Prince on U2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swizzlestick

The Fly
While I was at the Prince concert in Kansas City last night I learned two things. 1) I ws blown away at how good a guitarist he is and 2) He is ignorrant

At one point he said to the crowd, "I love U 2, but not the band. U hear me, i love U 2, but not the band."

Other than that one comment, it was a great show.

Swizzlestick

i hear he is a hell of a basketball player though

did you go to the concert in st louis?

I heard he's friends with Bono, too... In one of the POP promotional interviews Bono told the story about how Prince asked him for a place to live, and he told him that dubliners talk a lot, and recommended him Barcelona. So Prince went to Barcelona and ended making a record, one with Tha Sagrada Familia on the cover...

And Bono, making analogies between rock and pop bands and classical compositors, compared him to Mozart...

... Metallica were Wagner, and U2 were Rossini, BTW

Rastat said:
I heard he's friends with Bono, too... In one of the POP promotional interviews Bono told the story about how Prince asked him for a place to live, and he told him that dubliners talk a lot, and recommended him Barcelona. So Prince went to Barcelona and ended making a record, one with Tha Sagrada Familia on the cover...

And Bono, making analogies between rock and pop bands and classical compositors, compared him to Mozart...

... Metallica were Wagner, and U2 were Rossini, BTW

Say what?! He said Metallica were Wagner? Th'ts awesome!! Does that mean Bono has listened to Metallica more than I know? Uh, I need to know more!! Where did he say that? Where can I find it? I must know! I must now now!!!! Bono is one hell of a inteligent man I knew he would know Metallica a little more!!!!!!!!

:hyper: :applaud: :bow:

TheBrazilianFly said:

Say what?! He said Metallica were Wagner? Th'ts awesome!! Does that mean Bono has listened to Metallica more than I know? Uh, I need to know more!! Where did he say that? Where can I find it? I must know! I must now now!!!! Bono is one hell of a inteligent man I knew he would know Metallica a little more!!!!!!!!

:hyper: :applaud: :bow:

great comparision...
and yeah.. is awsome that Bono has listened to Metallica...

long live metallica
long live wagner
long live metal

Chizip said:
i hear he is a hell of a basketball player though

game...
prince.jpg

...blouses

That comment alone does not make him ignorant. It was a statement of opinion. People are allowed to dislike U2 and have valid reasons for it.

That is all. :)

Did anybody ever think maybe he didn't mean that he didn't LIKE U2, but he simply wasn't REFERRING to them at the moment? Haven't you ever said, love you too, then had to go, well, not U2 the band, as in, I'm not talking about the band right now, but YOU, see what I mean?

I think it's a compliment to U2 and probably does mean that they are on his mind and he likes them that something like that even came up and was said. Prince thinks of symbolic things (not only when his name was a symbol) like that, remember his song "I would die 4U" So of course U 2 would make him think of U2. Give the guy a break. I don't think he meant anything negative I really don't.

Last edited:
I really don't think he met he hates U2. Sounds to me he was just saying something in the moment. Bands do that alot at live shows.

Drum beat going on.....bump bump bump...I love U2, but not the band....bump bump bump...I love U2, but not the band...bump bump bump...I SAID I LOVE U2, but not the band..............................PURPLE RAIN, PURPLE RAIN....(CROWD GOES CRAZY!!!!!!!!!):applaud:

Wild Angel said:
Did anybody ever think maybe he didn't mean that he didn't LIKE U2, but he simply wasn't REFERRING to them at the moment? Haven't you ever said, love you too, then had to go, well, not U2 the band, as in, I'm not talking about the band right now, but YOU, see what I mean?

I think it's a compliment to U2 and probably does mean that they are on his mind and he likes them that something like that even came up and was said. Prince thinks of symbolic things (not only when his name was a symbol) like that, remember his song "I would die 4U" So of course U 2 would make him think of U2. Give the guy a break. I don't think he meant anything negative I really don't.

It was definitely not a compliment. It was a blatant stab at them. And he made a point that the audience heard them by repeating it. It's no big deal, I just thought it was kind of funny actually. I recorded the show and have it on tape. Will try to post an mp3 so you can judge for yourself.

But really, wouldn't just U2 fans, make that connection, you too, you two, you to,=U2 the band?

Come on, it's only us that get a little spark when someone says, you too/two/to.

:laugh:

Back
Top Bottom