pop vs. atyclb

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Discotheque V Beautiful Day….. BEAUTIFUL DAY
DTFL V Stuck In a Moment… It's Close but...STUCK IN A MOMENT
Mofo V Elevation.. MOFO
IGWSHA V Walk on…Two of my least favourite U2 songs but as it’s the lesser of 2 evils…IF GOD WILL SEND HIS ANGELS
Staring At The Sun V Kite…..STARING AT THE SUN
Last Night on Earth V In a Little While….IN A LITTLE WHILE
Gone V Wild Honey….GONE
Miami V Peace On Earth……MIAMI
Playboy Mansion V When I look at the world….WHEN I LOOK AT THE WORLD
If you wear that velvet Dress V New York……Again tough but….NEW YORK
Please V Grace……PLEASE
Wake Up Dead Man V The Ground Beneath Her Feet….Toughest of all as they're 2 of my fave U2 songs, but WAKE UP DEAD MAN just pips it.

So that's 7-5 to POP

Zootlesque said:
But my point is, to say that "ATYCLB is superior in so many ways that I can't see how anyone could think POP even gets close" is pretty much disregarding everyone's opinion and stating one's own opinion as fact.
I am just stating that I can't see it
I am sure your opinion is as valid as mine is, I don't need to understand your opinion though
and I expressed I think Do you feel loved is a track I love btw
Stuck is just better

LemonMelon said:
One more thing: If Marvin Gaye wrote songs like Stuck In A Moment on a regular basis, I would hate Marvin Gaye.
if Marvin Gaye would have written Do you feel loved on a regular basis I also don't think he would have gotten a legendary status

I don't care if no one would agree with me to be honest
I'm quite happy living in my own musical bubble

but to have to read trite like U2 disowning POP (while they seem to just talk about as every other album they did), ATYCLB not feeling like an album but a collection of songs (would be fair enough if not when comparing it to POP which is as cohesive in form as lumpy gravy) etc does make me feel quite tired

:hmm: Of course, saying something like "Pop is superior in so many ways that I can't see how anyone could think ATYCLB even gets close" would not be seen as disregarding anyone (most definitely NOT everyone's) else's opinion and no one would bat an eyelid over that.

But once you consider ATYCLB better...some opinions are more equal than others.

You know, when Pop first came out I hated it. I am old school U2 and I was so disappointed that U2 had gone 'electronic' on me I listened to it twice and it went in the cd rack never to come out again until years later. When ATYCLB was released, I listened to it a few times and thought, oh well, middle of the road - a few good tracks but not really that great.

Fast forward to around the middle of last year and I was putting my U2 collection on my iPod and started listening to Pop and I thought, "Holy shit. What the hell did I miss here, this album is actually really good. There are still one or two tracks I think "hmm" but overall I've actually come to really appreciate what they were trying to do and can now listen to the album very easily.

ATYCLB, although I still love tracks like Beautiful Day, Kite, New York, In A Little While & to some degree Elevation, it is still not one of those albums I can put on and listen to all the way through without skipping a track.

I think for me Pop is better than ATYCLB (overall) because Pop, as an album, takes you (or me, lol) away from the humdrum everyday world, while ATYCLB always stays rooted in that world. Not that that's a bad thing - ATYCLB celebrates everyday things, and I like that. But Pop just seems more interesting to me.

Last edited:
U2girl said:
:hmm: Of course, saying something like "Pop is superior in so many ways that I can't see how anyone could think ATYCLB even gets close" would not be seen as disregarding anyone (most definitely NOT everyone's) else's opinion and no one would bat an eyelid over that.

:lol:

What makes you say this? Why do you always make it look like there are a lot more Pop lovers in this forum compared to ATYCLB lovers? I don't think that's the case. I think Pop has fewer supporters.

This thread needs to be a poll. :hmm:

Zootlesque said:

:lol:

What makes you say this? Why do you always make it look like there are a lot more Pop lovers in this forum compared to ATYCLB lovers? I don't think that's the case. I think Pop has fewer supporters.

This thread needs to be a poll. :hmm:

The problem is not the Pop lovers, or the ATYCLB lovers. It's those that believe it somehow has to one or the other.

There are those that bash the 00's and bow down to the Pop. And there are those that hate Pop and think the 00's is the second coming.

Well, neither group has anything to stand on.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

The problem is not the Pop lovers, or the ATYCLB lovers. It's those that believe it somehow has to one or the other.

There are those that bash the 00's and bow down to the Pop. And there are those that hate Pop and think the 00's is the second coming.

Well, neither group has anything to stand on.

true.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom