pop vs. atyclb

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I keep wondering how much fun would be to let loose these kids ....

U2man , Zootlesque , lancemc , Axver , and others I'm forgetting

Playing one of these games Delta Force , Quake , CounterStriker whatever ..... In that mode "Kill 'em all"

Man talk bout some serious fun :lol:

Axver said:

:lmao: Let's say we're both nuts and call it even. After all, you have to be nuts to have thousands of posts on a U2 fan forum, don't you? :wink:

Fair deal. :wink:

Beautiful Day
Elevation
Walk On
Stuck In A Moment
Electrical Storm
Summer Rain
Kite
In A Little While
New York
When I Look At The World
The Ground Beneath Her Feet
Levitate

:drool: Now thats a fucking album

nearly all the songs you mentioned have some melody somewhere, if not in the chorus then in the rest of the verses (bd). and its definitely not just screaming.

the only thing i like about lnoe is the bridge.

Lancemc said:

Fair deal. :wink:

You would of course say that, as it makes me about seven times as nuts as you going by post count!

... though I readily acknowledge my insanity. :wink:

U2Man said:
nearly all the songs you mentioned have some melody somewhere, if not in the chorus then in the rest of the verses (bd). and its definitely not just screaming.

the only thing i like about lnoe is the bridge.

LNOE, screaming? I think we need to get you some metal. :wink:

LNOE is positively melodic compared to some of the stuff I listen to. And I've always found its chorus to be soaring. :shrug:

Plus, give LNOE some credit: the live version gave us the hilarity of Bono snippeting Material Girl. On more than one occasion!

bono screams so much that you can hardly hear what he is trying to say.

most of metallicas material is more melodic than lnoe.

U2Man said:
pop has songs such as discotheque, mofo, if god will send his angels, last night on earth, playboy mansion and miami that just arent very interesting. sorry, but thats half the record.

Aren't very interesting??? :shocked:

Discotheque & Mofo kick some solid ass musically. Granted, Discotheque isn't all that much to write home about in the lyrics department (although I don't think they're awful), it's one hell of a romp starting from the swirling Edge intro to the rockin' boomchas! :rockon: And Mofo is like U2 doing The Prodigy but in their own awesome way with great confessional lyrics to match! Not to mention... Live, Edge takes it to a totally different level! :combust: IGWSHA has amazing lyrics throughout and some pretty decent music.. great bass. LNOE has an uber cool intro with the false start and features fantastic bass from start to finish. The lyrics are not that bad either. I don't see one line that's cheesy or bad in the lyrics. Miami just fucking kicks ass. From that offbeat drum/bass intro to the wicked Edge guitar to the "Levee Breaks" drums towards the end of the song, it is probably the most bad ass song they ever made! The Playboy Mansion, granted has a somewhat clunky intro with the dated lyrics but soon turns into a beautiful laid back groove with timeless lyrics by Bono.. "then will there be no time for sorrow"

How is all of this not interesting??? To each his/her own.

U2Man said:
bono screams so much that you can hardly hear what he is trying to say.

Are you talking about Pride? :wink:

most of metallicas material is more melodic than lnoe.

Yeah, but I don't like thrash metal.

How about some Isis or jesu? No, I don't think anyone on these forums listens to sludge metal or drone doom. Ah well.

Zootlesque said:

Aren't very interesting??? :shocked:

Discotheque & Mofo kick some solid ass musically. Granted, Discotheque isn't all that much to write home about in the lyrics department (although I don't think they're awful), it's one hell of a romp starting from the swirling Edge intro to the rockin' boomchas! :rockon: And Mofo is like U2 doing The Prodigy but in their own awesome way with great confessional lyrics to match! Not to mention... Live, Edge takes it to a totally different level! :combust: IGWSHA has amazing lyrics throughout and some pretty decent music.. great bass. LNOE has an uber cool intro with the false start and features fantastic bass from start to finish. The lyrics are not that bad either. I don't see one line that's cheesy or bad in the lyrics. Miami just fucking kicks ass. From that offbeat drum/bass intro to the wicked Edge guitar to the "Levee Breaks" drums towards the end of the song, it is probably the most bad ass song they ever made! The Playboy Mansion, granted has a somewhat clunky intro with the dated lyrics but soon turns into a beautiful laid back groove with timeless lyrics by Bono.. "then will there be no time for sorrow"

How is all of this not interesting??? To each his/her own.

mind you, i didnt say they were all bad or not enjoyable.

Axver said:

Are you talking about Pride? :wink:

Yeah, but I don't like thrash metal.

How about some Isis or jesu? No, I don't think anyone on these forums listens to sludge metal or drone doom. Ah well.

if something called thrash metal is more melodic than the song you write, there's something wrong with that song.

I wouldn't go as far as to say LNOE isn't melodic...it's more like the melodies just blow.

U2Man said:
mind you, i didnt say they were all bad or not enjoyable.

But how can you call what is probably the most or second most interesting album in U2's catalog, not that interesting?

Have they ever done something like Mofo?
Have they ever done something like Velvet Dress?
Have they ever done something like Miami?
Have they ever done something like Discotheque?
Have they ever done something like Gone?

None of it sounds like anything on even Achtung or Zooropa, let alone their 80s albums!

Actually ATYCLB is the same way. It's very interesting because it's so un-U2. Musically, it's somewhere none of us expected them to go. Who knew they would do something as self-help ish as Stuck. Or something as pretty as Wild Honey? Too bad, the lyrics aren't fully upto par and The Edge doesn't have any jaw dropping licks (IMO) cos otherwise I would consider it a masterpiece without a doubt.

Beautiful Day - Just
Do You Feel Loved
Mofo - by an arse kicking like you've never seen.
If God Will Send/Walk On - one point each.
Staring at the Sun - just
In A Little While
Gone
Miami
Playboy Mansion
Velvet Dress.
Please.
Ground Beneath

ATYCLB - 4
POP - 9

I'd actually say Bono's lyrics on ATYCLB are better than most people give him credit for. It seems like those who don't really like the lyrics there, feel that way because of how direct they are, a completely change in style for Bono. But given the theme and musical direction of the album, I think they fit beautifully. A song like In A Little While is completely different from anything from Joshua Tree or Pop, but given the musical style of that particular song, the lyrics are simply perfect. I didn't really explain that well, but there's a reason I like ATYCLB's lyrics just as much as other albums.

And I think Edge's guitar work is just as good if not better than past albums as well. The distinct difference is it's much more subtle than usual, and that's saying something. I think there are plenty of amazing licks though (see Elevation, Walk On, Kite slide guitar, In a Little While, Peace On Earth, When I look at the World...)

Lancemc said:
It seems like those who don't really like the lyrics there, feel that way because of how direct they are, a completely change in style for Bono.

That wouldn't apply to me. I just think they're some of the shittest, most dreadful, cliched, lame lyrics I have ever heard in my life. I don't care at all if they're direct. Come on, WUDM is pretty direct about its subject matter and I adore its lyrics. ATYCLB in general just seems to lack any thought. WILATW and Grace are the only songs that really stand out to me as strong lyrically.

Axver said:
I just think they're some of the shittest, most dreadful, cliched, lame lyrics I have ever heard in my life.

And yet you see nothing wrong with Kite's horrible fragrant/basement line? I tell you we are all a bunch of odd balls! :wink:

I'll take a stab at this

1- Beautiful Day vs. Discoteque = Beautiful Day

2- DYFL vs. Stuck = DYFL

3- Mofo vs. Elevation = Mofo

4- IGWSHA vs. Walk On = IGWSHA

5- SATS vs. Kite = SATS

what is so great about Kite? It's an ok song but it's not deserving all the love it get's here.

6- LNOE vs. IALW = LNOE

7- Gone vs. Wild Honey = Gone

8- Miami vs. Peace on E = Peace on Earth

9- Playboy vs. WILATW = WILATW

10- Velvet Dress vs. New York = New York

11- Please vs. Grace = Please

12- Wake up vs. Ground = Wake Up

ATYCLB=4 POP=8

Beautiful Day
Stuck In A Moment (just)
Mofo
Walk On (by a hair)
Kite (again, by a hair)
Last Night On Earth
Gone
Miami
When I Look At The World
New York
Please
The Ground Beneath Her Feet (just)

ATYCLB 7
Pop 5

Zootlesque said:

And yet you see nothing wrong with Kite's horrible fragrant/basement line? I tell you we are all a bunch of odd balls! :wink:

Seriously, what's wrong with that? It's one of the better lyrics on the album (that, of course, being a very relative statement, heh). It's miles better than crap like "a mole digging in a hole", "it's a beautiful day, don't let it get away", and "you're stuck in a moment and you can't get out of it".

Just to create more debate... :corn:

Questionable Lyrics on:

ATYCLB

Elevation
I and I in the sky - WTF does that even mean???

Not to mention the lame rhymes...
I and I in the sky
You make me feel like I can fly
So high

Walk On
And I know it aches
How your heart it breaks
You can only take so much

Can you say cheesy?

Kite
The whole damn song! The lyrics are too direct...

I'm not afraid to die
I'm not afraid to live
And when I'm flat on my back
I hope to feel like I did

I'm a man
I'm not a child

Anybody can write this stuff. Not to mention that outro...

Did I waste it
Not so much I couldn't taste it
Life should be fragrant
Rooftop to the basement
The last of the rock stars
When hip hop drove the big cars
In the time when new media
Was the big idea
That was the big idea

In A Little While
The lyrics are so bland...

In a little while
Surely you'll be mine
In a little while I'll be there :huh:

If I crawl, if I come crawling home
Will you.... be there

And this part...

That girl, that girl
She's mine
And I've know her since
Since you were a little girl
With Spanish eyes
Oh, when I saw her
In a pram they pushed her by
My, how you've grown
Well it's been
It's been a little while

Cheeeeeeeeeeeeesy!

Wild Honey
In the days
When we were swinging from the trees
I was a monkey
Stealing honey from a swarm of bees :huh:
I could taste
I could taste you even then
And I would chase you down the wind

A WTF line combined with the most sugary cheese ever! :yuck:

New York
They got the airport, city hall
Asphalt, asphalt :huh:
They even got the police

Grace
OMG rhyming train wreck! walk/chalk/talk, blame/shame, lips/hips/skips/fingertips...

POP

Discotheque
You know you're chewing bubblegum
You know what that is
But you still want some
You just can't get enough
Of that lovie dovie stuff

Yeah that was a weird one, although it's supposed to be a commentary on chewing on the bubblegum that is popular culture! :shrug:

Mofo
Got the swing got the sway got my straw in lemonade

Okay, that's a little bit of a WTF

SATS
There's an insect in your ear
If you scratch it won't disappear
It's going to itch and burn and sting
You want to see what the scratching brings

I don't know what he's talking about here.

Miami
ok so the "my mammy" part is a bit of a WTF but the music soooooooo compensates for it!

PM
If Coke is a mystery
Michael Jackson...History

WUDM
Is it like a tape recorder?
Can we rewind it just once more
Some people object to those lines but honestly I don't mind them.

That's it, in my opinion. ATYCLB has far worse lyrics overall!

I don't get your objection to some lyrics just because they rhyme.

Most of the ones you posted are pretty shit though. Except for that WUDM line. I've never heard of anyone having a problem with that lyric.

Zootlesque said:
Just to create more debate... :corn:

Questionable Lyrics on:

ATYCLB

Elevation
I and I in the sky - WTF does that even mean???

Not to mention the lame rhymes...
I and I in the sky
You make me feel like I can fly
So high

Walk On
And I know it aches
How your heart it breaks
You can only take so much

Can you say cheesy?

Kite
The whole damn song! The lyrics are too direct...

I'm not afraid to die
I'm not afraid to live
And when I'm flat on my back
I hope to feel like I did

I'm a man
I'm not a child

Anybody can write this stuff. Not to mention that outro...

Did I waste it
Not so much I couldn't taste it
Life should be fragrant
Rooftop to the basement
The last of the rock stars
When hip hop drove the big cars
In the time when new media
Was the big idea
That was the big idea

In A Little While
The lyrics are so bland...

In a little while
Surely you'll be mine
In a little while I'll be there :huh:

If I crawl, if I come crawling home
Will you.... be there

And this part...

That girl, that girl
She's mine
And I've know her since
Since you were a little girl
With Spanish eyes
Oh, when I saw her
In a pram they pushed her by
My, how you've grown
Well it's been
It's been a little while

Cheeeeeeeeeeeeesy!

Wild Honey
In the days
When we were swinging from the trees
I was a monkey
Stealing honey from a swarm of bees :huh:
I could taste
I could taste you even then
And I would chase you down the wind

A WTF line combined with the most sugary cheese ever! :yuck:

New York
They got the airport, city hall
Asphalt, asphalt :huh:
They even got the police

Grace
OMG rhyming train wreck! walk/chalk/talk, blame/shame, lips/hips/skips/fingertips...

POP

Discotheque
You know you're chewing bubblegum
You know what that is
But you still want some
You just can't get enough
Of that lovie dovie stuff

Yeah that was a weird one, although it's supposed to be a commentary on chewing on the bubblegum that is popular culture! :shrug:

Mofo
Got the swing got the sway got my straw in lemonade

Okay, that's a little bit of a WTF

SATS
There's an insect in your ear
If you scratch it won't disappear
It's going to itch and burn and sting
You want to see what the scratching brings

I don't know what he's talking about here.

Miami
ok so the "my mammy" part is a bit of a WTF but the music soooooooo compensates for it!

PM
If Coke is a mystery
Michael Jackson...History

WUDM
Is it like a tape recorder?
Can we rewind it just once more
Some people object to those lines but honestly I don't mind them.

That's it, in my opinion. ATYCLB has far worse lyrics overall!

:up: Agree on some things, disagree on others...
a mole digging in a hole :yuck:

Oh and while kite lyrics might be "too direct" and whatnot the songs is still awesome:drool:

Last edited:
Oh, but "I and I" isn't so nonsensical.

Wikipedia's explanation, from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rastafarian_vocabulary

I and I is a complex term, referring to the oneness of Jah (God) and every human. Rastafarian scholar E. E. Cashmore: "I and I is an expression to totalize the concept of oneness, the oneness of two persons. So God is within all of us and we're one people in fact. I and I means that God is in all men. The bond of Ras Tafari is the bond of God, of man. But man itself needs a head and the head of man is His Imperial Majesty Haile Selassie I (always pronounced as the letter "I," never as the number one) of Ethiopia." The term is often used in place of "you and I" or "we" among Rastafarians, implying that both persons are united under the love of Jah.

But even with that explanation, the addition of "in the sky" to the line makes it a bit of a WTF lyric indeed.

Axver said:
I don't get your objection to some lyrics just because they rhyme.

They come off as simple and trite rhyming schemes that any Tom, Dick and Harry can come up with! Not the guy that gave us "sweet the sin, bitter the taste in my mouth. I see seven towers but I only see one way out."

Axver said:
OK then, so what makes a good rhyme?

I don't know... something less elementary like

Tell me, tell me the story
The one about eternity
And the way it's all gonna be

That said, Please, a song which I absolutely love does have

You had to win
You couldn't just pass
The smartest ass
At the top of the class

But it doesn't bother me as much maybe because there's other lines in the song that make up for it 10 times over like the whole "September streets capsizing..... are we just starting again" :drool:

Look, you can say what you want about ATYCLB's lyrics being "cheesey", but there is some real masterful stuff there:

"Grace, she carries a world on her hips
No champagne flute for her lips
No twirls or skips between her fingertips
She carries a pearl in perfect condition

What once was hurt
What once was friction
What left a mark
No longer stings
Because Grace makes beauty
Out of ugly things

Grace makes beauty out of ugly things"

It may be no Running To Stand Still, but personally I'll take Grace's lyrics over anything on Pop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom