Popmart Mexico '98 Vs. Elevation Slane '01

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Popmart Sau Paulo > Popmart Mexico > Slane

The Sau Paulo DVD floating around Bittorrent is just amazing, the performance of Mysterious Ways.....

I can't really decide since I never watch Popmart because it is on VHS and I can't be bothered with the quality. I usually just listen to the audio.

If we had Popmart on DVD it would be more pleasurable to watch and easier to rate.

I prefer Popmart setlist, but AIWIY>Streets is cool.

Zoomerang96 said:
i saw slane once, and i've never felt the need to buy it. the setlist was horrible. i don't care about the surroundings, give me popmart any day.

so what if it was goofy. that was the whole point.

plus the songs kick 10's of thousands of asses over the new tripe u2 was playing in 2001.

:up:

Slane blows

The shame is that popmart mexico haven´t been released in dvd yet , but the concert anyway is just terrific . It´s the best version of One ever , I just can´t find another that they played so well . Slane is fantastic , for its energy and all , but in terms of perfomance it loses to Popmart . The concerts in Europe and Latin America of Popmart were some of the bests .

MrBrau1 said:

:up: Screw the second class bells & whistles. Play songs.

second class?

if you're assuming there's bells and whistles in pop, i'd like them to be pointed out to me. pop, despite what many say, is a straight forward album with a little bit of glitz on top.

there is no peace on earth, there is no when i look at the world, there is no grace, there is no walk on, there is no stuck in a moment and thankfully, THANKFULLY there is no elevation.

songs are boring if you can't tell the difference between matchbox twenty, bon 7ovi or u2.

so in that sense, i agree. play good songs.

It's funny how the PopMart detractors are getting so hung-up on the imagery.

Whenever I listen to a U2 bootleg, I tend to skip the boring old standards (like "Pride") or the newer songs that don't work (like a lot of first-leg stuff...). Whenever I listen to an Elevation bootleg, I end up skipping half of it, so I stopped bothering.

PopMart easily. Although PopMart/Vertigo Stadium is a pretty close battle!

MrBrau1 said:
We're comparing 2 concert videos.

So of course we're talking about imagery.
Yeah, but it's still only part of the equation.

Everyone has something to say about the bubble pants, but did you dig the music or not?

Mexico by about 10000 country miles. Elevation tour was good in itself, but it was way too MOR for me. Popmart was at least, living on the edge a little. And the setlist was better (none of the atyclb crap - sorry.. had to get that in).

Mexico.. mofo.. mexcio mofo. Best opening to any U2 tour (maybe Zoo Station is close).

shart1780 said:
Which show do you prefer? I'm talking about the respective DVDs of course.

Being that Popmart isn't a DVD.........

and even if it was, Slane is just pure magic.

Oh, and the Sao Paulo PopMart MTV special is far, far better than the Mexico City concert.

Re: Re: Popmart Mexico '98 Vs. Elevation Slane '01

BigMacPhisto said:

Being that Popmart isn't a DVD.........

and even if it was, Slane is just pure magic.

Oh, and the Sao Paulo PopMart MTV special is far, far better than the Mexico City concert.

I'm a brazilian , and as much I would like to say that SP concert was better , well kind of was in terms of audience , energy , pretty much like slane , but in terms of perfomance itself mexico i think it's better a bit .

The "One " version of it like I said , its the best , the greatest version ever , you may not agree but if u grab a good mp3 of it u will see , and the other songs are good as well , a terrific NYD , one of the bests streets , the pop songs live sound as good as ever , the trilogy Pride - Still havent - AIWIY is just incredible , and well played as well , mexico is one of most underrated videos even though is one hell of perfomance.

Re: Re: Re: Popmart Mexico '98 Vs. Elevation Slane '01

J_NP said:

I'm a brazilian , and as much I would like to say that SP concert was better , well kind of was in terms of audience , energy , pretty much like slane , but in terms of perfomance itself mexico i think it's better a bit .

The "One " version of it like I said , its the best , the greatest version ever , you may not agree but if u grab a good mp3 of it u will see , and the other songs are good as well , a terrific NYD , one of the bests streets , the pop songs live sound as good as ever , the trilogy Pride - Still havent - AIWIY is just incredible , and well played as well , mexico is one of most underrated videos even though is one hell of perfomance.
There were some great performances from Mexico, but from the SP show, as soon as Edge kicks into the solo for Mysterious Ways - that is pure U2 euphoria, my friends. Brazillian girl beats out Eve in this case, I think. Though the Eve moment was much cuter.

Re: Re: Re: Popmart Mexico '98 Vs. Elevation Slane '01

J_NP said:

The "One " version of it like I said , its the best , the greatest version ever , you may not agree but if u grab a good mp3 of it u will see .

I definately agree, its the best version of "One " I've heard:drool: :up:

I don't know, the Popmart look is fun, but I love how Elevation had so much energy just because of the music, not gimmicks.

I love the Ellipse and everything (that said the heart shape was kind of removed for Slane) and the crowd energy, the homecomeing experience and the performance itself, it's Slane handsdown, it would be if the DVD only contained that awesome performance of Until the End of the World :drool:

powerhour24 said:
I don't know, the Popmart look is fun, but I love how Elevation had so much energy just because of the music, not gimmicks.\
Popmart saw some of the most powerful musical renditions U2 ever performed :huh:

I appreciate the big love-in that was Elevation, but at least Popmart still had a sense of wonder and suprise carried over from ZooTV.

Performance wise, slane was better, but i love the popmart setlists, and the giant screen, also it has the best version of one i've ever heard

It's not an option, but Popmart Santiago....best performance of the Popmart Tour in my opinion.

Between Mexico and Slane I'd have to choose Mexico easily. Slane is pretty overrated.

Let me add that Michael Hutchence died shortly before PopMart Mexico concert. Bono singing "And they will NEVER tear us apart" at the end of All I Want is You was spine tingling. It was one of the best U2 moments ever in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom