Popmart on DVD?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MattyUK

The Fly
I have NEVER seen any footage of a popmart concert **GASP**. I have all the U2 DVD's released so far, and some on VHS. But does anyone know will Popmart be released on DVD? or can I get it on VHS perhaps??

MattyUK said:
I have NEVER seen any footage of a popmart concert **GASP**. I have all the U2 DVD's released so far, and some on VHS. But does anyone know will Popmart be released on DVD? or can I get it on VHS perhaps??

isnt gone from the 90-00 dvd taken from popmart :scratch: anyways, it tends to come up on ebay quite often on vhs (thats where igot mine from :wink: )

as for the dvd, there are reports that the band are working on it

I will make a bold prediction and certainly say that Popmart will not appear on DVD at least for quite a while yet.

The reason is obviously the timing. The absolute minimum they would release it after the Zoo TV would be a year. But added to that, Popmart wasn't nearly as commercially successful (and even beloved) a tour as Zoo TV. Zoo TV had the "oh that concert was brilliant" factor, does Popmart Mexico? I'm not sure.

A lot of people see Zoo TV as U2's heydey, and so the release of the DVD is certainly justified. I just don't think the Popmart show has that going for it. So it may never see the light of DVD, or at least not for a long while, and don't forget Vertigo Milan is still also in the making (although I have my doubts that this will be released. I don't think the band will get away with two DVD's from the same tour. I know they did it with Elevation, but that was different because the Slane show was so special, the homecoming etc. The fact they've released TEN tracks from the Milan DVD on this upcoming U2 18 collection adds to this theory I think.)

It was rumoured about a month ago that Popmart DVD is in works and that Milan DVD will likely be cancelled. (in the end we'll get at least half of it)

Joshua_Tree_Hugger said:
I will make a bold prediction and certainly say that Popmart will not appear on DVD at least for quite a while yet.

Even when 3 of the band members - when talking to fans outside Abbey Road - said Popmart from Mexico is the next DVD release?

Milan is canceled, and I think the 10 tracks on this 18 singles extra edition pretty much sealed that.

Honestly, try to get hold of one of the Popmart dvd's in trade circulation...most of the really good ones are pretty common and someone would likely b&p it to you. I'd go for Santiago, Johannesburg, or Mexico City...Sao Paulo & Buenos Aires are also good.

Nice thing about the boot dvd of Mexico City is it's from the broadcast (Showtime?) and is unedited.

Edit: I need a new avatar, I saw mine 3 times in this thread before I even posted :)

The official Popmart VHS is a much, much weaker show than the other videos out there. I highly recommend the Sao Paulo video that was filmed for MTV.

Popmart was the only U2 DVD/VHS that I had to order online because I couldn't find any stores that carried it.

I remember at that point thinking U2 were over (in terms of popularity and recognition).

Popmart was not seen as popular or successful by the general public...I think the DVD will come someday, but there won't be any rush since there's no real urgency to do it outside of geek fan sites like this one.

Zoocoustic said:

Popmart was not seen as popular or successful by the general public...I think the DVD will come someday, but there won't be any rush since there's no real urgency to do it outside of geek fan sites like this one.

Mate always put The US after this

Popmart WAS HUGE in Europe , South America and Rest of the world , only the happy country of McDonalds didn't appreciate the ' homage '

It's kind of exausting this , always Americans judging by their taste , upon the response of your country , Go Check what NON US people say bout Popmart , The world loved it

Well as a massive U2 fan, I am sure to enjoy it as I just love to see the guys do there stuff. I have enjoyed immensly when they sing "pop" songs in there other concerts so I will try and get hold of a VHS copy !!!

Bono - "Im not going down"
Edge - "Dowwwwwn"
:wink:

J_NP said:

Mate always put The US after this

Popmart WAS HUGE in Europe , South America and Rest of the world , only the happy country of McDonalds didn't appreciate the ' homage '

It's kind of exausting this , always Americans judging by their taste , upon the response of your country , Go Check what NON US people say bout Popmart , The world loved it

Doesn't this ever get old?

Lots of Americans dug Popmart. Granted, every US gig didn't sell out (I guess that's the reason for the "america hated popmart" thing?), so I guess it's fair to say that Popmart wasn't as popular in America as other U2 tours were. Also keep in mind that one reason Popmart was as popular in the rest of the world is that it's one of the few tours where U2 bothered to tour outside North America & Europe. That said...

Popmart probably was U2's least popular American tour...and unfortunately that means Popmart was one of U2's less popular tours, period. That's just the way it is...if the U2 fans in a country as large as the US aren't wild about a particular album/tour, then that affects the overall popularity of the album/tour. It just does, whether anyone likes it or not.

But most of the negativity surrounding Popmart here I think is/was media-driven crap anyway, so who cares? Popmart rocks, and it will probably show up on dvd eventually.

And I still think Santiago's better than Mexico City...

CTU2fan said:

Doesn't this ever get old?

Not older than

AMERICA Didn't love it , The world didn't love it period.

Wasn't good enough here , it can't be good enough outside

I'ts curious but not only Europe , but places like Canada , Mexico itself and Japan And Oceania , had U2 shows before , and still they loved it nonetheless

And u still have to stay quiet , after you hear

"Naahhh Popmart didn't please MY country :hyper: Then it probably was a failure all round the world , IT MUST HAVE BEEN , IT WAS "

Last edited:
J_NP said:

Not older than

Wasn't good enough here , it can't be good enough outside

I'ts curious but not only Europe , but places like Canada , Mexico itself and Japan And Oceania , had U2 shows before , and still they loved it nonetheless

And u still have to stay quiet , after you hear

"Naahhh Popmart didn't please MY country :hyper: Then it probably was a failure all round the world , IT MUST HAVE BEEN , IT WAS "

Actually the German Popmart shows had some of the lowest attendence and most tickets unsold of the entire tour. Also, U2 planned to at least play 3 shows and was hoping to do 4 shows in London. But ticket sales were SLOW, so they only did two. Then added the Belfast date where the other London shows would have gone. Holland (A huge U2 market) barely soldout the 2nd show. They originally were planning 3 to 4 shows there as well. The other 2 were scrapped because tickets went so slow for the 2nd show. Not all Euro shows soldout either, there was some lower attendence in alot of markets there.

My point, Popmart was not as big in Europe either over most of U2's other tours there. Sure there were a few slow sellers in the U.S. They were playing stadium shows in markets that typically dont support that size of a show (IE Memphis, Clemson, Eugene, etc.). But sales in the major markets were very strong with alot of sellouts.

So dont paint it like it was a U.S. only deal. Europe's numbers were not fantastic either. Popmart was not a failure period in the U.S. or Europe. The media portrayed it as that when the album didnt do as well as people thought it would. But to say the U.S. hated it and Europe loved it is a massive stretch.

Last edited:
Blue Room said:

So dont paint it like it was a U.S. only deal. Europe's numbers were not fantastic either.

Ok we can't include South America , coz it was their 1st visit , and it was obvious they were gonna sold it and rock it ......

But still we got the rest of NA , Japan and Oceania ..... and there no probs

The thing is NOT only the number of tickets , it's just this 'american' attitude , of Nah ZOOTV was Heaven Popmart sucked .... Or things like that , Is amazing how always there is somethin to criticize , which I don't just don't see in NON US people

It's something I really start to think , is that because Would Popmart a more European or World Driven show ? I mean ZOOTV had all the things , Bush Intro , WH call , Bono's critic towards the Money grabbers televangelists ......

And Popmart only had like critics , even if hidden , if one can assume the golden arch as a critic to the McDonalds complex , and the whole too much capitalism thing , towards the US

And if is that the case , then it's way more stupid , cuz just ur beloved country wasn't in the center of the thing , then the thing was a mistake or failure like ???

J_NP said:

Ok we can't include South America , coz it was their 1st visit , and it was obvious they were gonna sold it and rock it ......

But still we got the rest of NA , Japan and Oceania ..... and there no probs

The thing is NOT only the number of tickets , it's just this 'american' attitude , of Nah ZOOTV was Heaven Popmart sucked .... Or things like that , Is amazing how always there is somethin to criticize , which I don't just don't see in NON US people

It's something I really start to think , is that because Would Popmart a more European or World Driven show ? I mean ZOOTV had all the things , Bush Intro , WH call , Bono's critic towards the Money grabbers televangelists ......

And Popmart only had like critics , even if hidden , if one can assume the golden arch as a critic to the McDonalds complex , and the whole too much capitalism thing , towards the US

And if is that the case , then it's way more stupid , cuz just ur beloved country wasn't in the center of the thing , then the thing was a mistake or failure like ???

First off, most of the rest of N. America you refer to was markets they had not played before (IE Winnipeg and Edmonton). So it was a first visit. The Vancouver show did not sellout, not even close. The other markets were strong U2 markets, Toronto and Montreal. Well, Chicago, New York and Boston are just as big and most of those shows soldout and had strong numbers. Also, even Bono remarked how Chicago GOT Popmart when they came back and played on Elevation. Last I checked, Chicago was in the United States.

Also, where are these articles you are quoting about the American fan attitude about Popmart? Are you basing that on posts here from fans? Most of which didnt attend a single Popmart show. I saw 9 Popmart shows, 7 in the U.S. and every single crowd was into it. You cant make these blanket statements that have no subtance. Its a purely subjective thing you have made up in your own mind.

Ok, lets keep going. Australian Popmart sales were also fairly weak. They soldout the Perth show, because the venue only seated 10,000. So what markets are you referring to that U2 had played many times previously that were Popmart mania?

Blue Room said:

Also, where are these articles you are quoting about the American fan attitude about Popmart? Are you basing that on posts here from fans?

Reviews from U2tours.com , People who DID attend it , as well as stories / reviews in other well known sites

And like I said I'm not judging only the tickets thing

And I'm not even comin, on people who judged the whole tour , just coz of the beginning , I mean there was the whole 3rd leg , with the tour already on fire , every gut workin , and still the response wasn't very different

J_NP said:

Reviews from U2tours.com , People who DID attend it , as well as stories / reviews in other well known sites

And like I said I'm not judging only the tickets thing

And I'm not even comin, on people who judged the whole tour , just coz of the beginning , I mean there was the whole 3rd leg , with the tour already on fire , every gut workin , and still the response wasn't very different

So you sat and read through all the reviews on U2tours of every single American show and they were for the most part negative? WOW, forgive me, but I find that hard to believe. Also, you are basing that on a very small percentage of fans. How many reviews are there anyway per show? I would guess a max of 20. 20 people out of an average of 30,000 and American attitude towards Popmart was negative? Come on. The only thing that is concrete that you can base the popularity of the tour on is ticket sales. They were down in alot of markets not just the United States.

The only part of the tour that really got negative reviews all around was the first few weeks of the tour. The reason? U2 was not ready to play (by their own admission), so the shows suffered.

<<american attitude>>

This would have happened in any market/country that had some of the first dozen or so shows of the tour. There were some very humbling moments and it took a couple weeks for the our to find it's groove.

I've met fans who didn't like certain shows, myself included, for various reasons.

J_NP said:

I dont think Ameican's disliked it, More like going by media hype, and what the media said, (correct me if i'm wrong but there were some negative reviews?)

Sure It wasnt some fans Cuppa tea, but I'm sure the amount of people who like the tour out ranks thouse who dislike the tour.

The media reviews murdered it before it even got of the ground.

Great reviews would of made the tour a huge success.

Even the band didn't like it. They re-recorded half the songs and they don't play much in public anymore. The fact that Pop will be ignored from U218 also says quite a bit.

So America weren't the only one's that didn't like Pop.

Zoocoustic said:
. The fact that Pop will be ignored from U218 also says quite a bit.

So America weren't the only one's that didn't like Pop.

I thought the popmart tour was the point here

But just one thing , so the same should be told for Zooropa and October ? And almost same for Boy and UF ?

man I'd love to see it on DVD. I have an original Hi-Fi recording on VHS from the showtime broadcast... hmmm... maybe I can transfer it to DVD :p

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom