PopMart @Mexico question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mackemlad

The Fly
I havent seen The Popmart Video from Mexico but have just recently started listening to the audio from the concert and I am really enjoying it.

I had found other popmart shows a little week especially vocally.
But I think the Mexico show is Excellent.

What is the video like Is it worth buying(I didnt see any PopMart shows so I have no idea of what the show was like)

Are the dvd copies of it on ebay any good?

On the version of New years day Bono says something like
"lights off,spotlights off" etc
then at the end of the song says
"get that light out of my face you in the red"

Whats going on there it sounds great

That part of NYD is fantastic! What happens is just like Bono says - all the lights go off, bar Edge's spotlight!

Regards the other incident - someone is shining one of those laser pens(?) all over Bono during one song. You dont hear him say that on the video, but I think he tells them to stop just before Pride...

Other than that - the video is excellent btw!
Mofo...
:drool:

Popmart video is the best I've ever seen from U2, it's a great show, Bono is so fit during Popmart :drool:

Great long during show with a great set list, songs like Mofo, ISHFWILF, Please, Discotheque, One, great :drool:

It's sure worth buying! I have a DVD version of the video and the quality is average, it's worth it.

Definitely buy it. It's a great show. Just having the audio doesn't do it justice.

thanks for the replies guys

Yeah ive seen that jump on the clip on u2.comit looks way cool

Pity the video is the size of mobile phone!!!

Popmart Mexico makes for a good light and effects show. But the video is a much abridged and corrected version.

Some quotes are cut.

Bullet it cut.

Edge hits a few sour notes in the original live performance, such as the note right before the "I believe in Kingdom Come" segement of I Still Haven't Found. In the officially released video, they overdubbed it and corrected it.

Rattle and Hum was full of overdubs too. U2 should just give us a show that is basically unedited with their mistakes in all their glory. U2 shouldn't try to correct their live flaws so that the fans can truly identify who the culprits are in those sour notes onstage. If they correct it and overdub it in their officially released version, how do they expect us to find flaws and scrutinize their every chord?

Sometimes U2 need to get a grip.

Cheers,

J

It is very annoying when the live DVDs are cut - I'd much rather they release one full show, from start to finish. Its even more weird if they cut songs out but then make them available as extras?!?!

But it seems to happen every time so I can't see anything changing.

jick said:
U2 should just give us a show that is basically unedited with their mistakes in all their glory. U2 shouldn't try to correct their live flaws so that the fans can truly identify who the culprits are in those sour notes onstage. If they correct it and overdub it in their officially released version, how do they expect us to find flaws and scrutinize their every chord?

Cheers,

J
Negativity again...:madspit:
Just go watch I will follow from SNL if you want unedited stuff..

ascender_RS said:
It is very annoying when the live DVDs are cut - I'd much rather they release one full show, from start to finish. Its even more weird if they cut songs out but then make them available as extras?!?!

But it seems to happen every time so I can't see anything changing.

Boston was a jigsaw puzzle jumble up of different show. Even the same song had different footage.

Slane had Mysterious Ways cut off from the actual performance and was only included as a bonus.

The Best Of 1990-2000 wasn't exactly as complete as you might think.

U2 just aren't great in releasing videos/DVDs.

Cheers,

J

I think when Bono asks the lights to be turned off at the end of WOWY and all the lighters come up is one of the coolest things I've ever seen. "happy christmas...mexico city."

jick said:

U2 just aren't great in releasing videos/DVDs.

Cheers,

J

First off let me say I have no problem with editing different nights together. The point of a concert DVD is to give fans a great show with the a regular setlist. That means that if the band plays or doesn't play a song that is a concert regular, I think that it's perfectly okay to weave it back in from a different night.

That said, I do agree with you there to some extent. U2 has made a few good moves with DVD's, but for the most part they always do something that kind of leaves me scratching my head like "why did they do that?"
ZooTV is nearly perfect with the exception that they took out "TTTYAATW," which is rumored because the girl on stage drinking was underage. Popmart was edited, but that's okay because they still captured the overall feel of the show.

On the other hand, taking Mysterious Ways out of the Slane show is one of those "what were they thinking moments"--it would have made the show just that much better and would have been a highlight of the concert. The Boston DVD is my favorite of the Elevation DVD's(Because of The Fly and I Will Follow), but I have to say this dvd is a mess. They cut too many songs that were Elevation Tour regulars. One, Pride, and Mysterious Ways were played all the time in the first leg of the tour and should have been included. I've heard the performances on bootleg and they definitely weren't subpar at all. Another "what were they thinking moment." I won't even get into the aweful jerky editing that U2 approved of on that dvd.

Although Red Rocks is great, U2 also felt the need to pull some great songs out of the recording. I'm wondering why, because I have a bootleg with the cut songs added back in and they're fantastic.

Rattle and Hum :eyebrow: I think it's overall a pretty good movie, but imagine how awesome it would have been for a strait concert movie of Joshua Tree and Lovetown Tour songs. :drool:

mackemlad,

Get the video. I have had the audio of that show since 1998 and finally purchased the video just last month. It's amazing. It was especially enlightening for me because I was unable to attend that tour. But I think whether you saw Popmart live or not, you will love the video.

Don't buy bootlegs. Get them from another fan or wait til they are officially released.

As far as Popmart goes, the DVD I made is probably the best one available. Showtime DSS SVHS Master > PC DVD.

Many people have it, so ask around for a B&P in the trading forums...

I love the Popmart Video! It's great for some songs but others it is just fucking AMAZING.

MOFO
LAST NIGHT ON EARTH
EVEN BETTER THAN THE REAL THING
UNTIL THE END OF THE WORLD
DISCOTHEQUE

Superb stuff...first two songs on that list are the BEST versions available and waste the Pop album versions!

Is the Audio available online for those without boots to trade?

Zoocoustic said:
Popmart Video is good but it is NOTHING compared to ZooTV Sydney video.

And Under A Blood Red Sky reigns supreme over both of them.

Zoocoustic said:
Popmart Video is good but it is NOTHING compared to ZooTV Sydney video.

Sounds like a totally unbiased opinion to me! Hmmm, wonder if there's a reason you're not called popcoustic? }; )~

goat

rivergoat said:

Sounds like a totally unbiased opinion to me! Hmmm, wonder if there's a reason you're not called popcoustic? }; )~

goat

I am the most partisan, biased, one-sided person in the world when it comes to anything from the Zoo era.

Nothing was, is, or ever will be able to touch the brilliance of 1991 - 1993. Ever. No matter what. End of story. Period.

Zoocoustic said:

I am the most partisan, biased, one-sided person in the world when it comes to anything from the Zoo era.

Nothing was, is, or ever will be able to touch the brilliance of 1991 - 1993. Ever. No matter what. End of story. Period.

Marry me, Zoocoustic.

Back
Top Bottom