Popmart DVD in April

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
AndrewCowley said:

We need an official DVD from The Unforgettable Fire tour. Imagine that... we'd get The Unforgettable Fire (the song itself), Wire, one of those really long versions of Bad, a version of Pride with energy (although the Vertigo 4th leg versions were awesome) etc...

Yes, yes, yes!!!! Please, UF DVD! With Indian Summer Sky as bonus!

DreamOutLoud13 said:

That was the point, love :wink:

And I need to properly fangirl over PopMart in this thread:

A dozen reasons why I love PopMart Mexico

1. MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOFO! :rockon: I love Bono jumping around and psyching the crowd up. And then that moment when he hits the middle eight, and finally lowers his hood, and as Bono put it, speaks to his mother in front of a crowd of fifty thousand of his closest friends. And of course the move me a mountain outtro, which is the only thing really missing from the album version.

2. Last Night on Earth :rockon: One of U2's hardest rock songs, and it was fantastic live. I love the duelling images of Edge and Bono on the big screen during the chorus. "You gotta give it aWAAAAY!", and of course the middle eight, "Mexico, Mexico, Mexico City, how did you get so high?"

3. The raw emotion during I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For. It's probably my favourite song of the concert. It always gets me when Bono's out by himself at the end of the b-stage, and he just leans back and sings "Lift us higher, Lord! Lift us higher, Lord!"

4. Never Tear Us Apart snippet at the end of All I Want Is You. Simply perfection.

5. Bono forgetting the lyrics of Desire, then trying to sing La Bamba and finally giving up :lmao:

6. Edge solo Sunday Bloody Sunday. An entirely new spin on a classic.

7. Please into Streets. Stunning. Bono on his knees, singing "Please, please, please", as the entire 150 foot screen bleeds to red and the Streets intro begins to fade in.

8. The LEMON!!!!! It's so funny when it begins rolling forward, and the entire crowd has the same "WTF" look on their face.

9. The entire B-stage set. Discotheque with the Life During Wartime snippet, the girl Bono pulls up for If You Wear That Velvet Dress, and the way he clings to her, stunning performance of With or Without You, and all the lights going off, turning the entire stadium into a night sky of flickering lighters (cell phones will never compare)

10. The way the crowd cheers when they see the MacPhisto logo, and then Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me brought to life. They so need to bring this one back.

11. One. I'm sick of this song, and very few versions of it are going to change my mind about that, but this performance gets me every time. Bono is in tears. You can see him blinking them back, and you can hear it in his voice. And the outtro is just beautiful.

12. And everything else I forgot to mention, like Bono's bad Spanish and overuse of the word "Mexico", and their outfits, and everything else I can't remember because I've been abstaining from watching the video for MONTHS because I knew it would be out on DVD eventually and I wanted a fresh impact when it finally came :hyper:

BEST.POST.EVER! :drool: :bow:

I'm so excited and hype that the U2 Popmart will finally be released on DVD. I would like to add that I always thought this was the best sounding concert ever. I remember when they aired the concert and released it on VHS ( I remember buying this at Best Buy) it said something about 64 bit/channel mixing??? Anyway, this concert always sounded breathtaking and will only sound better on DVD.

Camera capturing the "All I Want Is You" crowd explosion behind Bono...:drool: !!!

DreamOutLoud13 said:

That was the point, love :wink

And I need to properly fangirl over PopMart in this thread:

A dozen reasons why I love PopMart Mexico

1. MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOFO! :rockon I love Bono jumping around and psyching the crowd up. And then that moment when he hits the middle eight, and finally lowers his hood, and as Bono put it, speaks to his mother in front of a crowd of fifty thousand of his closest friends. And of course the move me a mountain outtro, which is the only thing really missing from the album version.

2. Last Night on Earth :rockon One of U2's hardest rock songs, and it was fantastic live. I love the duelling images of Edge and Bono on the big screen during the chorus. "You gotta give it aWAAAAY!", and of course the middle eight, "Mexico, Mexico, Mexico City, how did you get so high?"

3. The raw emotion during I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For. It's probably my favourite song of the concert. It always gets me when Bono's out by himself at the end of the b-stage, and he just leans back and sings "Lift us higher, Lord! Lift us higher, Lord!"

4. Never Tear Us Apart snippet at the end of All I Want Is You. Simply perfection.

5. Bono forgetting the lyrics of Desire, then trying to sing La Bamba and finally giving up :lmao

6. Edge solo Sunday Bloody Sunday. An entirely new spin on a classic.

7. Please into Streets. Stunning. Bono on his knees, singing "Please, please, please", as the entire 150 foot screen bleeds to red and the Streets intro begins to fade in.

8. The LEMON!!!!! It's so funny when it begins rolling forward, and the entire crowd has the same "WTF" look on their face.

9. The entire B-stage set. Discotheque with the Life During Wartime snippet, the girl Bono pulls up for If You Wear That Velvet Dress, and the way he clings to her, stunning performance of With or Without You, and all the lights going off, turning the entire stadium into a night sky of flickering lighters (cell phones will never compare)

10. The way the crowd cheers when they see the MacPhisto logo, and then Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me brought to life. They so need to bring this one back.

11. One. I'm sick of this song, and very few versions of it are going to change my mind about that, but this performance gets me every time. Bono is in tears. You can see him blinking them back, and you can hear it in his voice. And the outtro is just beautiful.

12. And everything else I forgot to mention, like Bono's bad Spanish and overuse of the word "Mexico", and their outfits, and everything else I can't remember because I've been abstaining from watching the video for MONTHS because I knew it would be out on DVD eventually and I wanted a fresh impact when it finally came :hyper

:drool: I love you DOL, :bow: :love: :combust:

but I think the Desire moment was actually that he and Edge were trying to outplay each other... you can hear it when Bono starts, he says ' try this Edge' ... and Edge plays faster and faster... :cute: and we all know Bono only wears guitar... so he had to give up...

:shifty: you forgot one reason... It's called the Bono Man sleeveless shirt.....:sexywink: SATS!

:hyper: I can't wait for this!!!

To "Bono Wearing The Guitar" fans, he actually plays the SATS intro in the Mexico City show. You can clearly see it, as my buddy (who plays the guitar) was giving Bono some props for playing it when he saw it.

The Popmart brought out the best in everyone!!!

Just found this, Bono shredding in Johannesburg lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8vkrQfxu_w

Last edited:
I like when he just picks up guitars in interviews and starts to play while singing. He sounds fine! You don't need to be an Edge, especially when you already have one in your band. :wink:

zoopop said:
To "Bono Wearing The Guitar" fans, he actually plays the SATS intro in the Mexico City show. You can clearly see it, as my buddy (who plays the guitar) was giving Bono some props for playing it when he saw it.

The Popmart brought out the best in everyone!!!

Just found this, Bono shredding in Johannesburg lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8vkrQfxu_w

you know, we are only kidding :wink:

I know Bono plays guitar on a few songs, and I've listened to enough to recognize his chords in One and most other songs... but it's just sort of a running joke here because many people don't hear him.... and because sometimes he still has his guitar on, and sings the whole song without playing... example? Instant karma from Portland... he even gets his guitar switched for another Gretsch Irish Falcon, and doesn't play it at all! in the end he takes the mic and moves around the stage, guitar still attached :wink:

my only hope for the release is that the sound quality is infinitely superior to that on ZOO TV di vi di.
To say its pish is an understatement. If there is extras on it, I reckon it could well be from the Sarajevo gig. Would love to see Miami make it in somewhere as, for me, it was one of the high points of the gig.

The thing is Bono does play acoustic guitar , SATS is a proof , but he does not play electric .......... Okay very few parts of Fly , but the rest he just play one chord stops , 20 seconds after another chord , he just does not keep playing . Don't know if he could hold in his own an entire song with electric

Galeongirl said:
you know, we are only kidding :wink:

I know Bono plays guitar on a few songs, and I've listened to enough to recognize his chords in One and most other songs... but it's just sort of a running joke here because many people don't hear him.... and because sometimes he still has his guitar on, and sings the whole song without playing... example? Instant karma from Portland... he even gets his guitar switched for another Gretsch Irish Falcon, and doesn't play it at all! in the end he takes the mic and moves around the stage, guitar still attached :wink:
I think it's cute to watch him "wearing" guitar :cute: Sometimes he just gets so into the song that he forgets to play. It's also fun to count how many picks he drops :shh:

DreamOutLoud13 said:

I think it's cute to watch him "wearing" guitar :cute: Sometimes he just gets so into the song that he forgets to play. It's also fun to count how many picks he drops :shh:

:ohmy: rly? I never paid attention to that...

:shifty: But I do know his Elevation mic stand held about six orange pics...

Great news!! A Popmart DVD!! So soon after the amazing Zoo TV aswell. It will be great to have this on DVD and if it has DTS sound like ZOO TV did then it'll be amazing.
For the extra's i wouldn't mind seeing Miami and Do You Feel Loved? i think somehow though they will probably include miss sarajevo from Sarajevo.
Also i don't think U2.com will be giving away the Mexico gig on cd to subscribers next year as they already did that in 2000. I know they don't really have much imagination when it comes to the subscribers gift but i can't see it.
If i could choose id want them to give away the ZOO TV special on DVD. Now that would be a gift worth having. Probably gain them a few more subscribers to.

gump said:

Yes, yes, yes!!!! Please, UF DVD! With Indian Summer Sky as bonus!

as nice as that would be, i don't believe any UF show was completely filmed start to finish.

Bits of pro-shot Dortmund, Croke park, MSG are out there, but a start-to-finish pro filmed show ?

Popmartijn said:

As with the release of the Zoo TV DVD, I hope they keep the original aspect ratio. Yes, that means it's also a 4:3 DVD, but that's the way it was shot then. By changing it to 16:9 you're gonna lose some information on the video.

So original aspect ratio please!

Yeah, but the message of PopMart was that "size matters." Be big, be bold, and put a 50-story television screen behind the band... that whole deal. They may have to edit out the band members' feet in some shots, but 16:9 would be SO much better.

Galeongirl said:
:ohmy: rly? I never paid attention to that...

:shifty: But I do know his Elevation mic stand held about six orange pics...
Next time you watch Slane, pay attention to Bono's picks during the last two songs. At the beginning of One, there are three picks in the stand, and 1 in his hand. By the beginning of Walk On, there's only one left in the stand, and one in his hand. And then he ditches his guitar completely, but when he gets it back, I'm pretty sure the tech hands him yet another pick. By the end of Walk On, there's still only one left in the stand.

A sort of pointless observation, but funny nontheless. In my imagination, if Bono played guitar throughout the whole show, the stage would be so riddled with picks afterward that they'd have to sweep them up with a push broom :tongue:

I keep wondering about the packaging. Will it have the holographic foil of the VHS version...or a new "modern" twist...

Back
Top Bottom