Pop vs. ATYCLB

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Pop and ATYCLB are very good albums respectively, but I think Pop is more fun to listen to and was more fresh to listen too compared to ATCYLB. Both albums have new classics on them (Beautiful Day, IGWSHA, Elevation, Walk On, Gone, Discotheque), but you get more bang for your buck w/ Pop than w/ ATCYLB. They just have very different vibes about them too: Pop continuing the obscurity and media overload of Zoo TV and ATCYLB reachin back for the early 80s stripped down basic feel to them, and they both work. When I judge the albums i do it on song "listenability" and Pop has more songs like that IMO. So, Pop rules supreme in this category by a fairly slim margin

"it seems on Interference, ATYCLB is hated and Pop is loved, but in the general public it's visa versa"

The general public just follows the herd.

I don't know about the rest of the world but here in the US, at least initially, the album reviews were strong, but the Discotheque video was a little too over the top.. and that started the "backlash".

Then both the album and tour were hyped far beyond reasonable expectations, so when the album didn't sell 700,000 copies the first week and when they didn't sell out a stadium, the media just started piling on about how U2 had gone astray.

Total nonsense, of course, but perception is stronger than reality.

Also, other than "Staring At the Sun", the songs weren't radio friendly in that they didn't really nicely fit into any one mainstream format. And by the time SATS came out, the public had already decided the album was a bust.

Anyways, that's my condensed version on why the perception existed in the mainstream that POP was somehow an inferior U2 album. Yet everyone I know liked IGWSHA when they heard it on the "City of Angels" soundtrack and everyone knows SATS.

I personally can't understand why anyone would not like an album with "Gone" and "Please" as well as "Staring At The Sun", IGWSHA and LNOE.. but that's just me.

I would swear I get the vibe there are some U2 fans who don't like it simply because it didn't go triple platinum or whatever. I hope I'm wrong about that.

I also don't understand why the band defend the album saying it was a great piece of work (I agree) and was quite a success outside the US, but then make excuses for why it wasn't great. Which is it?

Oh, and "Gone" should have at least been released to radio. That song is too good not to get some play.

And POPMart St. Louis was the best concert I've ever attended.

End of ramble.

I feel better now that I've gotten all that out.

Last edited:
Numbology said:
Hey UK Tan,could you please send me the copy with Jools?i've been looking for it for ages:(

pleeeeease:drool:

dfx303@yahoo.com

Hi Numbology,

Sorry, only just saw this post. I'm sending you a link to d/l from if you're still after this song. If you already got it (since I'm slow :)) then just delete the email

Edited to add:

Sending it via yousendit.com, just so's you know what email to look out for :)

Cheers
Tanya

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom