Pride (Live and rare version)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ishkash

War Child
available at www.u2station.com is worth checking for a 'special' The Edge solo, I mean the guitar crank after the regular solo,when Bono says "The Edge", is truly amazing, maybe more so cause I haven't heard anyhting like that from the man.Or is it some guest playing that part? Anyways its one of those rare U2 moments that adds to the madness.If The Edge has played that part then I have no doubt whatsoever that he can play conventional solos and they should add this to the third leg to save Pride from 'mundane routine'.

A must have for those who don't have it yet.

------------------
ALL THIS THAT

you know, ive heard about a version like this...

thanks man, i will be sure to get it yet tonite, and post sometime as to what i think about it.

:)

------------------
-deathbear

ishkash,

I know what you mean...and you?re absolutely right! That performance of Pride is one of my faves, for sure it would sound great on the next concerts. It?s funny you mention that, because yesterday I was thinking the same while listening to that cover of Won?t get Fooled Again that they played at Irving Plaza...I mean, that Edge can indeed play conventional solos, and much better than many guitar heroes, LOL

[This message has been edited by follower (edited 10-09-2001).]

*downloading as we speak, err, write*

Thanks for sharing, ishkash.
smile.gif

That has to be a second guitarist playing the solo. You can still hear the Edge playing in the background during the middle-eight, and the guitar used for the lead in the middle-eight doesn't sound like any guitar the Edge uses.

Originally posted by speedracer:
That has to be a second guitarist playing the solo. You can still hear the Edge playing in the background during the middle-eight, and the guitar used for the lead in the middle-eight doesn't sound like any guitar the Edge uses.

Yeah, I think you're right. It's not the Edge playing that solo. Anyone know who it was?

------------------
Please change my status

Well,

We had this discussion last spring. According to FLOM, (which I can't check right now 'cause it seems to be down) that extra guitar is actually played by Eric Clapton.

I can't for the life of me come up with the show that it's from, but I remember that it's Clapton.

-Mike

Well the song was recorded from one of their Amnesty Conspiracy of Hope shows they played, but the solo was spliced from another song probably.

------------------
The more of these I drink the more Bono makes sense.. - Bean from the KROQ Breakfast with U2.

thanks for the lead ishkash.Pride is a very special song, that's something I would love to hear.
Was it you or tomtom who kindly found and posted a picture of the planet taken at night? It's wondorous. If it was you, thanks.
I appreciate all the nice things the people in this forum find to share.

In The Name of Love.

No cass, I don't remember doing anything like that, but "make no mistake" people really do some nice things here.

follower, good to hear from you again, Yeah The Edge brings the house down in Irving Plaza bootleg, my fave U2 bootleg (my only U2 bootleg
biggrin.gif
).I too love that solo on Mysterious Ways and Won't Get Fooled Again is special too.

As for this version of Pride its hard to belive its The Edge, cause one can also hear the main rhythm riff during the solo in the background, but as for now I'd like to believe its The Edge.
wink.gif

------------------
ALL THIS THAT

I have heard that version. It is a guest guitarist, and I am trying to think of who it was. I do not remember it being Eric Clapton, but it is someone along those lines...

Originally posted by Mike P:
Well,

We had this discussion last spring. According to FLOM, (which I can't check right now 'cause it seems to be down) that extra guitar is actually played by Eric Clapton.

I can't for the life of me come up with the show that it's from, but I remember that it's Clapton.

-Mike

FLOM is back up

------------------
Imagine
//oo\\

http://eliv8.fws1.com/

Well, I guess I'm the asshole of the day...

I searched FLOM again, and it turns out that this version of pride was recorded on June 4th, 1986, at the Cow Palace in SF, and can be found on the bootleg entitled "LIVE USA"

the review states that:

" The Edge plays a very aggressive guitar during "Pride (In The Name Of Love)," with an unusual amount of "rock" distortion."

I don't know why the hell I though Clapton was involved. Oh well...

-Mike

Originally posted by follower:
It?s funny you mention that, because yesterday I was thinking the same while listening to that cover of Won?t get Fooled Again that they played at Irving Plaza...I mean, that Edge can indeed play conventional solos, and much better than many guitar heroes, LOL
I agree with you 100%.
But the The Edge is far too modest to show off like that. I mean he does play a few solos here and there but he won't constantly do it like some of the "guitar heroes".

Maybe the guys at FLOM are wrong. There definetely IS a second guitar and I don't think it's Bono who plays the riff in the background.
Since U2 haven't been the only act that played that night in San Francisco during the Conspiracy of Hope tour, the other guitar player might be someone who played that night as well.

[This message has been edited by Henne (edited 10-10-2001).]

I'm pretty sure that this solo is an overdub that a fan did over the original recording. If you listen to the recording quality itself, the band sounds pretty distant, until that solo comes in. This solo sounds way too clear to have been recorded by the taper.

Well, I've listened to this track about 15 times in a row, and I think I've come up with a couple things.
First, I don't think that it's Edge playing, because his usual guitar line is there in the background.

Second, if it was a fan overdubbing onto the track, they did a HELL of a good job. The power solo gets obscured by applause, and also by squeaks of feedback from someone's microphone at a couple points during the solo. That would be VERY hard to reproduce. Plus, the crowd seems to be going apeshit in time with the power solo. So my guess is that there was someone else onstage with them.

From there it gets hard to figure out, because this is the lineup from that concert:

Amnesty Line Up: Joan Baez, The Neville Brothers, Lou Reed, Jackson Browne, Bob Dylan & Tom Petty and the Heartbreackers, Peter Gabriel, Bob Geldof & Dave Stewart, Bryan Adams, Sting, U2.

...There's no shortage of awesome guitar players there.

That's my 2 cents. The more I listen to this thing, the more I like it, though.

-Mike

If this live version of the song was recorded in 1986, then I don't think the Edge played that solo in that Pride version.
1) You hear two guitars during that solo. The usual Edge guitar sound and that blues rock solo.

2) Stylistically it is not the Edge of the 80s.

3) The Edge at the point in time (1986) did not have the chops to produce that kind of solo (improvised or not). I think he can play something like that now. But back then, not very likely.

Its a fun solo though.

------------------
~ "You can't resist her. She's in your bones. She is your marrow and your ride home. You can't avoid her. She's in the air; in between molecules of oxygen and carbon dioxide." ~ RC

I have the U2 Live Concert book that has every show up until the end of Zoo TV.

There is no mention of any guest guitar players during Pride on any of the Conspiracy of Hope shows.

------------------
The more of these I drink the more Bono makes sense.. - Bean from the KROQ Breakfast with U2.

Back
Top Bottom