Pop vs. ATYCLB

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
there is something on the general mood of pop that makes me depressive. and its not MOFO, GONE, MIAMI and THE PLAYBOY MANSION...these songs are just great. the songs that don't find a smooth way into my auditory canal are DISCOTHEQUE, DYFL, IGWSHA, SATS & LNOE. almost i can feel the EVIL in these songs. :macdevil:
maybe i should consult a psychoanalyst???:sexywink:

ATYCLB is not withstanding the test of time, in my opinion. It has some great songs on it but I am beginning to agree with some posters that it sounds like U2 are trying too hard. No, U2 does not return to Joshua Tree on the album, and their sound definitely has matured...but Pop, even if it was an underwhelming (because it was unfinished) album, was fantastic because it kept pushing U2 in new directions. It was dark and introspective, and lyrically superior to anything on ATYCLB. Can anything in their 2000 album compare to...Gone for instance? No. Not with lines like:
"Grace, it's the name for a girl
It's also a thought that could change the world"

:barf:

Come on, Bono! We can all remember the subtlety of other songs, like Until the End of the World. I mean what if Bono, during the song, sang the lyric,

"I reached out for the one I tried to destroy...and I am referring to Jesus!"

or Pride:

"Free at last! They took your life, but they could not take your pride, Mr. Martin Luther King!"

I mean we don't need it spelled out. It seems Bono's lyrics just got 'obvious' on the last album. How much cooler would the song Grace have been had he just sung about her like she was a girl, just as he sang about the holy spirit in Mysterious Ways as if it were a woman? Bono, 99 percent of the time, you are the man. Grace was part of that 1 percent.

Here's hoping for HTDAAB.

Miggy D said:
ATYCLB is not withstanding the test of time, in my opinion. It has some great songs on it but I am beginning to agree with some posters that it sounds like U2 are trying too hard. No, U2 does not return to Joshua Tree on the album, and their sound definitely has matured...but Pop, even if it was an underwhelming (because it was unfinished) album, was fantastic because it kept pushing U2 in new directions.
I don't see the logic in this part
with the rest of your post I just don't agree :wink:

my point though is that going in new directions has nothing to do with how much an album is able to sound outdated
when you listen to an album 10 years later you don't here that a band was going in new directions back then
it's something you can muse and ponder upon but it has no influence on the actual music on the actual album

I think history would even show that albums where a band tried to introduce new sounds have a tendency to sound outdated sooner because these new sounds will be surpassed with even newer sounds

or something :wink:

ATYCLB any time.

Pop is very uneven as an album - only 6 songs really work for me, and Staring at the sun - Oasis influence, anyone? - and Gone are clearly the best songs, and even those two aren't great by their standards. Too much bleeps and samples and they forgot about the SONGS - possibly the biggest irony is that the most straight forward rock songs are the best, and only 3 or 4 songs are really dance influenced. The sound of the band is just awkward many times, it's like they tried to be cool too hard (and trying to top AB and Zoo TV later on, which didn't work).
Like others have said, Miami. (possibly Bono's worst lyrics ever, not to mention "it's the blond leading the blind, it's the stuff of country songs" part, Do you feel loved is something that Even better than the real thing did much better, Last night on earth tries to evoke Until the end of the world but fails. U2 had many better ballads than IGWSHA, too.) Also, IMO Bono's weakest album as far as singing goes, he sounds weak and tired.

Now, ATYCLB is, with its nature of singles material - unfortunately the tracklisting shoves up all the singles in the first half which doesn't help either - also uneven but not as much. Beautiful day, Kite, Stuck in a moment and In a little while shows U2 at its best since AB, and can hold their own ground against older U2 classics well. Clearly the band was inspired by the rise of pop in the charts, and some of the results are great. I like the sound of the album a lot, though I will say the music to POE is something that hasn't won me over and WILATW seems to be indecided between pop sound (keyboards) and rock (the screaming guitar).
Elevation and Walk on, while both being hits, were IMO a bit overrated. (why weren't Kite and IALW singles instead?) Much as people like to pick on Wild honey, it accomplishes it's task as an attempt at a pop song perfectly. I don't always listen to WILATW or Grace, but I do like the lyrics to POE and New York. Even though it's "back to basics" album, there isn't really much stuff that sounds like the 80's U2 (except Walk on and verses in New York, and the "teach me" riff) - there's 5 songs that sound unlike anything they ever did before (BD, Stuck, IALW, WH, Grace), so it's not really like they didn't do anything new. While it's true Bono's voice isn't what it used to be, this time at least he goes for some of high notes again ( :bow: to Kite) and sings with passion that wasn't present on previous two albums - except maybe Stay on Zooropa.
8/9 songs work for me.

Wow. I'm very surprised so many people think Pop is better than ATYCLB.

I thought I was the only one!

Pop is my favourite album ever.

But having said that, I think it would have benefited from more time in the studio.

I think the single versions of Please and IGWSHA were way better than the album versions. I burnt a CD that replaces the album tracks with the single versions, and they really lift the whole album.

Also, I think Mofo sounds much fuller live than it does on the LP.

But I love Velvet Dress, Miami and Playboy Mansion, which a lot of people think sound unfinished.

I really didn’t like ATYCLB when I first heard it. I wanted to love it but I couldn’t. I think it is by far their worst album, even though some of the tracks are not entirely horrible.

Last edited:
'Pop' is the record for me, I don't have anything against ATYCLB, it's a pleasant enough record. But to me that's it's problem, it's just too pleasant. I also feel some of the lyrics are some of Bono's weakest. Just a preference, I prefer when things are a bit darker musically and lyrically.

'Pop' is more to my taste, dark and intense, even the ballads have a dark under tone to the IFWSHA to name one. also the lyrics are some of the best written by Bono, it's the first record where Bono and Edge wrote the lyrics together for the full thing and it proved very fruitful indeed. Just a great and very under-rated album.

I think that ATYCLB is third U2 masterpiece,alost every song is great.Pop is good album,lyrics are wonderful but music isn*t excellent...too much dance,rave...and other music influences.

All in all I can say U2 found way out from dark tunnell, with ATYCLB

Lo-Fi said:
'Pop' is the record for me, I don't have anything against ATYCLB, it's a pleasant enough record. But to me that's it's problem, it's just too pleasant. I also feel some of the lyrics are some of Bono's weakest. Just a preference, I prefer when things are a bit darker musically and lyrically.

Exactly. I feel the same concerning both albums.

MT

I'm very surprised by the amount of support POP is getting too! You read everywhere how POP was this big mistake and all the fans hated it. Then ATYCLB came out and it was this 'return to form.' POP is far better - just less popular with the general public.

It's like U2Kitten said, most fans felt POP wasn't really that good and loved ATYCLB.
It's only the vocal minority that adores POP, it seems.

U2girl said:
It's like U2Kitten said, most fans felt POP wasn't really that good and loved ATYCLB.
It's only the vocal minority that adores POP, it seems.

They are different LP's. They come from different places. The band was in a different spot mentally during the making of the LP's. I love both of them.

You wouldn't choose one of your kids over the other right?

The styles are totally different it up to the listeners preference.

The Edge said:

They are different LP's. They come from different places. The band was in a different spot mentally during the making of the LP's. I love both of them.

You wouldn't choose one of your kids over the other right?

The styles are totally different it up to the listeners preference.

Ok thats just wierd. You reading my mind or something?

kellyahern said:
POP was the last U2 album I bought (becoming a rabid fan in 2001, I had a lot of material to go through :) ).

I left it for last because of the negative things I had read or heard about it, but once I listened to it I loved it! :)

What negative things about Pop? :wink:

Seriously though, that is my favorite U2 album. It always has been. Why does it have such a bad reputation?

Back
Top Bottom