POP Revisited

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I can't believe anyone is still debating whether or not POP is a masterpiece. Hasn't this fight already been lost?! Pop is atrocious, pretentious and nearly succeeded in accomplishing what all the critics and naysayers could never do-- relegating U2 to this list of over-rated, flash in the pan stars who made a couple of great albums and disappeared. ATYCLB and HTDAAB ARE great albums. Additionally, they have restored U2 to the top of the music scene both critically and commercially. AND, MOST IMPORTANTLY, artistically. U2 is relevant again and there music is both inspiring and heartfelt--something POP never was and never will be.

For all the POP lovers, was there something grand in Discotheque that most of us missed. Was it funny to see the best band in the world dressed as the Village People for the video? Was there something inspiring to you about the lemon on the tour? or the Kmart pressconference, or the jokes about this album starting with Edge's mustache? Even the good to great songs on the album couldn't find a way out from under all the crap that was around them.

Consider that this album was laughed away before it even began to sell, that it produced one of their weakest tours, that The Year In Pop special is the LOWEST RATED NON-NEWS TV SHOW EVER.

Lastly, I went and saw POPMART at Franklin Field in Philly with my college girlfriend. We had both been die-hard U2 fans since The Joshua Tree and had seen ZOO TV several times. At the point where the band climbed out of the lemon, she turned to me vowed never to buy anything by U2 again. She was brought back to the fold by ATYCLB.

I probably admire POP more for what it was trying to do than what it did. Some of Bono's lyrics sound incredibly under-developed -- when he sings, "Not suckin' on my thumb, starin' at the sun", I want to shake him until a better couplet falls out somewhere. (This is the same man who wrote, "So we're told this is a golden age/And gold is the reason for the wars we wage"?)

Now there's something creatively fascinating by playing to your weaknesses. That's what Edge said when he talked about Achtung -- but while Achtung became an amazing work of art, an exploration of faith and fidelity in a sonic landscape littered with temptation -- POP holds up a little less well, thematically and artistically. Bono's lyrics aren't at their best, and apart from a few songs, the rhythm section isn't given all that much to do. (As a friend said when we saw POP together, "They're an amazing band, when I can tell they're actually playing.")

At their best, U2 mixes good ideas with incredible sounds (Achtung, JT). At their worst, they go for the artifice instead of the art. Even some of the best songs on POP needed work -- why I like the single version of Please over the album version any day (it's far too short and lacks the emotionalism of the Edge's last guitar solo). The new mix of Gone rocks harder too. I remember reading a quote from Larry Mullen talking about how "if we're going to call an album POP, we should probably put some pop songs on there." It was almost as though on that album the clothes they chose became a straitjacket.

When I listen to POP, I hear the sound of four men in the midst of an identity crisis. It's a fascinating train wreck, but a train wreck nonetheless.

I like how pop changes courses throughout by the wide range of songs. Current releases flow better from the first to last track but pop is still cool just bc its different.

My God, this forum never changes! I've been coming here for like four years (though not much any more) and there is ALWAYS stuff about how much Pop rocks (with some going in the other direction, of course) and how much their new stuff sucks! Why not just call it the "90's U2 is the greatest" forum?

It's actually really funny! Trust me, guys...in a few years, no one will be talking about Pop except for you. Actually, that's already the case.

scatteroflight said:
My God, this forum never changes! I've been coming here for like four years (though not much any more) and there is ALWAYS stuff about how much Pop rocks (with some going in the other direction, of course) and how much their new stuff sucks! Why not just call it the "90's U2 is the greatest" forum?

It's actually really funny! Trust me, guys...in a few years, no one will be talking about Pop except for you. Actually, that's already the case.

And here you are, after 4 years, talking about Pop... Funny isn't it? In a few years i guess you'll be talking about Pop too, my child.

Where are the "ATYCLB rocks" threads? Oh no... ATYCLB just got voted here the most overrated U2 record... Really funny...

scatteroflight said:

LOL!

It IS already the case, everywhere but with a small group on this forum (and most of them are probably alters of those who did it before)

petethechopp said:
I can't believe anyone is still debating whether or not POP is a masterpiece. Hasn't this fight already been lost?! Pop is atrocious, pretentious and nearly succeeded in accomplishing what all the critics and naysayers could never do-- relegating U2 to this list of over-rated, flash in the pan stars who made a couple of great albums and disappeared. ATYCLB and HTDAAB ARE great albums. Additionally, they have restored U2 to the top of the music scene both critically and commercially. AND, MOST IMPORTANTLY, artistically. U2 is relevant again and there music is both inspiring and heartfelt--something POP never was and never will be.

For all the POP lovers, was there something grand in Discotheque that most of us missed. Was it funny to see the best band in the world dressed as the Village People for the video? Was there something inspiring to you about the lemon on the tour? or the Kmart pressconference, or the jokes about this album starting with Edge's mustache? Even the good to great songs on the album couldn't find a way out from under all the crap that was around them.

Consider that this album was laughed away before it even began to sell, that it produced one of their weakest tours, that The Year In Pop special is the LOWEST RATED NON-NEWS TV SHOW EVER.

Lastly, I went and saw POPMART at Franklin Field in Philly with my college girlfriend. We had both been die-hard U2 fans since The Joshua Tree and had seen ZOO TV several times. At the point where the band climbed out of the lemon, she turned to me vowed never to buy anything by U2 again. She was brought back to the fold by ATYCLB.

I'm really glad you found U2 again with the adventurous sounding ATYCLB. Certainly pushes the boundaries that album heheheeh.:huh:

petethechopp said:
I can't believe anyone is still debating whether or not POP is a masterpiece. Pop is atrocious, pretentious and nearly succeeded in accomplishing what all the critics and naysayers could never do-- relegating U2 to this list of over-rated, flash in the pan stars who made a couple of great albums and disappeared. ATYCLB and HTDAAB ARE great albums. Additionally, they have restored U2 to the top of the music scene both critically and commercially. AND, MOST IMPORTANTLY, artistically. U2 is relevant again and there music is both inspiring and heartfelt--something POP never was and never will be.

Are you worried about HTDAAB dislikes ?? :hmm:

Why are you doing this ??

I think exactly 100% contrary way that you mate. I really don´t know how can you dare to say U2 have restored ARTISTICALLY with those safe, uninspired, boring, recycled, cheap, pointless and commercial soups ( ATYCLB and HTDAAB ):banghead:

ATYCLB and HTDAAB ( also called ATYCLB II ) are atrocious, really.
I´m wondering if you are working for U2 team...:hmm: I really think some fans are "spies" from U2 team here

I prefer 1000 times all those Edge´s mustache jokes rather than this big music company wrongly called "U2" stealing money from fans, using once again their great past for that ( empty promises to return to their "classic" sound and style and all that )

what happened with "fuck the past, kiss the future" ?
it´s clear, as a fan said, that Bono now is fond of "fuck the future, kiss the past" :sad: :tsk:

I've done a lot of thinking and come to the conclusion that you're all a bunch of fucking lunatics. I'm not sure who any of you really are or what your lives are like but you must be nuts.
I didn't understand the depths of the vitriol some of you have for Pop. Or ATYCLB. Or HTDAAB. To spend hours, days, weeks and now YEARS bitching about your personal least favorite U2 album is pathetic. I don't like Rattle & Hum but I've managed to go over a decade without whining about it on a U2 fan appreciation board.

Matthew_Page2000 said:
I've done a lot of thinking and come to the conclusion that you're all a bunch of fucking lunatics.

:wink: :dance:

Matthew_Page2000 said:
I've done a lot of thinking and come to the conclusion that you're all a bunch of fucking lunatics. I'm not sure who any of you really are or what your lives are like but you must be nuts.
I didn't understand the depths of the vitriol some of you have for Pop. Or ATYCLB. Or HTDAAB. To spend hours, days, weeks and now YEARS bitching about your personal least favorite U2 album is pathetic. I don't like Rattle & Hum but I've managed to go over a decade without whining about it on a U2 fan appreciation board.

Wowo thats a bit harsh. To be honest I only got out of the asylum a week or two back but I like to hang out with my friends here at interfence.:wink:

Matthew_Page2000 said:
I've done a lot of thinking and come to the conclusion that you're all a bunch of fucking lunatics.

I didn't have to think a lot to come to the conclusion that you are a fucking bore.

Back
Top Bottom