popmart mexico

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mackemlad

The Fly
Finally got round to watching this after buying a dvd off ebay.
This was obviously copied from vhs, quality is good but not brilliant.

I never really got POP as I have said on hear a few times, however I am now a great fan of this album and I wish I had caught one of the UK shows.

I thought New Years Day was excellent real hair on the neck moment when Bono gets Bruce to turn of all the lights.

It was fun to see the shocked look on Bono's face and the Edge laughing after his howler of a mistake during I Still Havent Found.
You can't hear it on the film as it was overdubbed but if you have ever heard the boot you will know what I mean!

Please then Streets is amazing its worth having this DVD for this alone. It shows how lame the Pride-Streets combo was during Vertigo.

One question though

What was Bono thinking of with the umbrella during Bullet.
Not one of his coolest moments

Overall very good.

Please U2 release it properly on DVD along
with the others not on DVD

mackemlad said:

Please then Streets is amazing its worth having this DVD for this alone. It shows how lame the Pride-Streets combo was during Vertigo.

so true, so true :drool:

i loooooove their boxing style entrance too

pop muzik -> mofo = :combust:

I love discotheque,

And Hold me thrill me kiss me kill me especially on the beginning that bono screams FUCK THIS -> then the guitars!!:drool:

what about last night on earth? the end of that song always makes me :combust:

Is this the BEST Please-Streets segue EVER?

Yes.

To answer the question regarding the umbrella -
It was a part of the whole Miami-Bullet segue, but when they dropped Miami for SBS (bad move IMO) this performance seemed to lose its desired effect.
Still a blinding version of Bullet though!!!

Shame about the guy with the laser pen!
What a dick!

U2mixer said:
Is this the BEST Please-Streets segue EVER?

Yes.

No.
In my totally biased opinion, the segue at the first Rotterdam concert (18 juli 1997, IIRC) was even better. :wink:

Popmartijn said:

No.
In my totally biased opinion, the segue at the first Rotterdam concert (18 juli 1997, IIRC) was even better. :wink:

I agree with everything that you say except the words ;)

My Dutch friend, I went there to see the band and you lot are unbelievable!!!
NEVER seen fans like the Ducth fans - you're all completely maaaaaaaaaad!

See you at the next World Cup!!!
Maybe in the final when we beat you ;)

Popmartijn said:

No.

Was that the one that was broadcasted to the rest of Europe?

Yes.
And those 2 songs (Please and Where The Streets Have No Name) were also released on the Popheart EP (together with Staring At The Sun, also from Rotterdam, and With Or Without You from Edmonton).

It was broadcast? Are there bootlegs of the broadcast? I've only ever found okay-ish audience recordings.

Only a few songs were broadcasted, the Please to With Or Without You section.
There are probably bootlegs of it (although I think the audience bootleg of that show: Popdream Believers is quite good too).

I taped on it on VHS back then :drool:

It was raining in Rotterdam, I remember.

U2Man said:
I taped on it on VHS back then :drool:

It was raining in Rotterdam, I remember.

I think it rained before the concert, but stopped almost the moment the band came on.
Yes, I was there!
:hyper:

*never saw himself in the video though*

Gaaah... now you make me want to watch the show EVEN MORE. I have the audio, but I haven't been able to find the VHS or DVD anywhere. Must. See. This. Now.

Popmart Mexico is fucking brilliant. It's unfortunate that so many of the critics will only remember Popmart for the Las Vegas opening, because (like all U2 tours, really) it just got better and better as it went along, and the Mexico City concert is a stunning example of how brilliant the tour really was. The Pop songs were so good live...really, really fucking good... (hint, hint).

The version you want on DVD is the one with the Black and White menu with the space baby in the background. That was created from a SVHS master of the complete showtime version of the show.

I wish they would have chopped Pride right out of the Mexico video. Bono's vocals are so glaringly awful, it makes the Baby Jesus cry.

Roland of Gilead said:
I'm so feckin' lame! I still haven't seen this show. :reject:

neither have I :reject:

RELEASE THIS DAMN SHOW AND ZOOTV ON DVD ALREADY!!!!

UNNECCESSARY CAPS !!!1one!1eleven

:sad: I need to find a copy of it... all the used record stores have gone out of business in Boston! :scream: I went to Saratoga NY and found JT, UF, and many many other records on vinyl :drool: but there's nowhere around here like that...

I just saw this for the first time a couple nights ago, from a VHS transfer, not great quality, but watchable. It's an amazing show without a doubt. If you haven't seen it, you need a copy of it.

Back
Top Bottom