Project Zero One / Songs of Ascent / New Album Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sadly, I already have something similar from when my kids were infants:

51N0QRHS9HL._SS500_.jpg

that helmet would do a poor job of protecting soldier bear's ears.

Other thing that doesn't quite add up: U2 + DM is HUGE news. Huge crossover potential. We have Adam quoted as saying it's a departure. If I were U2, I'd want to market the hell out of this, with a dedicated tour, not a 360 rehash (as mind-blowingly awesome as that was). This looks to be the complete opposite of that. If the album was a quiet SOA-type thing, then yes, absolutely, and that's where the Zooropa comparisons hold merit. But not for a project of this magnitude, with such a high-profile producer.

I think even if you personally think the u2-DM cross over is a big deal, u2 don't want it to seem (and might not even feel) that way. After the long absence of u2 before NLOTH, and all the hype it had, followed by it's (relative) flop, i wouldn't be surprised if u2 want this next album to be a quick follow up, hence releasing it mid tour, and not talking about it much. I think the failure of NLOTH humbled them, so they just want to let the music speak for itself - if it flops, they can say "Oh well, no big deal, it was really just a side project we did in between tour legs", and if it's a success, then great.

So i think, in a way, this is the 'songs of ascent'-type quiet album, in the sense of promotion. It's no more bragging about an album, hiring eno and lanois, broadcasting it all over the news, declaring it to be the next step in rock and roll, and delaying it several times... instead, it's been no nonsense, flying out to work with Danger Mouse in between tour shows, focusing on the music without telling anybody.

U2 working with Danger Mouse will be huge news when the album's out. They worked with him the entire summer without telling anyone, we only found out when Bono revealed it. They're obviously working, and working very secretively... it will be huge news when they want it to be. But when it's officially announced, it won't be like the promotion for NLOTH, i assure you :D

I'm still thinking that when he (allegedly) said the tour would end in Asia he meant Ireland really - might have been another glass of wine in his hand that time. :)

It just struck me that he might have said Eire rather than Asia? It would certainly make some sense and could have been mis-heard as Asia at a stretch.

i've been pessimistic lately, but i still think the best news we could have gotten was the Amazon Germany posting. even if the McG story is a hoax, i still think Amazon would have had to have been given some info from Universal.

i think the tour should be extended until after spring 2012, so that when i honeymoon in ireland, i can take in a u2 show at croke park.

Or just 10-20 shows, in various places around the world, every year from now on.

First year in North America, next year in Europe, next Australasia and so on.
That way, we can all see U2 every year, if we're willing to spend the money.

The big elephant in the room is that after very disappointing sales of NLOTH, and in a climate where records/CDs simply don't sell well anymore, I think you have to assume that U2 Inc. will do nothing short of a year-end holiday/Christmas release. Another off-cycle release, especially with the SOA songs sounding experimental and possibly not radio-friendly, is almost unfathomable. U2 doesn't need to release an album to sell tour tickets anymore. Factor in the zero hype to date, and lack of any credible sources or confirmation of a new album, and my money is on a year-end release, if anything. Hope I'm wrong.

No hype and no news because there is no need for it. The band have been self-promoting all over the globe solidly for the last two years. Future tickets are sold - I believe almost entirely sold out. The last album was 'only' two years ago. They haven't gone away, off the radar for an extended period, with only PLEBA keeping tabs. They've been everywhere and visible the whole time. They don't need to create awareness, re-engage, start building momentum. They only need to check in at the actual full-on promotion stage, which begins with the single. I think we'll go from zero to a hundred really quickly.

dear Earnie,
I hope you are right, but by your own calculations, the tickets are sold, the tour is booked, they may not do anything. This is worst case scenario. I hope the boys bring something out for us!!

when i met paul mcguinness on the floor of continental airlines arena during the vertigo tour (key words here... vertigo tour) he was clearly shitgfaced and offered us wristbands to "get into the heart."

so perhaps we shouldn't put too much stock into what paulie mcg says when he's been drinking.

We had a similair situation with McG during the Elevation Tour in Atlanta back in 2001. He was in the heart and we quizzed him on when they (band) would return to the sooner state. He never quite gave me a straight answer, and i was probably just as drunk as he was, but 8 years later he made good on it and they played Norman.

So based on this im predicting we'll get the new album / tour in 2019 (project zero one niner)

:cocktail::beer:

No hype and no news because there is no need for it. The band have been self-promoting all over the globe solidly for the last two years. Future tickets are sold - I believe almost entirely sold out. The last album was 'only' two years ago. They haven't gone away, off the radar for an extended period, with only PLEBA keeping tabs. They've been everywhere and visible the whole time. They don't need to create awareness, re-engage, start building momentum. They only need to check in at the actual full-on promotion stage, which begins with the single. I think we'll go from zero to a hundred really quickly.

yep.

The big elephant in the room is that after very disappointing sales of NLOTH, and in a climate where records/CDs simply don't sell well anymore, I think you have to assume that U2 Inc. will do nothing short of a year-end holiday/Christmas release. Another off-cycle release, especially with the SOA songs sounding experimental and possibly not radio-friendly, is almost unfathomable. U2 doesn't need to release an album to sell tour tickets anymore. Factor in the zero hype to date, and lack of any credible sources or confirmation of a new album, and my money is on a year-end release, if anything. Hope I'm wrong.

I agree, u2 don't need an album to sell tickets anymore, but releasing an album right before the US dates would spice up the tour, and the tour itself would help to promote the album - in a sense, there is an opportunity for both the album and the tour to promote each other. It might be a better scenario for selling an album than just releasing it near christmas... especially considering other big bands are gonna have albums out around that time too.

Also, it's pretty much guaranteed we're not getting Songs of Ascent as an album, we're not getting anything like NLOTH - Bono described the DM songs as 'airborne', and made to be 'hits'. So they have material now that they believe will sell well.

Bono said recently 'one more dud album and we're out', and McGuiness described the album as "sounding great, lots of hits', so i think that counts as hype, and come on, Paul McGuiness, Bono, Adam, even Ceelo Green, i think these are enough people to add credibility to the confirmation of an album :D

Releasing the album at the end of the year would make ZERO sense. I can't see U2 bringing out a big new album, promoting it, then... nothing. And if these songs are any good, people are going to want to see them played in concert, which would probably be 2-3 years after the album is released, and by then we'd probably only get 4 songs at most in the setlist because there would be ANOTHER new album by then.
Also, a lot of people seem to think that if NLOTH had been released in November it would have sold something like 10 million copies. That was never going to happen. I reckon sales wouldn't have been much different, just more front-stacked to the first month.
We've still got a while to go before panic stations are necessary. If, in 4 weeks time, we still have NOTHING at all, then I'll start to worry.

I think NLOTH sales would definitely have been better if it was released in Q4 2009. I'm not entirely certain that they ever thought that this was going to be a mega-seller, to be honest - so people here may be overstating the disappointment factor w.r.t. NLOTH. Like any unhealthily obsessed U2 fan, I was following the press trail pretty closely, and I didn't feel the hype machine was in as much force as it was for both All That and How to Dismantle.

I do think that they were expecting much more from both GOYB and Magnificent as singles, though - but U2 would be naive to think that songs like Unknown Caller, MOS, Fez-BB, White as Snow, and Cedars were going to get the masses to buy the record. The tour has done very well, and I think they believe in the songs much more than they did with Pop.

That said, it seems quite obvious to me that all signs with the DM project point to this being a potential smash hit of an album. Paul McG and Bono have both alluded to the radio-friendly nature of the project. Wouldn't you then expect this to have a ton of promotion behind it? In which case May would easily be out of the question. Don't forget that the album not only has to be finished, the artwork, mixing, mastering, and CD pressing/manufacturing/distribution all have to be complete in around 3 months time.

I'm going to stay pessimistic and keep my expectations low after being sold dummies with respect to release dates for the better part of last decade.

Why would you need to have more than three months to have a ton of promotion? Can't you just hype the crap out of the thing a week before it's due?

Why would you need to have more than three months to have a ton of promotion? Can't you just hype the crap out of the thing a week before it's due?

Yeah i think a ton of hype 3 months before release would just give people u2-overload, and ultimately make the release date less special because the band would have been in the news so much already.
They tried it with NLOTH, and it didn't work.
They're clearly taking a different approach this time. I think promotion closer to the release date would be better for sales...

A late-year release date would come into conflict with the Achtung Baby remaster, which will likely be released during that very period to make it a true 20th Anniversary edition (the original was released in November), and I think we all can agree that it is going to be a BIG fucking deal in terms of marketing, reviews, etc. And it will also be perfect for Christmas gifts. No way they're going to have a new album compete with that.

The band has a five week break between the South Africa shows and their first South America show in Chile; from Mid-Feb to late March. Whether or not that McGuinne$$ quote was real, if the band is interested in keeping any kind of artistic momentum with this project, they really should be finishing the album during that time. And if they're already in the mixing stage, 5 weeks is more than enough. I just hope they don't wind up having to go back yet AGAIN to work on Spider-Man, a project that at this point must be sucking the creative life out of them.

After the South America shows, the band has a month break between the final Brazil show and their Mexico City stand, from mid-April to mid-May. That leaves a nice gap for a new album release precisely when Paul McG supposedly suggested. So if the band is done with their work by late March, that still gives the record company two months to get their shit together, which is certainly short by modern standards, but is enough.

This way, the band gets to practice more new songs during their 3-night stint in Mexico (if they haven't been previewing them earlier) to make sure they're streamlined for the U.S. shows, which are likely to be more scrutinized.

I can't fathom a scenario where the band would put out the album right in the middle of an American/Canadian leg. No way. And the idea that they would sit on it until AFTER the tour in the fall, or as far away as early 2012, doesn't make any sense either.

If someone can crop out McG, replace that wine glass with a cartoon bag of money, and upload the pic here I'll be eternally grateful.

That shit-eating grin is just too amazing.

Come on South African dates, get us some actual quotes from the band members, 9 or 10 days left right??

holy s*** 10 pages the next day but actually no other new news lol
well i hope the hoax was a hoax cause uh :hyper:

Yeah I don't get what all this Paul McG hatred is about. It's fucking dumb. He's a manager. His job is to make the band money and get them on the charts and on the radio.

Back the topic:

Seems kinda funny
Yes funny sir indeed
At the end of every hard-earned delay
People find some reason to believe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom