Pop or Poop?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
miss becky said:

Or maybe we get "defensive" because it seems like every time you turn around, there's another one of these damn threads being started. It gets really old after a while.

Maybe you should ask yourself why there are so many threads about Poop? It doesn't take a genius to conclude that: 1) Poop stinks, (2) The reactions of Poop lovers to these threads is so much fun that it invites encre performances, and (3) This board is dominated by a dozen or so ageing Poop defenders who are stuck in 1997 and (4) Poop crusaders derive great satisfaction from their delusion that they are smarter than the rest of us because they "get " Poop and the rest of us, quite evidently, "do not."

Face it, Poop is the lowpoint of U2's career, and the last 2 albums, while mediocre, look positively great in comparison.

I like those conspiracy theories... and it looks like you've found a great one... I miss some UFO and aliens in it... but other than that it's a first class theory...

:rolleyes:

starvinmarvin said:

Maybe you should ask yourself why there are so many threads about Poop? It doesn't take a genius to conclude that: 1) Poop stinks, (2) The reactions of Poop lovers to these threads is so much fun that it invites encre performances, and (3) This board is dominated by a dozen or so ageing Poop defenders who are stuck in 1997 and (4) Poop crusaders derive great satisfaction from their delusion that they are smarter than the rest of us because they "get " Poop and the rest of us, quite evidently, "do not."

Face it, Poop is the lowpoint of U2's career, and the last 2 albums, while mediocre, look positively great in comparison.

Gee, you are so right. The insulting tone of your post makes you even more right. Thanks for making me see the light. :rolleyes:

starvinmarvin said:

(4) Poop crusaders derive great satisfaction from their delusion that they are smarter than the rest of us because they "get " Poop and the rest of us, quite evidently, "do not."

I have always enjoyed this part of the Pop discussion. What is there to "get"?. Its still just a guitar, bass, drums and vocals album with just a few more effects and some drum loops.

miss becky said:

Or maybe we get "defensive" because it seems like every time you turn around, there's another one of these damn threads being started. It gets really old after a while.

I don't think there's been a thread bashing Pop for a while. It's mainly been continual bashing of HTDAAB (generally with ATYCLB thrown in) and praise of Pop.

starvinmarvin said:

Maybe you should ask yourself why there are so many threads about Poop?

maybe because it is the most radical album U2 has ever done so that's why it will create lots of discussion. when they put themselves out there like that many people will love it and the rest will just not get it.

:wink:

Chizip said:

maybe because it is the most radical album U2 has ever done so that's why it will create lots of discussion. when they put themselves out there like that many people will love it and the rest will just not get it.

:wink:

I disagree with the notion that Pop is the most "radical" U2 album. To me it sounds like a slightly more adventurous version of ATYCLB, but with inferior songs. That is, the band attempted to wed the electronic impulses of Zooropa to more commercial-sounding pop tunes in an attempt to cover up their old bag wrinkles and avoid being cast as rock dinosaurs. To me, the main difference between Pop and ATYCLB is that while Pop was a misguided attempt to be simulataneously hip and radical, ATYCLB is a far more honest effort by the band. It was almost as if the boys stood back and said, "hey, wait a minute here. We're 40 years old and we aren't foiling anyone anymore. We're old farts. Let's just make some good music, transcendent, spiritual music that can stand on its own without gigantic lemons and Villiage Idiot costumes." That's why ATYCLB is better than Pop. Musically speaking, it is not very different, but the attitude is so much more honest. Everybody - the band included - just got tired of U2 playing dress up and make believe, and just wanted the music again. Nothing more, nothing less. Some Pop fanatics would have you believe that the music on Pop is so much more radical than on the last 2 albums, but that's nonsense. There are just as many loops and crazy sounds on ATYCLB as on Pop - it's just that you got used to hearing them on Pop, and they didn't sounds "out there" anymore on ATYCLB. The music on Pop is just as commercial oriented as ATYCLB - the main difference is the attitude and the packaging.

I can honestly say that I was bored to death the first time I heard Pop. I had been a fan of the band since The Joshua Tree (I was 12 yrs old), loved Rattle and Hum, and welcomed the change in direction represented by Achtung. Hell, I was the only one of my friends who loved Zooropa (many U2 longtime fans jumped ship after this album, which was a factor in the poor sales of Pop 4 years later). I can't begin to put into words the disapointment I felt when I heard Pop for the first time. No, I wasn't put off by the sound effects and loops - I loved that shit on Zooropa, which was far more adventurous. I was put off by how boring the music was. They literally sounded like old farts trying to play a young person's music. Bono - the best rock singer of his generation - adopted a dull, half-spoken lower register voice that did not suite the electronic influenced music one little bit. When you have the best voice in rock, why wouldn't use use it for Pete's sake? The Edge was farting around with keyboards instead of guitars, and Larry sounded suspiciously "computerized." Only Adam sounded inspired. Most of the tracks are "death by mid-tempo,' and sound like the aural equivalent of Uncle Bob taking a nap in his easy chair after a few too many beers. In short, I hated it, and had almost written off my fave band until I heard an inspired little ditty on the radio called Beautiful Day. That's when I knew that my band was back.

starvinmarvin said:

Exactly! The Pop defenders are so "defensive" because they know that the album isn't up to U2 standards. Sure, the album isn't as bad as many claim, but there's no need to exagerate Pop's virtues to try to convince us that it is brilliant. Trust me, we all get the concept bhind the album. It isn't that brilliant.

Thank you! I've been trying to say that for years, you can 'get' something and still not like it! It's most insulting when people act like there's something wrong with you if you don't like it and if you only gave it one more spin you'd see the light. AAARRRRGH! :scream:

Bringing back my phrase again:

Thank God, I love their 11 albums and I don't have to say some shit that I read around here.

Pop is good. Period.
ATYCLB is good. Period.
HTDAAB is great. Period.

U2 don't make music only for you. If you don't like some of their stuff, respect who likes. Period.

People that are stuck in 1997 and say that U2 should have retired after PopMart are stupid. Period.

People who are very annoyed to see Pop being bashed are some of the people who many times bash ATYCLB and HTDAAB around here in a stupid way. Even if I like Pop I think it's fair and cool to see now those people getting their POP bashed too. Taste your own poison.

If I'd make the rules, Pop, atyclb and htdaab, none of them would ever be bashed around here as they are.

But it looks like you guys always need to criticise something. If you don't like something don't listen to it and respect who likes.

Axver said:

I don't think there's been a thread bashing Pop for a while. It's mainly been continual bashing of HTDAAB (generally with ATYCLB thrown in) and praise of Pop.

That's it, most or all of the bashing of the last 2 albums is always connected to how 'great' Pop was in comparison and how 'bad' the band was to change, sigh :sigh: :rolleyes: It seems they are always connected.

Axver said:

HTDAAB and ATYCLB deserve to be bashed for their lack of originality and "been there done that before" feel to them. Pop, on the other hand, is the last great album they ever did, and one that still deserves repeated listening, unlike the aformentioned "greatest hit singles" albums.:wink:

starvinmarvin said:
The reactions of Poop lovers to these threads is so much fun that it invites encre performances
well then sorry to rain on your parade, but you can't troll the forums like this. starting a thread solely to create arguments? that is not cool.

:lock:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom