Pre 1990 vs. post 1990

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
U2girl said:
Pre 1990. No contest.

ohhh... so you don't like ATYCLB and HTDAAB wich are post 1990?
Or maybe on your crusade to make the 90's U2 their worst era, you didn't even read the first post?
:rolleyes:

Pero said:
Ultra violet is not a boy band song because it's too profound and too much mature to be a Backstreets boys' song

Amen, if you don't realise who the "Baby" is he's refering to ( It's not a toddler) and why he wants him/her/ supernatural being to light his way (read: give him guidance) you are a fool.

P.S. Lovetown owns, ZooTv owns 1989 to 93 all the way...............

P.S. Lovetown owns, ZooTv owns 1989 to 93 all the way...............

I'd say almost spot on, but for me personally U2 were at their musical peak from 87-93, even though they have produced some great material before and after those years, arguably their best albums came in that time frame.

In relation to the thread Pre 1990 Vs Post 1990. It's a very unfair argument.

Pre 1990 (8 albums)

Boy (Released October 1980)
October (Released October 1981)
War (Released March 1983)
Under a Blood Red Sky (Released November 1983)
The Unforgettable Fire (Released October 1984)
Wide Awake in America (Released May 1985)
The Joshua Tree (Released March 1987)
Rattle and Hum (Released October 1989)

Post 1990 (5 albums. Passengers does not count, its not an official U2 album, neither do the best of's.)

Achtung Baby (Released November 1991)
Zooropa (Released July 1993)
Pop (Released March 1997)
All That You Can't Leave Behind (Released October 2000)
How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb (Released November 2004)

Probably a little unfair to judge when there are three albums of extra material for the pre 90's to drawn on.

If you look at it as it is now, the pre 90's as a whole would probably win, but if you were to do a comparision with the 5 post 90 albums eg. ab - htdaab against the most recent 5 pre-90 albums r&h - uabrs, I would say that the post 90's is better.

I probably sound like I am rambling a bit, but all of this really is personal opinion, and most of it is influenced by what album got you into U2 in the first place. For me it was AB, for some JT, others Boy, even the newer fans prefer ATYCLB to pre1990. I guess we all can be stuck in a moment sometimes.

Suffice to say, U2 haven't produced a bad album yet, and we are lucky enough to know that we will probably be blessed with another two. I'm just glad I'm here and able to enjoy the ride.

Sken
P.S and Ultraviolet is a great song with great lyrics(chorus included).

Axver said:

Don't you have a brain to find?

Axver, you are the one who is making a fool of himself with all your stupid posts and your "I know everything" comments. When people say they are tired of so-called masters on this board, they all have your name in mind. So get lost. Oh, and I have 3 more words for you : Go to hell!

I prefer the 90's. Better songs, more daring approaches, cooler music, better in general.

Ardvark, I have nothin against you and other members around here. I am just fed up with this guy and no one never tells him to shut up. He is not god around here. He should learn that other people's opinion is as good as his. And I dont care if he knows everything about U2 setlists and shows. That doesnt impress me at all.

just a thought: instead of pre 1990 vs. post 1990, maybe we could switch it to "what's your favorite trilogy"?

trilogy 1: growin' up
Boy
October
War

trilogy 2: finding our roots/discovering America
Unforgettable Fire
The Joshua Tree
Rattle and Hum

trilogy 3: Back to Europe/Losing God in order to find him
Achtung Baby
Zooropa
Pop

trilogy 4: what were we/who are we now?
All That You Can't Leave Behind
How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb

chucky28 said:

Axver, you are the one who is making a fool of himself with all your stupid posts and your "I know everything" comments. When people say they are tired of so-called masters on this board, they all have your name in mind. So get lost. Oh, and I have 3 more words for you : Go to hell!

This is over the top, yes. We do not allow people to talk to other members like this on this forum, even members you don't like. Please read our forum rules concerning personal attacks, etc.

Last edited:
neutral said:

This is way over the top, yes. We do not allow people to talk to other members like this on this forum, even members you don't like. Please read our forum rules concerning personal attacks, etc.

Maybe he was over the top, but I don't see the difference in Axvers usual name calling (idiot, fool, have no taste..ect) and this other fellow telling him to go to hell. There are a few in this forum with an extremely condescending attitude and end up calling names when someone disagrees with them. This attitude IMO has probably driven away some people. I know I for one am pretty damn tired of it.

So in this regards, I really hope Axver and the few others with superiority complexes are also being warned for their personal attacks. Having 6000+ posts shouldn't make certain people immune to public warnings.

For one, this thread is over 6 months old and was bumped up basically just to argue, for two its obvious a lot of you cannot have a normal discussion without name calling and bickering (this goes for everyone not just chucky) so I'm closing this thread. It seems we can never discuss this topic without it going to hell. There is also this great feature called "Ignore" where you can put members you dont care for on a list and wont have to read their posts. Try it :up:

ImOuttaControl said:

Maybe he was over the top, but I don't see the difference in Axvers usual name calling (idiot, fool, have no taste..ect) and this other fellow telling him to go to hell. There are a few in this forum with an extremely condescending attitude and end up calling names when someone disagrees with them. This attitude IMO has probably driven away some people. I know I for one am pretty damn tired of it.

So in this regards, I really hope Axver and the few others with superiority complexes are also being warned for their personal attacks. Having 6000+ posts shouldn't make certain people immune to public warnings.

Oh no, you're right, and point definitely taken. :) Several people in this thread are going to find themselves receiving warnings today. Sometimes we do them in PM or email instead of just replying to a post depending on how many posts need to be addressed, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom