Praise for new U2...shock!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rjhbonovox

Refugee
Just to say that I still think, one year after hearing Original Of The Species that this song IS a great song. Have to say that I really still love listening to this song and despite my negative responses to the last 2 albums I have to admit that Original is probably the best song they have done since Pop, and one of my top 20 favs of U2. Just seen them do a fine rendition of this song live on the Conan O'Brien show, although Edges guitar didn't sound as good as it does on the studio version. OOTS has the best bridge and chorus to a song I have heard in a long time and along with Love and Peace Or Else represent 2 of the best songs they have done since Pop. I have mixed feelings that OOTS has not been a single, on one hand its good that its not going to be played to death on the radio but on the other hand it would have been interesting to hear a different mix of the song had they released it as a single. Anyway here's to Original Of The Species a truly great song and by the way better than anything Colplay have EVER done!:wink:

Hay now- Coldplay is pretty dang good in their own right. And Mr. Gwyneth Paltrow ain't that hard on the eyes either. He's no Bono, but...

Off subject there. OOTS is my favorite song on the new album overall- I loved it the minute I heard it and am still a little disappointed they didn't do it at the show I made it to. Oh well.

I've been enjoying Crumbs From Your Table much more these days.... I used to hate it.

OOTS is a great song, love the guitar, love the...........................

It's class:wink:

Unnecessary slagging off of Coldplay :rockon:

but yeah, OOTS is great

inmyplace13 said:

but yeah, OOTS is great

No not meant of a slagging off of Coldplay but it was in reference to somebody saying thats what I should go listen to the other day after I posted in another thread. :wink:

I praise the new u2 all the time because the new album has 11 good to great songs on it :wink:

One at the bottom of my list, though, was OOTS because of the production and I'm not too fond of the studio version. But the performance on CONAN was brilliant, I've been listening to it everyday since they performed.

the two songs that have gotten better with age to me are OOTS and COBL. Really have benefited from the live performances, two really good songs which probably weren't done full justice on the album. COBL really takes off live and I beleive it is about 1,000 tmes better any given tour performance than the mess on the album.

I like the live OOTS versions, IMO the album version is just too much too fast, there is no suspense or build to the song. The version on Conan was money in the bank. And the way Bono is singing it now, hardly any annoying affectations, really doing a great job.

I'm glad I got into a couple more of the songs, for sure.

I haven't heard OOTS live at all, except for the iPod ad clip (which just frustrated me because it featured the annoying "do do, do do, do do" bit). On the album I agree with some of the above posts. A bit cheesy, runs too fast to the hooks and escalates everything too quick and too often. I will track down the Conan performance and give it a second chance. There are several songs on the album that I'd love to have the band marched back into the studio, dismantle them (no pun intended) and rebuild them, because I think all the pieces are there, just boned it at the last hurdle. Original is one of those, as if it occured to them that it was a big song and therefore it needed to be loaded with bigness, and in the process, numbing what could make it big. I guess that means I'd really like to like it, so I'm more than willing to give it second and third chances.... I just think the album version is a bit too.... Robbie Williams....

In the spirit of this "in general I bag the album but there is something I like quite a bit on it" thread - Love and Peace - love it. It's at it's best when it's cranked to 11 but you are kinda distracted or in another room or something. It just swirls and kicks you in the head even when you are not paying 100% attention, it grabs you and focuses the attention time and time again.

U2DMfan said:
And the way Bono is singing it now, hardly any annoying affectations, really doing a great job.

Those annoying affectations are what turn me away from 90% of Bono's post 2000 stuff!

As for OOTS... didn't like it much originally (no pun intended :wink: ). It definitely grew on me unlike most of the album. After listening to that performance on Conan, I was reminded of how much I've grown to love it!

inmyplace13 said:

but yeah, OOTS is great

Hey, I love Coldplay, but I also agree that it's better than anything they've ever done :wink:

Original is a masterpiece. It is also my favourite from the new album and one of the best songs U2 has ever done, period. I love the version from Conan, but I also really love the one from Chicago (the video on iTunes). The song is just perfect no matter what. I love the album version too, the production is very Beatlesesque, but I do agree that all the live versions are better.

I really think U2 should play OOTS every show for the rest of the third leg...it's so good and I want to see it live!!

AtomicBono said:

Hey, I love Coldplay, but I also agree that it's better than anything they've ever done :wink:

Original is a masterpiece. It is also my favourite from the new album and one of the best songs U2 has ever done, period. I love the version from Conan, but I also really love the one from Chicago (the video on iTunes). The song is just perfect no matter what. I love the album version too, the production is very Beatlesesque, but I do agree that all the live versions are better.

I really think U2 should play OOTS every show for the rest of the third leg...it's so good and I want to see it live!!

I very much agree, I would have loved to have seen them play OOTS when I went to Manchester but nope didn't get it played. Yeah I love Coldplay but I just think they will always struggle to match the best U2 songs out there, Coldplays last album has some good songs on it but nothing that grabs me the way U2's best has done in the past and I would say that OOTS is in my all time top 20 U2 also. The best bit in OOTS is the joining bit between the middle of the song Edges kinda solo and Bono singing "You've been keeping your love under controlllllllllllllllll" and then into the final chorus. I think thats the best part of HTDAAB is the 3 tracks near the end "one step closer" into OOTS and then yahweh, think thats probably my favourite part of the album, kinda U2 in reflective mood.:wink:

Oh also I damned relieved to see that OOTS is on the new live DVD. I hope its a great version!:wink:

rjhbonovox said:
Oh also I damned relieved to see that OOTS is on the new live DVD. I hope its a great version!:wink:

It's been a long time and I don't have a boot, but I was at the show. I remember it being decent, but nothing too special (aside from, of course, its rarity). I enjoyed it much more when the band played it again in Chicago, last month. Much, much, much better...but Jesus H. Christ, were those curtains-o-light worthless. They did everything they could to ruin the song, but (thankfully) they weren't able to pull it off.

It was solid.

rjhbonovox said:

I very much agree, I would have loved to have seen them play OOTS when I went to Manchester but nope didn't get it played. Yeah I love Coldplay but I just think they will always struggle to match the best U2 songs out there, Coldplays last album has some good songs on it but nothing that grabs me the way U2's best has done in the past and I would say that OOTS is in my all time top 20 U2 also. The best bit in OOTS is the joining bit between the middle of the song Edges kinda solo and Bono singing "You've been keeping your love under controlllllllllllllllll" and then into the final chorus. I think thats the best part of HTDAAB is the 3 tracks near the end "one step closer" into OOTS and then yahweh, think thats probably my favourite part of the album, kinda U2 in reflective mood.:wink:

:yes: I love Coldplay but comparing them to U2 is like comparing...uhh...oh come on, do I even NEED an analogy for this one? :wink: and I most definitely agree about the best part of OOTS, the "do do do's" to the "you've been keeping your love under CONTROOOOOOOOLLLLLLL" is heavenly, and then when it goes back to the chorus it's even better :drool: what an amazing song.

Reflective U2 is good. Though I wish they would have used that alternate version of Yahweh.

The video of OOTS from iTunes is from the DVD, btw, in case you didn't know. there's an mp3 of it somewhere too if you don't already have one

Back
Top Bottom