Project Zero One / Songs of Ascent / New Album Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The spanish guy claimed that Paul wasn't at that meeting, that his name wasn't in the records. That meeting is where he made the quote about the album being nearly finished. This picture proves he was there, thus makes it very realistic that the quote was indeed his. Thus I'm totally jumping the gun here by saying we will have an album on may 27th! :wink:

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Got it. I was so confused as to why that one poster went from "pfft, back to square one" to "I'm so psyched!" in the span of about four posts. :lol:

The spanish guy claimed that Paul wasn't at that meeting, that his name wasn't in the records. That meeting is where he made the quote about the album being nearly finished. This picture proves he was there, thus makes it very realistic that the quote was indeed his. Thus I'm totally jumping the gun here by saying we will have an album on may 27th! :wink:

But remember, if Paul Mcguiness' statement was real (i think we agree it was), then that means the album will be coming even earlier than the 27th, before the US dates :D

I call BS on this. Never has a U2 album had so little press/hoopla a mere 3 months prior to release. Barring Zooropa, never has U2 wrapped up an entire album's worth of work as quickly as one would have to assume if the U2-DM collab is indeed "wrapped up". We all know that U2 sits and stews and tinkers with songs LONG after the producer has done their job. I would loved to be proved wrong, guys, but I'm willing to bet $100 that we will not see a H1 2011 release, and another $50 that we won't see a release in 2011. Any takers?

No, you damned pessimist. :grumpy:

So what if things aren't happening the way they have in the past? Do they have to do everything the same way every time?

They're working with new producers. They're playing multiple new songs on the road. They're already shaking shit up. Why can't this next album be something new for them, too?

I call BS on this. Never has a U2 album had so little press/hoopla a mere 3 months prior to release. Barring Zooropa, never has U2 wrapped up an entire album's worth of work as quickly as one would have to assume if the U2-DM collab is indeed "wrapped up". We all know that U2 sits and stews and tinkers with songs LONG after the producer has done their job. I would loved to be proved wrong, guys, but I'm willing to bet $100 that we will not see a H1 2011 release, and another $50 that we won't see a release in 2011. Any takers?

True, but what would be the point of Mcguiness reapeating a May release over and over again. Plus they have been working on material since 2009 thats plenty of time to tweak all they want. I hope so anyway. And lets not forget Rattle And Hum that was a very quick follow up.

Yeah, having information repeated by Paul is a big sign for me. If it's bullshit or not happening, why would he say it? Wouldn't he either a) say nothing; or b) say something a little more cautious, like "not sure when it might be done"?

Yeah, having information repeated by Paul is a big sign for me. If it's bullshit or not happening, why would he say it? Wouldn't he either a) say nothing; or b) say something a little more cautious, like "not sure when it might be done"?

Yeah, whenever Paul's been vague in the past, he's said stuff like "I don't know exactly when it will be out yet", or "Maybe some time next summer, if i'm optimistic". This time round, he's been citing a very particular date, as well as describing the album as finished.

tomtom said:

I call bs on most things, but if there was an album release most similar to this alleged release, it would be zooropa.

I would imagine a drunken quote from McG would be along the lines of "Aw, fuck off! Quit askin' me about the goddamn U2 album! It'll be out when it's out! FUCK!"

Maybe that half-finished glass of wine in his hand had something to do with it?

I'm still thinking that when he (allegedly) said the tour would end in Asia he meant Ireland really - might have been another glass of wine in his hand that time. :)

I don't think anyone ever claimed his quote was from a panel discussion.

No, but someone said "at the meeting" which I guess could also mean 'conference' in general, but I took to mean something more specific - with the person claiming that he wasn't there getting it off some guest list - like he was supposed to have said this at some formal panel thing or something, where a list of participants would be available. Just rockin' up for the free booze, blow and Russian hookers, obviously, doesn't get you on any list.

(Who are the other men on that photo?)

From left to right: The youngest of Larrys kids, then it looks like Jay Z has grown his hair out, no way Hosni Mubarak would miss this – and there he is, the fat one in glasses is of course Bono (needs to get those plugs done again – watch for him wearing that cap permanently from now till the tour!), then David Guetta on the end looking good to this fucking party started! as usual.

Fair point about Paul McG. I don't have a good response. Still doesn't change the terms of my bet though, since it's win-win for me. I'd gladly pay $100 to have a new album out this year instead of 2013.

Other thing that doesn't quite add up: U2 + DM is HUGE news. Huge crossover potential. We have Adam quoted as saying it's a departure. If I were U2, I'd want to market the hell out of this, with a dedicated tour, not a 360 rehash (as mind-blowingly awesome as that was). This looks to be the complete opposite of that. If the album was a quiet SOA-type thing, then yes, absolutely, and that's where the Zooropa comparisons hold merit. But not for a project of this magnitude, with such a high-profile producer.

Oh, and another thing: 3 months prior is usually when the first single is released. We don't even have a friggin' PRESS RELEASE about album name, release date, single name, anything. Occam's razor: no new album any time soon. Just my 2 cents.

I know some people were worried that all this Spiderman business was going to mean delays for a U2 album. But I wonder ... it seems like the only thing it's delaying is Bono blabbing all over the press about the 18 albums they have in the works! :wink:

Seriously, though - I chalk up his relative silence to being preoccupied with Spiderman stuff. I figure it's a good thing, as he's not around spouting hyperbole and bizarre statements about what the new album will sound like.

Fair point about Paul McG. I don't have a good response. Still doesn't change the terms of my bet though, since it's win-win for me. I'd gladly pay $100 to have a new album out this year instead of 2013.

Other thing that doesn't quite add up: U2 + DM is HUGE news. Huge crossover potential. We have Adam quoted as saying it's a departure. If I were U2, I'd want to market the hell out of this, with a dedicated tour, not a 360 rehash (as mind-blowingly awesome as that was). This looks to be the complete opposite of that. If the album was a quiet SOA-type thing, then yes, absolutely, and that's where the Zooropa comparisons hold merit. But not for a project of this magnitude, with such a high-profile producer.

Oh, and another thing: 3 months prior is usually when the first single is released. We don't even have a friggin' PRESS RELEASE about album name, release date, single name, anything. Occam's razor: no new album any time soon. Just my 2 cents.

We usually get a single just a little over a month before an album is released. And I would say the only thing they would really need to do to market this album is tour. But who knows. We all want an album and they know it, hopefully we will know something soon. :)

Universal Music Guests at MIDEM - January 26, 2011
5390381748_7458c6f73d_b.jpg

Universal Music guests at Midem | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

So -- Paul McGuiness : Radio Vertigo 1:0.

ATYCLB and HTDAAB talk - mostly Bono - about a quick follow up were far less substantial, and there was no "wrapping up" talk from producers.

OR they can go a little more low key since they're in the middle of a huge tour right now. Plus, for that same reason, there is a lot less time for a massive hype campaign. If it's really a departure, it makes extra sense to be a little extra careful with the Hype. I think it's refreshing not to be bombarded with "it's the sound of _____" or "we're getting lost in the music" non stop. edit and don't forget Bono and Edge were busy in NY with Spiderman, and that they're currently locked up in France, busy with finishing the album.

when i met paul mcguinness on the floor of continental airlines arena during the vertigo tour (key words here... vertigo tour) he was clearly shitgfaced and offered us wristbands to "get into the heart."

so perhaps we shouldn't put too much stock into what paulie mcg says when he's been drinking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom