Project Zero One / Songs of Ascent / New Album Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
All of a sudden? This is a new album discussion thread. Drunkenness and stupidity are how we roll.

Good thing I'm not fat, too...

Flounder-Animal-House.jpg

lazarus said:
Apparently you missed the part of my post where I said the band was complicit in all of these business moves. All I'm saying is, the band aren't the ones sitting around coming up with this shit.

I don't know what else to tell you, but I certainly don't want to talk about this shit anymore.

And all I'm saying is yes, the band is very much involved in "coming up with this shit."

And do you have anything to back that up?

The band is there to make music. That's why they exist. Boner has his extracurricular political activities and investments, but when it comes to the Shuttlecock brand, I think he tries to keep it as pure as possible.

McGuinne$$? His job is to make money, and to find new and exciting ways of doing so. I'm sure he's really good at selling those ideas, too.

Now we can go back and forth all day about how naive the band is or isn't, and I'll say once again that ultimately they're responsible for approving whatever has the band's name on it, but at the end of the day you think they're sitting there counting the stacks of gold and trying to figure out how to get more?

That's not what drives them--they're not Mick Jagger. In fact, the band are likely the ones who sat there and said "Hey, is there a way to make the General Admission tickets the cheapest so the people who have the most energy and passion don't have to sell a kidney to see the show?"

lazarus said:
And do you have anything to back that up?

The band is there to make music. That's why they exist. Boner has his extracurricular political activities and investments, but when it comes to the Shuttlecock brand, I think he tries to keep it as pure as possible.

McGuinne$$? His job is to make money, and to find new and exciting ways of doing so. I'm sure he's really good at selling those ideas, too.

Now we can go back and forth all day about how naive the band is or isn't, and I'll say once again that ultimately they're responsible for approving whatever has the band's name on it, but at the end of the day you think they're sitting there counting the stacks of gold and trying to figure out how to get more?

That's not what drives them--they're not Mick Jagger. In fact, the band are likely the ones who sat there and said "Hey, is there a way to make the General Admission tickets the cheapest so the people who have the most energy and passion don't have to sell a kidney to see the show?"

Lol

And do you have anything to back up your thoughts? No, of course not.

What do I have to back up tmy thought that the band is 100% in agreement with pauly mcg?

He's still their manager.

Why do I think they are implicitly involved in all they do, and not just blindly allowing pauly mcg to make all financial decisions?

Because no band can possibly last as long as they have without having a working knowledge of what's going on. Because any band so obsessed with being relevant in the mainstream cares about money. Because this band is not dumb. Because most human beings on earth would want to be as financially successful as they possibly can. Because anytime this band has had even a sniff of commercial failure they've abandoned the road they were on and come back with a new direction.

So do I think u2 are directly involved in all money making decisions? Yea, they'd be the biggest dopes on earth not to be.

If you want to continue to live in a fantasy world where u2 are too righteous to care about making money? Enjoy.

Lol

And do you have anything to back up your thoughts? No, of course not.

What do I have to back up tmy thought that the band is 100% in agreement with pauly mcg?

He's still their manager.

Why do I think they are implicitly involved in all they do, and not just blindly allowing pauly mcg to make all financial decisions?

Because no band can possibly last as long as they have without having a working knowledge of what's going on. Because any band so obsessed with being relevant in the mainstream cares about money. Because this band is not dumb. Because most human beings on earth would want to be as financially successful as they possibly can. Because anytime this band has had even a sniff of commercial failure they've abandoned the road they were on and come back with a new direction.

So do I think u2 are directly involved in all money making decisions? Yea, they'd be the biggest dopes on earth not to be.

If you want to continue to live in a fantasy world where u2 are too righteous to care about making money? Enjoy.

This.

Of course they have always cared about making money.

And not only have they kept him on as you point out, they have long sung the praises of McGuiness, going so far as to say he is the reason why no one in the band has "slave" scrawled across their heads.

Many, many artists were taken advantage of by record companies and others , not U2.

Of course, as Lazarus says, they do care more than say, The Police or Madonna, about making sure real fans can get a good spot for an affordable price. That is indisputable. Compared to other acts in their league, even with their $250 high tier, U2 is a bargain to see live.

However, Laz, you can't make the leap from that to "they don't care about money and are marginally involved and leave it mostly to others."

Making money and doing what you can to look out for fans are not mutually exclusive. In fact, this system of around 40-50% of tickets@$55 or less on 360 may very well be a good part of the reason why they have been able to set attendance records in places like Portugal and Greece, not to mention the rest of the still struggling from the great recession world.

In my 2nd job, I've witnessed first hand many artists in in-depth financial conversations. Even those you may not expect, like Eddie Vedder of Pearl Jam.

There is no wall between the artists and the businessmen of an organization, especially one as large as U2.

Also, in case it isn't clear from my post, count me among those who have nothing but praise and high regard for Paul McGuiness. He's a damn good manager who has U2 in probably the best arrangements of any artist right now with LiveNation. He's always looked after their best interests, and U2 giving him an equal cut even though it is not the standard in industry to do so shows 2 things:

1.)They know damn well he's a large part of their success, musically and financially.
2.)That's how they operate- they value their employees and others who contribute to their success and compensate them appropriately. I know many people who work for U2- some in accounts but most in security- and all are paid very well and taken care of and appreciated by the band.

I like how a big supporter of $ir Mick Jagger & Co. accuses any other band of being greedy.

If they didn't want to, say, put out U218 for fear it would look like a money grab? They wouldn't put it out.
Yes, because U2 can avoid contract obligations when leaving their record label.

I know this has nothing to do with the thread topic, but is just a comment on the other conversation going on here. I believe McGuinness has said about U2 (though I don't know exactly where the quote comes from) “They know as much about the business as most record executives and most concert promoters and most recording engineers and even most T-shirt distributors”. I also remember a Bono quote where he spoke about deciding very early on to be knowledgeable about and involved in the business side of being a band. But now I can't find the quote.
Anyway, carry on. :wave:
I'm in the optimistic boat for a new record soon.

i think Bruce got it right:

See, bands get formed by accident, but they don't survive by accident. It takes will, intent, a sense of shared purpose, and a tolerance for your friends' fallibilities...and they of yours. And that only evens the odds. U2 has not only evened the odds but they've beaten them by continuing to do their finest work and remaining at the top of their game and the charts for 25 years. I feel a great affinity for these guys as people as well as musicians.

Well...there I was sitting down on the couch in my pajamas with my eldest son. He was watching TV. I was doing one of my favorite things -- I was tallying up all the money I passed up in endorsements over the years (laughter) and thinking of all the fun I could have had with it. Suddenly I hear "Uno, dos, tres, catorce!" I look up. But instead of the silhouettes of the hippie wannabes bouncing around in the iPod commercial, I see my boys!

Oh, my God! They sold out!

Now...what I know about the iPod is this: It is a device that plays music. Of course their new song sounded great, my guys are doing great, but methinks I hear the footsteps of my old tape operator Jimmy Iovine somewhere. Wily. Smart. Now, personally, I live an insanely expensive lifestyle that my wife barely tolerates. I burn money, and that calls for huge amounts of cash flow. But I also have a ludicrous image of myself that keeps me from truly cashing in. (laughter) You can see my problem. Woe is me.

So the next morning, I call up Jon Landau -- or as I refer to him, "the American Paul McGuinness" -- and I say, "Did you see that iPod thing?" And he says, "Yes." And he says, "And I hear they didn't take any money." And I said, "They didn't take any money?!" And he says, "No." I said, "Smart, wily Irish guys." (laughter) Anybody...anybody...can do an ad and take the money. But to do the ad and not take the money...that's smart. That's wily. I say, "Jon, I want you to call up Bill Gates or whoever is behind this thing and float this: A red, white, and blue iPod signed by Bruce "the Boss" Springsteen. Now remember, no matter how much money he offers, don't take it!" (laughter)

i think there's a weird middle ground here. it's (likely) the band mitigating the business instincts of Mssrs McGuinness and Iovine is likely what makes them even more money (and relevance) in the long run. win-win, all around.

I don't know if this has been posted yet...but there is a studio version of Glastonbury on youtube.(JustaU2Fan....put it up two days ago as a live version) and it's obviously U2 and it's not live in my opinion.Check it out!

nah, you just need a wireless receiver that can record. And know at what frequency the different feeds are broadcasted at the shows. I'm not sure if they use the same at each show, but I'd assume they do.

nah, you just need a wireless receiver that can record. And know at what frequency the different feeds are broadcasted at the shows. I'm not sure if they use the same at each show, but I'd assume they do.

if it were that easy, we'd see more extremely high quality IEM's available.

Anyway, we're only a week away from a show in South Africa. Here's hoping some information comes out via interviews this week. Do wonder if they'd play a new song off the album - assuming they're releasing one - since they're tweaking it. two-show road testing? and then fish the internet for reactions. possible, I suppose.

if it were that easy, we'd see more extremely high quality IEM's available.

Anyway, we're only a week away from a show in South Africa. Here's hoping some information comes out via interviews this week. Do wonder if they'd play a new song off the album - assuming they're releasing one - since they're tweaking it. two-show road testing? and then fish the internet for reactions. possible, I suppose.

Well you'd have to smuggle the recording equipment into the stadiuma nd use it unseen at a place close enough to the stage to be able to catch the broadcast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom