Proof Bono is holding back his vocals...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
t8thgr8 said:
Bono's got the same voice he's always had. He just chooses not to use it the same way every time he sings each song. Not only am I going to say he can sing Lemon these days, I'm willing to bet that he can do it better. Same goes for anything else disputed in the catalog. He changes his voice to fit the musical theme of the album, that's it and that's all.

Don't mean to be rude, but your totaly wrong. Bono has lost his wide range in his voice, the sound his use in for example "with or with out youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu" is gone. The deep falsette he had in Lemon is gone.

But in some way his voice is better now, he sings with more passion and feeling, he is better the push his voice to levels that he shouldnt be able to do. In the 80's and 90's he woulndt be able to sing "feel"(Vertigo), "Sing"(SYCMIOYO), "Free"(Native Son)........ with his sound he got now. I think his "eeee" sound he has in his voice, for example the "feeeeel" part in(OOTS) is beautiful.

Last edited:
I dont know, I just think he changes his style so he doesnt get stale.

And could he ever hit those notes on the Jt tour in W or w/o you? I would just imagine his voice has only gotten stronger over the years although a bit rough because of the smoking. But if he stopped smoking for a week so his throat wasnt irritated, went into the studio and sang youd hear Bono of old if he wanted you to hear it.

t8thgr8 said:
I dont know, I just think he changes his style so he doesnt get stale.

And could he ever hit those notes on the Jt tour in W or w/o you? I would just imagine his voice has only gotten stronger over the years although a bit rough because of the smoking. But if he stopped smoking for a week so his throat wasnt irritated, went into the studio and sang youd hear Bono of old if he wanted you to hear it.

Smoking insnt just the problem, ageing, his thoat surgey and after screaming to much in the 80's makes damge on your voice. Just compare WOWY from JT tour to Vetigo tour version. Just for an example, take Bad(2005-12-04) where he hit high C in the Wide Awake part and compare to Bad 84-86 when he hit high C in the same part, in the 84-86 version he hit that note with much more force, his voice is more powerful and strong back then.

Bono does not have the same voice today that he had in the mid to late 80s, and nor does he have the same voice he had in the early 90s. It's not even the same as the one he had in the mid 90s! It makes for some interesting variation. I would say that Bono sounds a little different on every album even.

I do feel that when people say they only like U2's "old stuff", it's because Bono used to use his voice more like an instrument, and that contributed heavily to the U2 sound. That sound therefore is no longer there... so now we have to like U2 without that full sound we were once accustomed to. It's just a different sound now. A soul singer instead of a full on enveloping vocal.

I really believe that vocals have a huge impact on the songwriting process, and U2 now has to write differently to accomodate Bono's voice. Bono used to push outside the boundaries, vocally, and this kind of springboarded Edge and Larry to hit different and higher levels (first half of JT, much of UF, parts of Achtung Baby all come to mind). Now Bono is more level, dare I say, middle of the road...and this influences the music. Not to say he doesn't take flight here and there, but now it's a rehearsed take off, an intentional cut in for a "U2 moment" (eg, "Let's see colours no one else has seen..." in ES), but doesn't really sound as organic as something like 'Bad' or 'With or Without You' or 'Pride', where the vocals and the song sound as though they're lifting off together as one, where they're pushing each other on and creating their own momentum.

That said, I feel U2 can still create magic in many other ways...and I don't feel that those vocals are a necessary ingredient for a classic album, for example. There are many different kinds of music to be made, and U2 can still test them out if they choose.

Peterrrrr said:

Smoking insnt just the problem, ageing, his thoat surgey and after screaming to much in the 80's makes damge on your voice. Just compare WOWY from JT tour to Vetigo tour version. Just for an example, take Bad(2005-12-04) where he hit high C in the Wide Awake part and compare to Bad 84-86 when he hit high C in the same part, in the 84-86 version he hit that note with much more force, his voice is more powerful and strong back then.

I think smoking cost him the natural "Bono" tone of his voice he had in the 80's.
The constant over-screaming of the first decade is what cost him of his range. (though I would also love to know what happened between Zoo TV and Popmart that caused such a dramatic drop in his vocals)

Not to say he hasn't, through surgery or proper vocal training or medical therapy, noticeably improved in the last few years (ES and onwards).

Last edited:
^that was well put. edit: referring to Griffiths

I've always felt he peaked vocally on UF, simply because his voice was used as an instrument moreso than any other record. Everything followed him. He had insanely huge reservoirs of lung, just oceans of power, and boy did he use them.

Some say he learned how to sing later, meh...nothing comes close to UF.

I'm an old fart Bono-wise.

Stateless. It's as good as anything he has ever done vocally. Top 10 Delivery for me. Bono can still use his voice well if he wants to.

Earnie Shavers said:
Stateless. It's as good as anything he has ever done vocally. Top 10 Delivery for me. Bono can still use his voice well if he wants to.
Exactly my point. :up: And I agree with you about 'Stateless'. Best thing since 'Miss Sarajevo'....other than 'Kite'...but definitely most evocative since 'Heartland'.

As a musician i can tell you that his effective range is essentially identical now to what it was in the past. Maybe not quite so on the elevation tour but is definitely the case now. Even on songs that are in a lower key like SBS, I have no doubt that he could sing SBS in the original key if he wanted to, but it would probably be an unnecessary strain on his voice.

Regarding whether his voice changed or not, I'm sure it's changed somewhat over the years, no question. Even when he talks his voice is different in different eras. I do however agree to a large extent with t8thgr8 that a lot of what we perceive as his voice changing is really him adopting certain vocal stylings. If he wanted to he can certainly imitate old bono and sound a lot like him, after all, he is him. I feel like that still happens, like at the end of the SNL performance of Sometimes where he says the "no regrets no tears goodbye", sounds almost identical to JT bono if you close your eyes. There are other examples too. There is no doubt that he can imitate many different types of voices really well. We all know mcphisto etc. All in all, I think it's actually really hard to tell how much of the "change" is do to outside factors and how much of it really is bono trying out new vocal landscapes. BTW, you wrote some cool things above michael griffiths, very spot on.

doctorwho said:
Bono was so hoarse at Slane that it's amazing he got through the night. His vocals sounded very airy and strained. The enthusiasm was there, but not the voice. He sounded much better in the Boston DVD.

I disagree with that. I think the Slane version absolutely kills the Boston take. It just might be the best overall performance of NYD, when you factor in the crowd's enthusiasm and the band's heartfelt effort.

In terms of Bono's best vocal contribution, I think this is a snapshot of him at his absolute peak: http://youtube.com/watch?v=tK-daI4K-YE

theu2fly said:
It's that familiar Kermit voice that we all know... I think he put a limit on his vocals...

U2girl said:

I liked how the "Kermit" voice turned into a cool growl on Zoo TV on the high notes

t8thgr8 said:
how kick ass would it be if the kermit voice came back for the new record?

With all of this Kermit talk, I can't resist sharing an example of his greatness. :wink: This was my favourite song as a kid...it's vintage Kermit, before the drugs, the drinking, and all of the supertadpoles hanging around his pad:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=thEiXbovv98&mode=related&search=

U2girl said:

Not to say he hasn't, through surgery or proper vocal training or medical therapy, noticeably improved in the last few years (ES and onwards).

His voice has improved a lot since Elevation tour, here's some examples

Feel" part in Vertigo
"Sing" part in SYCMIOYO
"Free" part in Native Son
"You love me" and "Fear, nothing" part in Mercy
"Amour" part In Miss Sarajevo
"Wide Awake" part in Bad(3rd leg) Sometimes he hit a high C
"Come On Now Love, Don't You Look Back" in "WGHYWH"(Dublin)
Discotheque(3rd leg) The whole song is incredible
Angel Of Harlem(3rd leg) was incredible singing in.
"Dignity passes byyyyyyyyyyyyyyy" in Crumbs(3rd leg)
Beautiful Day vocals is so much stronger
Bono is now singing WTSHNN is its orignal key.
Electric Co
I Will Follow(Brooklyn Bridge)
ISHFWILF(Rock N Roll Hall Of Fame)
Vertigo(Rock N Roll Hall Of Fame)

JCOSTER said:
He definately wasn't holding back his vocals in this version of Vertigo which as we know usually appears in the begining of the set.

This was awsome: IMO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LDFRVSZdF4&search=u2

I think this Vertigo version was a bit of weak, he dosnt hit the feel part right like he did in the version before the tour, just listen to the Rock N Hall Of Fame version.

Has anyone got the Vertigo Rock n Roll HoF edition?

Also, what is this Bono duet with Clannad?

As for my comments, give me Beautiful Day (Vertigo Tour) + Elevation 'Goal is Soul' ending and we are there. At the moment, I am doing a 3rd edition of my own "ultimate u2 concert", and picking specific versions of songs is really hard. Give me ZooTV Bono anyday...

I think Bad/The First Time (September 21 2006) is a great performance though. Also, a lot of the Milan 21/07 concert is pretty good.

YA know there is nothing wrong with head voice or falsetto

proper singing actually calls for these to be used...singing shouldnt be painful or straining...

Back
Top Bottom