Post U2 sounding like bands or songs...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theu2fly

Refugee
The Stills

Ryan Adams - So Alive

the French Kicks

Franz Ferdinand is like a younger U2.

theu2fly said:
Franz Ferdinand is like a younger U2.

I beg to differ there! I finally heard some of their music a few days ago and I thought it was total crap. So maybe they're what young U2 would have been if they were total crap.

"Up, Up, Up" on the Goo Goo Dolls 'Gutterflower' has a little U2 in it, has a little anthem feel and Edge-like delayed triads in Rzeznik's guitar.

there should be an unspoken rule here that we never mention the goo goo dolls ever again on this board or john rzeznick either. They are crappier and even more predictable than matchbox 20. Death to GOO

What's wrong with Goo? They're early stuff is great. not even close to Matchbox in suckiness. Sleeping At Last is a new band, I've discoverd on Interscope that has some really cool Unforgettable Fire style U2 stuff goin on, you should check them out.

here's a new one, just found them.
they're called GIVE. I don't know who they are
but I like what I hear. do a search for givemusic and you'll find them. that's how i discovered them

cheers,
Larry777

i don't know of any band that sounds like U2, perhaps thats why i like them so much.

the Killers are trying to go for that 'big' sound that U2 create i think.

i don't think Franz sound anything like U2, but they are still a good band.

Ryan Adams' album Rock N Roll has U2 going through it, paticularly the song "So Alive." "Burning Photographs" is also very U2y somehow... I remember once a local radio station played Burning Photographs and then played Pride right after, and I was like, wow, there is definatley an influence there.

Bloc Party reminds me somewhat of U2... So Here We Are has a sort of WOWY-like buildup. Pioneers has early-U2 style drums and sort of a UF atmosphere. Compliments has a dark, AB feel...

Coldplay probably more than anyone else is extremely U2. Songs like Don't Panic, Clocks, and Moses are so very U2 influenced.

The Killers also have a U2-influenced sound. The helicopter-like guitar and thumping bass of "Somebody Told Me" is reminiscent of 80s U2, and "Midnight Show" is very similar to I Will Follow.

Probably no one else will know this, but the Japanese artist Gackt has a song that is VERY U2, called "~Emu~ (For My Dear)" from his Mars album. For one, the bassline is basically WOWY except the last two notes, and then the first two. The guitar is similar to Streets, and there are parts that remind me of Miracle Drug (even though Miracle Drug came out later :p) I highly reccomend this song.

There are plenty of others I'm sure...

The_One1932 said:
there should be an unspoken rule here that we never mention the goo goo dolls ever again on this board or john rzeznick either. They are crappier and even more predictable than matchbox 20. Death to GOO

you gotta relax bro.
I'm no fan of theirs, but at least they're not creed or sum41 or whatever...some of their tunes are cool; "Iris" is a good one, "Black Balloon" not bad.

I always thought "Fake Plastic Trees", "Let Down", and "Lucky" from Radiohead were very U2-ish.
:up:

Re: Re: Post U2 sounding like bands or songs...

Axver said:

I beg to differ there! I finally heard some of their music a few days ago and I thought it was total crap. So maybe they're what young U2 would have been if they were total crap.

Wow - I am trying to imagine a more predictable response...

See The Lights does sound a lot like U2.

So does the music of "What Now My Love", by Agnetha Faltskog.

Does anyone think the 80s band Flock of Seagull's tune, "Space Age Love Song" is very U2-ish sounding? At least the echoey guitars in that song always reminds me of U2.

what about Keane?

I think that they sound like U2, because of the atmosphere of their songs.

BTW, their album is great!

and Franz Ferdinand are great too

To me, Keane reminds me a lot of Coldplay, and there are a couple Coldplay songs that remind me of U2, both lyrically and melodically. Somebody already mentioned "Don't Panic," and I think that one is the most like a U2 song.

I also think Franz Ferdinand is a lot like U2, but not lyrically at all. To me, they have the same energy as early U2 did, and they have the same kind of wild, enthusiastic stage presence, kind of a "who gives a damn what they all think as long as we're having fun?" attitude to their music and performances. They show a great potential to last, just like early U2 did.

^
Yea, I love Paul's wonderfully bland yet intriguing voice though, but you right the guitarist does have a thing for early eighties Edge imo

Ashley said:
To me, Keane reminds me a lot of Coldplay, and there are a couple Coldplay songs that remind me of U2, both lyrically and melodically. Somebody already mentioned "Don't Panic," and I think that one is the most like a U2 song.

theres a new leaked Coldplay b-side in "Bang and Clatter"
sounds a lot like U2

Back
Top Bottom