehemently disagreed. In fact, I think he's a far better singer now. But, I also have to call it as I hear/see it, and this Slane performance was not his vocal best. Not his worst either - but it is the worst of the officially released material.

I'm with you on this one...Boston was better...but then one comes on here and sees posts trashing his vocals on the Boston DVD and going on about how the vocals on the Slane DVD were *so* much better?!?

(personally I think some like it better because it was an unexpected release, simular to how some automatically prefer unreleased songs to the offically released versions--but thats just my humble opinion, what do I know:wink: )

Well I think this New Years Day(Washington 1992) is a good one, I love his voice on the show, specialy on SBS, one of the best SBS ever.

If you want to hear a great live version of NYD, listen to this one:
http://www.you send it.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=DA0B20B0414154B4

listen when he sings the line: "Say it's true, it's true... And we can break through Though torn in two We can be one" on this performence, it in 2,14 sec in the song.

when was it? Elevation? I don't think it is the best version at all..... listen to some UF or JT versions of the song and you will hear the difference.....

Yahweh_OMG said:
when was it? Elevation? I don't think it is the best version at all..... listen to some UF or JT versions of the song and you will hear the difference.....

Well I think he push his voice very good on the line, this proof that he had some force on Popmatr, its from Popmart. He couldnt have done this on Elevation tour, not even Vertigo tour. Sure, his voice on Vertigo is very strong, he hasnt sing like this since early 90's, but still he dosnt come close to his Popmart voice in falsette and some other notes. One voice era wich is very underrate is his voice from 1995, listen to One(Milan), TSOHOSOS and The Cross(with Prince). Realy good voice.

nathan1977 said:
What info is out there on this performance? Talk about thrown off/low energy.

If you mean the WC 1992 show, it sint as much as low energy as it seems, remember it is a soundboard version, wich means that you never realy hear a crowd in a soundboard recording, also there no effect adding on soundboard.

Re: Re: Proof Bono is holding back his vocals...

Canadiens1160 said:
He's not holding anything anazing back, he just switched to the 'JT voice' that he decided to abandon in favour of being a good singer.

Ha ha! I'm not the only one who can't stand that voice! It irks me every time I watch Rattle and Hum. :no:

Bono's got the same voice he's always had. He just chooses not to use it the same way every time he sings each song. Not only am I going to say he can sing Lemon these days, I'm willing to bet that he can do it better. Same goes for anything else disputed in the catalog. He changes his voice to fit the musical theme of the album, that's it and that's all.

t8thgr8 said:
Bono's got the same voice he's always had. He just chooses not to use it the same way every time he sings each song. Not only am I going to say he can sing Lemon these days, I'm willing to bet that he can do it better. Same goes for anything else disputed in the catalog. He changes his voice to fit the musical theme of the album, that's it and that's all.

So you really think Bono could sing the 'oh-oh-oh-oh etc' vocal climax of WOWY today as well as or better than he did in 1987 on the record? Really?

namkcuR said:

So you really think Bono could sing the 'oh-oh-oh-oh etc' vocal climax of WOWY today as well as or better than he did in 1987 on the record? Really?

I don't think so. I hear shades of JT era voice when I watch Slane and listen to bootlegs of the last tour, but that's just when he screams every now and then, but screaming isn't really singing.

I miss the way he used his voice as an instrument. I don't think he'll ever be able to sing the way he sang on say his duet with Clannad.

That was insane.

david said:

he screams every now and then, but screaming isn't really singing.

I miss the way he used his voice as an instrument.

I agree, he screams/shouts a lot now. Listen to Mercy as one example.

Back
Top Bottom