Pro-shot footage during world-cup from NY, Milan on TV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OpperGoeroe

War Child
Just read this on atu2.com:

How ESPN Scored U2 for Cup Promos

U2 will be on stage with The Walt Disney Co. networks' coverage of the world's biggest sporting event. The Irish rockers are lending songs and band members are supplying voiceovers to five promo ads touting ESPN, ESPN2 and ABC's coverage of the 2006 FIFA World Cup. The quartet also will appear on shoulder programming for the month-long soccer tournament, which kicks off in Germany on June 9.

Tim Scanlan, senior coordinating producer for ESPN's World Cup coverage, said it started when he envisioned U2 song "City of Blinding Lights" as the background for a tournament wrap-up piece.

"The song was written for New York, but I could see Berlin," Scanlan told The Wire, referring to the site of the July 9 final. Contact was made with the group and ideas sprang for the event's promotional campaign executed by Weiden & Kennedy around the theme "One Game Changes Everything" and ancillary programming.

"They're the biggest band in the world and this is the biggest sporting event," Scanlan explained after a press conference last Thursday in Manhattan discussing Disney's World Cup broadcast plans. "They like how it fits with their image. They love the World Cup."

U2's "Beautiful Day," it should be noted, became the theme song for NBC's coverage of the 2000 Summer Games in Sydney.

High-definition footage of U2 concerts from New York, North Carolina, Chicago and Milan will be dropped into the studio show World Cup Live , which will air daily during the tournament.

Bono and company will advise on songs used to complement action during the tournament.
Never knew there was pro-shot footage of New York or North Carolina? Sounds great, hopefully we'll see more stuff of the (maybe) upcoming Milan DVD.

OpperGoeroe said:
Just read this on atu2.com:

Never knew there was pro-shot footage of New York or North Carolina? Sounds great, hopefully we'll see more stuff of the (maybe) upcoming Milan DVD.

At the last show at MSG on the tour, I did see a cameraman or two on the ellipse and stage, so maybe it's related.

Eliv8 said:
I think they have filmed every show since Zoo.

Maybe from the ground up, for the overhead screens. But I don't remember the roving cameramen with cordless shoulder-carried cameras at the other shows besides the last MSG one.

I was at the NC show and saw the cameras. I think I have a pic somewhere of the camera guy. I remember hearing about them using it for ESPN, but I thought that happened a while ago.

Edit: Here's a crappy pic, but you can see the camera man...
adamcamera.jpg

Last edited:
There were signs up in Charlotte NC that said the show was being taped. I think ESPN was on the signs...

Yep, all those ESPN cameramen were filming in Charlotte. We were a little confused and asked the guys why they were filming and they said it was for a commercial.

They were nice guys though. One of them held my posters for me for a while.

I'm just waiting for the footage now. Being that the camera was virtually in our faces, I'm sure one of us had to be doing something silly or stupid at that moment!

I can't vouch for my actions during U2 concerts. Too much energy and excitement!

-Christine

Back
Top Bottom