Pop querie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The problem with Pop, and people on this board always overlook this, is Bono sounds like he's singing with a vicious hangover. It is his poorest vocal performance to date. As a result, for me, the ballads are painful to listen to, save "Velvet Dress".

That said, there is some terrific music on Pop. Gone is incredible. Last Night on Earth and Mofo rock hard. Miami is cool:yes:

MumblingBono said:
The problem with Pop, and people on this board always overlook this, is Bono sounds like he's singing with a vicious hangover. It is his poorest vocal performance to date. As a result, for me, the ballads are painful to listen to, save "Velvet Dress".

thats what makes it so great!.....think his voice has never sounded cooler than on Pop!

...but mucho respect for the 'Velvet Dress' special mention.....

...that song is simply stunning......by all involved...:drool:

Pop is my all time favorite album. Period.

I was first introduced to U2 in 1997 by some friends. I didn't even know U2 existed mainly because growing up my parents thought that anything other than (get this....) classical music and Neil Diamond was sac-relig. Ironically, there is quite a bit of sac-relig stuff in classical music. But, whatever...

Anyway, when I was introduced to U2, Pop had just come out, and it was the first album I have listened to front and back with such energy and enthusiasm. Please I got immediately hooked with as well as Discotheque, Mofo, Do You Feel Loved, and Last Night on Earth.

I HATED Playboy Mansion but have rediscovered it quite recently. The album is my favorite U2, and all time favorite album. PERIOD.

I'd highly reccm'd getting the album. I will warn you, as other people have already said, it is quite different and huge departure from the normal U2 we are used to. But, I think that is what makes this album so great in my opinion. Only now is Pop starting to get the appreciation it should have gotten. I know many people who hated the album when it first came out, but now absolutely love it.

The problem, I think, was that no one understood Pop. They didn't 'get it' and thought U2 had lost it. Well, they did lose it, but it was done with such purpose. That was the whole point. And because of that, we get, in my opinion, the greatest album U2 has ever put out.

The Era of Pop was so underestimated and complex that no one understood it, and thus disliked it. The Era of Pop was also one of the greatest era's in music history, and I think the defining era for U2. Yes...I'm that bold to say that.

Let the flaming begin. I'm ready, I'm ready for what's next!

Back
Top Bottom