Pride: fix it, or don't play it live again...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoocoustic

War Child
I've got to say that the more I listen to Pride live, the more I cringe. This song just isn't what it used to be live. It hasn't been since the Lovetown Tour. In my opinion it's the only weak spot in the Sydney concert and the Slane concert. They have slowed this song down to the point where it is simply unbearable now. And though Bono's voice isn't what it used to be, I say simply speed the tempo up, and it will sound much better - not as it did in it's prime - but still, better than it has for the last 12 years. My suggestion would be: don't play it again until you fix it back to what it should be.

Yeah, I know that's a stretch. They'll likely continue to play Pride at most shows from now until they retire as it is one of their big hits and the concert-going public expects it. But while I absolutely love this song, I can't bear what it has been reduced to when played live.

Your thoughts?

people say the same thing about sunday bloody sunday... much slower now than it used to be, not the same, etc. etc.

to be perfectly honest with ya... i thought both were great. :shrug: even at a slightly lesser pace, the opening chords to pride and the opening drums to SBS still give me goosebumps...

to one his own i guess

I prefer the Elevation and Zoo Pride versions over those from JT and LT. Bono actually sings the chorus now, as opposed to the hack scream he used in the 80's.

As great as a song Beautiful Day is has anybody noticed how when played live the drums just are not right after the first verse and chorus when played live? Also Where The Streets Have No Name just does not have the same momentum live as it does on The Joshua Tree.

I am with you on the Pride thing. I like the Rattle & Hum version more than any other. I don't mund the SBS, but faster would be better.

As for Streets, any live version is better than the album for me. It was meant to be played live.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
people say the same thing about sunday bloody sunday... much slower now than it used to be, not the same, etc. etc.

to be perfectly honest with ya... i thought both were great. :shrug: even at a slightly lesser pace, the opening chords to pride and the opening drums to SBS still give me goosebumps...

to one his own i guess

:up:

Personally, I never thought Pride live was what it was in the studio. Why is it most of their live performances leave their studio versions for dead but they could never recreate Pride?

Listening to Pride now is like watching your parents grow old. It's sad. Lose the song (as well as NYD, SBS and the acustic 'jam'!

MrBrau1 said:
I prefer the Elevation and Zoo Pride versions over those from JT and LT. Bono actually sings the chorus now, as opposed to the hack scream he used in the 80's.

"Hack scream" ---- that is funny!

Cheers,

J

I don't like Pride much live, but I will listen to it every day of the week and twice on Sunday if they'd axe Bullet. Talk about overplayed. It's time for it to retire. And I used to love it live, but there are a dozen songs I'd rather hear.

these songs U2 need to drop from the live set. they lack the energy and fervor they once had.

pride(sounds like a kareoke performance)
with or without you(sounds so tired)
bullet the blue sky(not explosive anymore)
sunday bloody sunday(no kick left)
i still haven't found(go find what's missing......please)
until the end of the world(one more performance and it will be)

Zoocoustic said:
I've got to say that the more I listen to Pride live, the more I cringe. This song just isn't what it used to be live. It hasn't been since the Lovetown Tour. In my opinion it's the only weak spot in the Sydney concert and the Slane concert. They have slowed this song down to the point where it is simply unbearable now. And though Bono's voice isn't what it used to be, I say simply speed the tempo up, and it will sound much better - not as it did in it's prime - but still, better than it has for the last 12 years. My suggestion would be: don't play it again until you fix it back to what it should be.

:yes: I agree, especially the tempo. Recent live versions of Pride have turned me off to the song, which is a shame since it's such a classic.

Overall, I think the best quality about Pride live is that it's a great song for the crowd to get into and sing along with, but Bono's voice hasn't been able to handle it correctly live, ever.

kingofsorrow said:
these songs U2 need to drop from the live set. they lack the energy and fervor they once had.

pride(sounds like a kareoke performance)
with or without you(sounds so tired)
bullet the blue sky(not explosive anymore)
sunday bloody sunday(no kick left)
i still haven't found(go find what's missing......please)
until the end of the world(one more performance and it will be)

Wow, I agree completely! With Or Without is still OK sometimes for me though. The Boston DVD version is awful, but some of the earlier Elevation performances were not to bad. I can take it or leave it. But the rest can go in favor of something else.

If they are going to bring out Bullet again, at least attach Running to Stand Still to it. I could live with it then.

Disclaimer though, this is just my preference. Seeing U2 live performing any of their material is a great experience for me. I would just prefer if they did something else other than these songs for a change. I say this because I know someone is going to say, I dont care what they play at some point,

forget about bono not having any hig in his voice what the fuck happened to larrys drums. rattle&hum dvd, his drums are like thunder did he change his sets because they kind of suck on some songs now.

i think thay need a day or 2 break after every tour so they can get some rest and put a great show not just a good one!(they are 41/43)

bullet the blue sky still rocks though!
WOWY (bono cant sing anymore)
sbs(is melodic now)
walk on(sucks live) i turn the dvd off when ever it comes on.though the tribuet version is kind of nice.

and some one plese send bono to a vocal coach so he can get his voice back:drool: edge is the same(which is good) and adam:huh:

U2 should just ditch all their old songs since they are losing their luster. Their setlist should be:

All the ATYCLB songs they have played (9 songs).

All the songs from the new album (11 or 12 songs)

Electrical Storm, THTBA, TGBHF (3 songs)

And they can add Streets just for sentimentality's sake.

We get a 23 song setlist give or take a few snippets of other songs - not bad.

Cheers,

J

jick said:

"Hack scream" ---- that is funny!

Cheers,

J

Listen to those old bootlegs, it's all throat voice, and he's forcing it usually, which is why he lost range. All you people who pine away for the "old' days don't realise that's what has hurt his voice.

Back
Top Bottom