Pop or ATYCLB - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login
View Poll Results: POP or ATYCLB
Pop 56 53.33%
All that you cant leave behind 49 46.67%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-04-2002, 08:27 PM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:57 AM
New York London Paris Munich
Everybody talkin' 'bout mmm pop musik
Talk about
Pop musik
Talk about
Pop musik
Talk about
Pop music
Talk about
Pop musik!
Pop, pop, pop, pop, pop, pop, pop musik
Shooby dooby doo whop
Pop dop shoo whop
Shooby dooby doo whop
Pop dop shoo whop

Old 09-04-2002, 11:14 PM   #22
Refugee

Local Time: 10:57 PM
Just making sure but you know pop music is a cover right?

Old 09-04-2002, 11:28 PM   #23
Kid A

Local Time: 12:57 AM
Pop
Old 09-05-2002, 12:38 AM   #24
War Child

Local Time: 03:57 PM
everybody talking bout....
Old 09-05-2002, 01:45 AM   #25
New Yorker

Local Time: 11:57 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by DaveC
New York London Paris Munich
Everybody talkin' 'bout mmm pop musik
Talk about
Pop musik
Talk about
Pop musik
Talk about
Pop music
Talk about
Pop musik!
Shooby dooby doo whop
Pop dop shoo whop
Shooby dooby doo whop
Pop dop shoo whop
Dave you left out the VERY best part....

Gals you KNOW which part I'm talkin about....

I'd like to do more than CUDDLE to that Velvet dress song....
Old 09-05-2002, 07:26 AM   #26
Acrobat

Local Time: 06:57 AM
U2 lost their balls somewhere between 1998 and 2000, IMHO. ATYCLB is a concept album that stresses the opinion: "We're so sorry for being such arse holes in the 90's. Sorry that we were experimenting and made music that had never been made before. Calm down, now we'll make an album - not that you can have sex to - but sleep to. Would that be an idea...? Yeaahhh, let's do that"...

U2 were mainstream in the 90's because they were cool and original.

Now they are mainstream because they are mainstream (And America's Sweethearts...)
Old 09-05-2002, 11:36 AM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 07:57 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Ali Rose

Gals you KNOW which part I'm talkin about....

I know which part you mean.
Old 09-05-2002, 01:00 PM   #28
War Child

Local Time: 05:57 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Zoocifer
Whatever album has that "Miami" song on it gets my vote.

- z -
Adhere to that!!
Old 09-05-2002, 01:28 PM   #29
ONE
love, blood, life

Songs over sonics. ATYCLB.
Old 09-05-2002, 04:31 PM   #30
The Original
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by elevation
U2 lost their balls somewhere between 1998 and 2000, IMHO. ATYCLB is a concept album that stresses the opinion: "We're so sorry for being such arse holes in the 90's. Sorry that we were experimenting and made music that had never been made before. Calm down, now we'll make an album - not that you can have sex to - but sleep to. Would that be an idea...? Yeaahhh, let's do that"...

U2 were mainstream in the 90's because they were cool and original.

Now they are mainstream because they are mainstream (And America's Sweethearts...)
I wish I could disagree with you vehemently. But there is much unfortunate truth in what you're saying. Though me personally am not quite as harsh in my views.
Old 09-05-2002, 06:54 PM   #31
War Child

This is totally weird, where is all this Pop love coming from? I love all U2 albums, and ATYCLB was really loved by alot of people ehre when it came out.

I remember how happy all the U2 "fans" were when ATYCLB came out and how it was "one of their best three" and back then never did anyone say "oh my God, its ALMOST as good as Pop" or "Pop was better" or "doesnt anyone miss Pop?" so I find it amazing that Pop is winning the poll. Must be alot of popsters.
Old 09-05-2002, 07:44 PM   #32
Acrobat

I had to listen to Pop directly after listening to ATYCLB since I'd gotten a tooth-ache.

- z -
Old 09-05-2002, 07:55 PM   #33
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Zoocifer
I had to listen to Pop directly after listening to ATYCLB since I'd gotten a tooth-ache.

oh, and U2LA, maybe we're fixing the poll...j/k! actually i'm just as surprised as you are! maybe most of the pop fans keep their opinions under wraps (which would be something a lot of us could take to heart after seeing all the threads here lately)
Old 09-05-2002, 08:03 PM   #34
Refugee

Location: living in a rock and roll fantasy- and what's wrong with that?

Quote:
Originally posted by U2LA
This is totally weird, where is all this Pop love coming from? I love all U2 albums, and ATYCLB was really loved by alot of people ehre when it came out.

I remember how happy all the U2 "fans" were when ATYCLB came out and how it was "one of their best three" and back then never did anyone say "oh my God, its ALMOST as good as Pop" or "Pop was better" or "doesnt anyone miss Pop?" so I find it amazing that Pop is winning the poll. Must be alot of popsters.
U2LA, I would not take this as an accurate or scientific represtentation of what all fans think. If you could poll every fan in the world, Pop would not do very well. The poll of sales has already proven that. There was another poll of these two albums about a month back in an album ratings war and ATYCLB won.

You see, there is a group of people here who are really big 'popsters' and they are so abrasive and overbearing to the ones who don't like it, treating them like there is something wrong with them, insulting them and flaming them until they give up. See, Seconds has already said he will not post in a Pop thread again. Gypsy and J got themselves a new asshole ripped. Scatteroflight just makes a few comments. Salome's posts fall on deaf ears. No one else even bothers anymore. These people have succeeded in pressuring and forcing their opinion as the prevailing one of this forum until everyone else feels inadequate and doesn't want to admit what a 'bad fan' they are, or they just don't want to fight. Maybe most of them feel too mature or intelligent to engage in such behavior and stop arguing. So you are left with only one opinion, much like a child with a bad temper who who has to win so badly that he screams and throws the Chutes and Ladders board because he got the long slide down. These people love Pop so much they cannot stand it that most fans and most of the public did not, so they must convince themselves, and everyone else, that they are the only ones who are right, the only ones who know the truth, and everyone else is sadly lacking. Sigh. This is very, very old .

One more thing: I am irritated with the 'ballsy' and 'gutsy' comments. Not everything that is 'ballsy' or 'gutsy' is smart. Just watch that show "Jackass" if you don't believe me Not everything that is 'brave' is a good move, some are very bad mistakes. Pop was perhaps the worst move of U2's career. No one can accurately say that ATYCLB was, because it sold more, was better recieved by more fans, the public, the media, and was better accepted all around. I didn't see Pop U2 asked to do the Super Bowl or NBA halftime. Everyone I have spoken to in the real world likes ATYCLB, when Pop is mentioned, they laugh. No, in the world outside this community, it is generally accepted that Pop was not a good move. I do not mean to condemn anyone who likes it, it is just as okay to like it as it is to not like it and that should be respected on both sides. But I think that it is wrong for them to glorify it and make it out to be some great unappreciated work of art and genius that only a hundred or so special people can see and everyone else is ignorant and wong when even the band knows that is not the truth. It is also wrong to insult the intellect of fans who did not find it appealing. They think it's the people who bash Pop who are attacking their opinion, but in fact it's the other way around, or at least a door that swings both ways. That 'adjust your cranium' comment was the last straw for me.

For these reasons, it is not the Pop fans who keep their opinions under wraps, it's the other way around! Oh, and I would not be a bit surprised if the poll were fixed. ATYCLB did win in the rating poll last month.

Brandon Boyd

-Incubus
Old 09-05-2002, 08:12 PM   #35
War Child

ooohhh okaaayyyy

and is J the same J from Wire? If he is...he will be stirring up all kinds of caca!

Pop was good U2, ATYLCB is classic U2, its all GREAT because it IS U2! Now you know where I fall in this...
Old 09-05-2002, 08:17 PM   #36
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Desire4Bono
These people have succeeded in pressuring and forcing their opinion as the prevailing one of this forum until everyone else feels inadequate and doesn't want to admit what a 'bad fan' they are, or they just don't want to fight. Maybe most of them feel too mature or intelligent to engage in such behavior and stop arguing.
I must be on a different forum. I have never seen this happen here before. All I have seen is some people laying into POP as if it's the worst thing on earth, and those who like it defending it. I haven't seen anybody trying to force their opinion on anyone.
Old 09-05-2002, 08:37 PM   #37
Acrobat

Wha? You don't like Pop. Well we don't want your kind comin' 'round here ...

- z -
Old 09-05-2002, 08:39 PM   #38
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by wertsie

I must be on a different forum. I have never seen this happen here before. All I have seen is some people laying into POP as if it's the worst thing on earth, and those who like it defending it. I haven't seen anybody trying to force their opinion on anyone.
Obviously you haven't read the three Pop threads on this page, and all the Pop threads in the past, or you're reading them with eyes blinded by love for Pop dearie.

Did you miss the 'adjust your craniuim' post, just to name one? I did not make my observations lightly. Actually, as I stated in my post, VERY few people even bother to speak of Pop in a less than glowing way anymore, so I don't see where you get this idea of poor little Pop being jumped on by a bunch of ogres. There are guys on this forum who basically yell out (not in so many words but in message) "Pop rocks, and if you don't think so, you must be stupid, and if you don't start liking it you are a worthless piece of shit!" I have seen the bashing of ATYCLB much harsher and more vicious lately, and that might just be burning envy.

Werstie, this is nothing personal against you. Most of those I was referring to are guys, only 1 girl, and it's not you.

Brandon Boyd

-Incubus
Old 09-05-2002, 08:55 PM   #39
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Desire4Bono
so I don't see where you get this idea of poor little Pop being jumped on by a bunch of ogres.
I don't think that's true either. It's just a matter of differing opinions, I guess. Maybe I do tend to see people dissing POP more because I do like it. I don't know why people feel the need to cut others down just because they don't agree. I enjoy having intelligent conversations (or threads, in this case) about POP, but when people go around making oh-so-intelligent (note sarcasm) statements like, "POP sucks the big one!" it's hard to do that.

I think both sides should chill.

It's all about U2! THAT's what matters!

Adding one thing...It seems like the "newbies" are the ones who tend to spout off in one direction or another (ie. "Pop sucks!" or "If you don't love POP you're not a fan"). No offense to the newbies, just a general observation...
Old 09-05-2002, 09:33 PM   #40
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by wertsie

I don't think that's true either. It's just a matter of differing opinions, I guess. Maybe I do tend to see people dissing POP more because I do like it. I don't know why people feel the need to cut others down just because they don't agree. I enjoy having intelligent conversations (or threads, in this case) about POP, but when people go around making oh-so-intelligent (note sarcasm) statements like, "POP sucks the big one!" it's hard to do that.

I think both sides should chill.

It's all about U2! THAT's what matters!

Adding one thing...It seems like the "newbies" are the ones who tend to spout off in one direction or another (ie. "Pop sucks!" or "If you don't love POP you're not a fan"). No offense to the newbies, just a general observation...
{{{WERTSIE}}}

You're right, BOTH sides need to chill. But I never saw anyone say "POP sucks the big one" however, I did see a thread called 'Why ATYCLB sucks the big one' and it was full of words like 'suckey' that I have not seen written about Pop. What I have seen a lot of is people not taking sides but asking everyone to stop! When the neutral people become annoyed, it's gotten insane. On the subject of newbies, J is the only one who took the anti-Pop side. There were several newbies making comments in favor of Pop, and negative towards those who do not like Pop, and I wondered if they were all really "newbies" or just the same guys playing around. Maybe they made new names to vote for Pop extra times in the poll, who knows? I don't hate any album, but I do hate the crap that has gone down because of these two CD's. I like ATYCLB better because for me it's more of a pleasure to listen to and I only skip 2 songs, I skip 5 on Pop.

I have a suggestion, everyone go get their favorite U2 CD and play it loud! Rock out, enjoy it and stop thinking about the ones you don't like, and why or why not anyone else likes them!

Brandon Boyd

-Incubus