Post your favorite little U2 moments

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sulawesigirl4

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
Ok, it's a bit dead today. So, I'm making an attempt at a thread. Share a priceless little U2 moment. Maybe something you saw on a video or maybe live in concert. A gesture or an off-tune note or something quirky. Y'know...those little things that make you laugh or cry and that you could replay over and over (in your mind or on your TV).

I'll start.
smile.gif

One of my favorite little moments was when I saw them at Boston 4. They played Party Girl (which was fantastic, btw) and near the end of the song if you were watching, you could see Bono mouth to Edge "How does this end?" They hadn't played it live in eons.

next?

-sula

------------------
~I want to play the guitar very badly, and I do play the guitar very badly - Bono~

Take a virtual tour of U2's Dublin... Crzy4Bono's U2 page with some of Sula's Dublin pic's

Originally posted by Gina Marie:
The first one that comes to my mind right away is seeing Edge 'smash' and kick his guitar in Boston 1-whoa Edge!!

*hopes and prays this is in the DVD*
biggrin.gif

like I've been saying elsewhere...if the DVD has the same recording of the show that I saw when I visited AM in Iceland (they had played the whole thing on Icelandic TV) then YES, it IS on there.
biggrin.gif

My favorite U2 moment was probably my first U2 concert, PopMart Madison. I was on the floor with my parents and my sister. When I heard "Pop Muzik" start, my heart began racing. Then, when I heard the crowd start screaming, so I knew U2 was going onstage, but I couldn't see them at first...then my sister (who hated U2 with a passion then) said, sounding VERY bored, "I see Bono...". I screamed, "WHERE?!?!?!?" and was thinking, how come that U2 hating bitch got to see Bono before me????? Then I got my first glimpse of Bono in person, and I just went hysterical...and I got so excited that I started to hyperventilate. Mom was telling my dad to make me calm down so I wouldn't pass out. *lol* It was an absolute thrill...what a night!!!
smile.gif

------------------
"I don't know you,
But you don't know the half of it..."

Originally posted by sulawesigirl4:
like I've been saying elsewhere...if the DVD has the same recording of the show that I saw when I visited AM in Iceland (they had played the whole thing on Icelandic TV) then YES, it IS on there.
biggrin.gif

YES!!!! I can't wait!!

I never thought I'd see the day Edge would do that-he transformed from 'Clark Kent into Superman'
wink.gif
before my very eyes. I just love him
smile.gif

Atlanta this past March. Bono takes an old INXS shirt from a guy next to me at the rail at the end of "Stuck," buries his face in it & kisses it, then gives it back to the guy and tells him thanks. Pretty cool moment at the start of the tour.....

My first show back in 1992, ZooTV. U2 played the World Music Theater the night before and residents had called to complain about the "noise" *WTF?* The mayor had called the venue and threatened them to turn down the volume for the second night. Well, Bono heard and read about all this and when it was time to do his phone calls on stage he really called the city's mayor, asked what the problem was and had the volume turned back up! That is still the best show I've ever seen!

------------------
~*Honey*~

The doors you open
I just can't close...

If you dream,
Dream out loud

Well, I could tell you a bunch but will stick to a few.

One is definatly during MW at the second show in London. He was really into it, dancing like I've never seen him. Some girls at the front row reach him dollarbills which he takes and puts them in his pants and then out of nowhere he unzips his pants, just quick down and then up but it was just too funny.

Then of course when he tried to speak swedish in Stockholm. You are never prepared to hear him speak your language wich makes you just wonder what he said so the first time noone reacted, he then turns to Edge and asks him if it was right and Edge just laughs and shakes his head and then he says the sentance again and everyone hears and cheers. I laugh every time I hear it.

I mostly fall for what he says so here's another one, taken from Copenhagen. After WOWY when they was about to leave the stage before the last encore, Bono says:
"Larry wants to stay onstage. He's a drummer, and they are practical and he says it's more efficient to stay onstage instead of leaving it and then come back, say two min later. Edge doesn't care what we do and Adam, he never even notice that we have left the stage and I, I'm the singer and do whatever you want me to do, I just want you to love me"
Isn't that the cutest?

The moment I like to remember is from a year ago in Rio, when I got to see them performing their showcase on Globo TV. There was this rumour that they could premiere Walk On and people were eager to hear that one. Then after they played the first set including BD, Elevation and Stuck we started to shout WALK ON, WALK ON, WALK ON...Adam was standing there, right side of the studio stage, kinda quiet, only observing...then he got closer to us, smiling and holding his bass and some friends and I replaced the WALK ON shouts for ADAM, ADAM, ADAM...his shy smile became a big grin, so cool. Later on they performed BD and Stuck again, plus TGBHF. I'll never forget those precious moments.

------------------
Seu pa?s ? lindo. Seu povo ? lindo. Suas vozes s?o lindas. N?o esqueceremos voc?s. - Bono - S?o Paulo - 01/31/1998

Originally posted by MissZooropa:
After WOWY when they was about to leave the stage before the last encore, Bono says:
"Larry wants to stay onstage. He's a drummer, and they are practical and he says it's more efficient to stay onstage instead of leaving it and then come back, say two min later. Edge doesn't care what we do and Adam, he never even notice that we have left the stage and I, I'm the singer and do whatever you want me to do, I just want you to love me"

Awwww...*lol*
icon42.gif

------------------
"I don't know you,
But you don't know the half of it..."

My favorite moment was Philly 2 back in June when I wore a green feather boa! When EDGE and the boys walked out on stage I was jumping up and down and waving the boa. Well, EDGE saw me and laughed!!!!

Then after that everytime I would wave the boa in the air, he would smile at me!
After the show I wanted to toss EDGE the boa, but instead my boa ended up landing on Larry's foot! LOL!!

Great stuff, guys. I'm enjoying reading these.
smile.gif

I thought of another one. On the video "Classic Albums - the Making of the Joshua Tree" when Bono and Danny are in the studio going over old tapes. Danny points out something like "That's Bono's guitar." And Bono gets this adorable kind of bashful, hopeful, little-boy-proud-of-himself kind of look. Then he says, "No one's ever said that before." SO CUTE!

-sula

1. Painting "I'll see you again when the stars fall from the sky and the moon turns red..." On Windmill Lane Studio

2. Getting chased out of Bono's driveway "the gates" by his giant security guard in Ireland.

3. Shaking all their hands outside of Irving Plaza in the bitter cold telling each of them how good they sounded from outside the building in the freezing weather.

4. Front row Yankee Stadium Zoo TV Outside Broadcast

5. Meeting Mark Fisher at his flat in London and discussing stage design at his dining room table.

6. September 14, 1987 Giants' Stadium

7. Three shows this tour.

8. Seeing Rattle and Hum in the theater the day it came out, the completely empty theater the day it came out, and then buying the record.

9. Scalping a ticket for $90 (back then!!!) for Zoo TV indoors at Brendan Byrne Arena in some guys car who I thought was going to kill me as I was alone, and he was sketchy.

10. Telling my father that U2's music was too "hard" for me and refusing to go to the Unforgettable Fire tour when I was 11! Oh, that is actually my absolute least favorite little U2 moment!!!!

cheers.

ouizy.

Originally posted by ouizy:

10. Telling my father that U2's music was too "hard" for me and refusing to go to the Unforgettable Fire tour when I was 11! Oh, that is actually my absolute least favorite little U2 moment!!!!

OUCH!

Whenhiphop...

I do not know Mark Fisher, I just met him, well actually stalked him a bit. I am really into stage design and I had a free day in London, so I decided to find him. Here is the quick story:

I looked in the phone bok in London, and being a totally ignorant American I had no idea how their numbering system (neighborhods, zip codes ???) worked. I got on a subway which I thought would take me to his location, as a "Mark Fisher" was actually in the phone book. I ended up in some small suburb of London totally confused. I had no idea where I was, and simply hoped the train that took me there would take me back. Before meeting him, I figured his "office" would be in an office building, well...

I came to the address for "Mark Fisher" and it looked like some kind of garage transformed into a studio of some kind. I walked in thinking I was in the right location (hey maybe he works out in the 'burbs), and walked up to a receptionist. I asked her if Mr. Fisher was in, and her reply was that she thought I had the wrong address. She asked me who I was looking for and I said Mark Fisher. She said, "I do not know him, what does he do?" I said, "He designs rock and roll stages for U2, Pink Floyd, and the Rolling Stones..." She said, "...Did you say the Rolling Stones?" I said yes, and asked her why. She asked me if I had any idea where I was standing? I said no, and she told me I was in a very famous photographer's studio (I forget his name I think David something..) She said that he has shot the Stones, and was very good friends with Mick's former wife. She then flipped through her Rolodex and came across a number. She called it and asked a few questions to whomever was on the other end. She scribbled some stuff down and handed me an address. I asked her what it was and who she just spoke to. She told me that she called Mick Jagger's agent and he gave her Mark Fisher's address for me.

I was shocked to say the least. She explained to me EXACTLY how to get to his place.

When I got there, again I only saw apartment buildings and thought she was pulling my leg. I went up to the address she told me (it had started to pour rain at this point) and I rang the bell. The door opened and Mark Fisher immediately said, "Greg???" I knew what he looked like so I knew it was him and I said, "..no it's ____ - I am a big fan of yours, can I ask you a couple of questions?" He told me he was waiting for a guy named Greg to have a meeting with and I should come back in an hour. I said sure.

An hour later I rang the bell again and he asked me in and what my name was. he said he usually did not get many dripping wet Americans ringing his doorbell, so he would answer some questions.

I met him right before Popmart and I started to ask him all about what U2's next tour would be like. He told me he could not tell me, but we spoke about their previous tours as well as those of Pink Floyd and the Stones that he did. He game me some images of his stages and I asked him where his office was as this was clearly his home. He told me that he works out of his home and do not even think about asking him for a job because he only has one other person working for him. He told me that Mick, Bono and a few others had actually sat exactly where I was sitting at his dining room table discussing stage issues. I almost jumped out of my skin. A few more questions, many thank yous, a photo, and I was on my way. It was only when I got back to my youth hostel did I realize what I actually did that day. It is rare that you ever get to meet one of your heros, let alone sit at their dining room table and chat with them.

We have sent a couple of emails back and forth ever since, and I still think what happened was totally amazing.

If you are interested you should check out his website (although he does not update very often!!!)
http://www.stufish.co.uk/

ouizy

taking my gf to her first U2 show and have her singing along almost as much as I did myself

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

Stockholm 2:

I had one big request and I was waiting and waiting,and when Bono started telling the Joey Ramone story I felt such a great relief and when The Edge started playing the opening chords I did something I hadn?t done in years I broke down crying.......IALW,it?s something about that song which always gets me so emotional,but I haven?t reacted so strong, not before nor after,The song I was "Afraid" of emotionally was actually One.
But okay when they started NYD I had goosebumps for two straight hours......

may 28th, 2001, montreal, pq.
after seeing the band play the molson centre the night before, i had learned that they were staying at the omni hotel. well on the 28th, during which i was seeing them again, i waited outside the hotel from probably 9:30am(this early time was not easy given the large amount of guinness i consumed at peel pub the previous night). around 4 the band come out, except bono who was sick.

adam had already signed my popmart tour book(the part in the middle with all 4 of their pictures), when got to me. i handed him the book thinking that it was his picture that was facing upwards, i of course was just staring at him in awe. well he took the book, looked down, at the people around me and then back at me and said 'who is this ugly fucker?', i looked down and there was the edge's picture. everyone around laughed and i sheepishly changed the page for larry.

------------------
Kobayashi's bizarre use of colour, superfast editing and extreme camera angles, coupled with a hilariously deadpan performance by Toshiro Takemitsu as the inspector who discovers a whole family of ghosts travelling without valid tickets, remains without peer.

My favourite moments were all from eh same concert - London 19th August.

1. Shouting out "SNAP" embarassingly loudly while waiting in the queue

2. Getting into the heart, leaping into the air, and shouting in a homer simpson voice "WooHoo!", then calling my dad to tell him.

3. Everyone in the heart trying to get a mexican wave going, but no-one would take it.

4. Discotheque - When Edge guitar riff kicked, in, I jumped higher that I ever have in my life.

5. Mysterious Ways (think this has already been mentioned) - someone at the front handed Bono money. He put it in his belt like a stripper. THen he handed it back, and unzipped his flies - everyone screamed like little teenage girls - it was hilarious.

6. Bullet the Blue Sky - That sent sivers down my spine. Bono shouted "Hey JOHNNY!!!" as loud as he could - it was so chilling.

------------------
Watch More TV, ITs your world you can change it, taste is the enemy of art, Every thing you know if wrong, mock the devil, and he will flee from thee
www.geocities.com/nshaikspike/evil.html

Hehe, cool stuff some of ye got there!

I dunno, I'm sure there is many, and I have a memory of a fish, soo....

Popmart Dublin second night in 97, my 1st ever gig, Bono freaking out cause some bollix was shining a laser light into his eye, and he said "If ya shine that feckin thing into my eye once more I'll bloody kill ya!" Or something very similiar, and then, laughing "Don't make me angry now!"

Also, during Bullet I think, me and my former neighbour, she's American, and we joined hands and help the american and Irish flags together, right down the front, and Bono was strolling past and he just stopped right in front of us, on the walkway, and smiled, folded his arms, stood still, like it was the feckin National Anthem playin, and it seemed like he was staring at us for ages! And then he nodded, smiled and went on with his business.

Slane2, some1 hit Bono smack with a beer in the face, or something , the whole crowd went "ooooooooooh!" lol, and Bono just said "I hope that was water!" Or not piss or something, hehe.

Realising a friend of mine had got us tickets for Slane2 on the day they were released by surprise!

In London, first night, me and a friend and a few drunk Scot lads did what u tried to do NShaik, we were in the Heart, and got the WHOLE arena doing the Mexican wave!
eek.gif

Being really tall and right up the front of that gig, jumping to like a higher point than Bono, and him laughing alot at our stupidity. Also weirdest moment when he was singing Kite and being the time of his dad approaching death, being able to see RIGHT into his eyes, was spine chilling, very
frown.gif
It's not something good, and I swear he was looking right at me through the song, and actually motioned the peace sign after, but it was weird to say the least.

Slane1 in general

The start of Streets at any gig.

Coming back from Popmart, after it ended, remember standing there shaking, my first gig, totally fuckin freaked!! I musta stood there for 20 minutes hoping it was one really long break U2 were taking, and they were gonna jump out again and surprise everyone
biggrin.gif

Actually, think I did that last one at all the U2 gigs i was at
tongue.gif

Listening to the crowd reaction on the Slane bootleg of Streets.

Queueing for Slane1 tickets, 11 hours, didn't get em, horrible horrible experience, but also one helluva night full of stories in itself! And the state I went into when I realised tickets were sold out and I was next against the door, lol, my mates tell me it was priceless how mental I went.

Ahem, I think I said too much...time to sleep
smile.gif

ouizy, you know Mark Fisher! Wow... he?s really really cool. Their stage designs are just amazing.
One of my best moments this year was when I wanted them to play "Wake up dead man". I shouted this to Bono, he went to the Edge, whispered sth. in his ear, then they started. And the "For Africa" - bit was not bad either :)

WOW! Let's see, in no order...

1. First time Seeing U2 LIVE, ZOO TV, I was just a kid! But still, I was all freakin' HYPER! LOL

2. POP Mart Live - DAMN, The whole show was just
eek.gif
Awesome!!

3. Elevation Tour in San Jose #1 show, I was in the heart, and for a moment seconds I grab on to Bono's hand!
icon35.gif
OMG I nearly died! He was so close.. I was TOUCHING HIM!
eek.gif
Even though I nearly crack a rib to get to him but it was cool! lol

4. Elevation Tour In San Jose show #2: When they played "Stay" Awwwwww!

5. Lastnight in Oakland, Edge giving me a smile and a wave goodbye as he was leaving to get ready for the concert when they arrived!
smile.gif

------------------
But you take what you can get
'Cause it's all that you can find
Oh, you know there's something more
But tonight, tonight, tonight

(??.?(?*?.? ?.?*?)?.??)
?.???. *Monica*.???.?
(?.??(?.??* *??.?)??.)

[This message has been edited by SweetOnU2 (edited 11-16-2001).]

Larry giving me his drumstick with a huge smile on his face.

Priceless!

smile.gif

------------------
And I have no religion
And I don't know what's what

These are all fun to read. Since everyone added 'non-concert' ones too, I'll add...

Shaking hands w/ Bono and getting Larry's autograph last June-well, and just being right in front of Larry and staring at him while trying to maintain some sort of composure
eek.gif

In Milwaukee this year Bono grabbed a hat from someone during the Fly, and proceeded to do a little magic show on stage (the separated finger trick). People stared throwing dollar bills and loose change at the hat as he held it out.

Originally posted by ouizy:

I do not know Mark Fisher, I just met him, well actually stalked him a bit. I am really into stage design and I had a free day in London, so I decided to find him. ...It is rare that you ever get to meet one of your heros, let alone sit at their dining room table and chat with them.

ouizy

ouizy --
DREAM OUT LOUD, BABY!!! nice goin'!

Deb (I'm really diggin' this thread)

------------------
***Grace makes beauty out of ugly things***

the greatest frontman in the world -- by truecoloursfly: http://www.atu2.com/news/article.src?ID=1575

Originally posted by Salome:
taking my gf to her first U2 show and have her singing along almost as much as I did myself

Ooohhhhh, how cute Salome!
Love is in the air...for you, lucky Dutch, LOL
But you deserve it
wink.gif

------------------
Seu pa?s ? lindo. Seu povo ? lindo. Suas vozes s?o lindas. N?o esqueceremos voc?s. - Bono - S?o Paulo - 01/31/1998

Back
Top Bottom