Pop-Most under-rated album?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Final Straw

The Fly
I hate the way Pop is constantly put down in the media as a 'weak' effort. Personally, i think its.............Fucking Amazing.
Okay, it might have 'some' flaws but the core of the album is still great.

Any album which has Do You Feel Loved,If God Will Send His Angels,Staring At The Sun,Last Night On Earth,Gone,Please and Wake Up Dead Man is a great album. Even by U2's standards.
Any thoughts?

(PS: Soz if this has been done a thousand times already:( )

How about October? In comparison, Pop is praised to the heavens.

Axver said:
How about October? In comparison, Pop is praised to the heavens.

I think my friend October is their most unknown album by the fan base, but definitely Pop is U2´s most underrated album, specially band the band :sad: :ohmy: and ATYCLB-HTDAAB are the most overrated U2 albums by the own band :(

Irishteen said:
Pop is ounder rated by critics, and over rated by people here

:yes:

Has there been something in the water in the last few days? A number of Interferencers consistently tout Pop, but what's the deal with the million threads about it in the last week?? :confused:

Utoo said:

:yes:

Has there been something in the water in the last few days? A number of Interferencers consistently tout Pop, but what's the deal with the million threads about it in the last week?? :confused:

The last few DAYS?? Try the last five years! (yes I've been here since 2001) The people here overrate and overtout this album and defend it to the death like a mother bear, or like parents do their ugliest retarded child. They think only they can see the genius in it, and anyone who doesn't like it is stupid, lacking, or doesn't 'get' it. It reminds me of the Emperor's New Clothes. There is no underrating of Pop going on on this forum.

Last edited:
Yep!

If you don't like POP then we understand (patronise patronise) and one day all U2 fans will be united in a far off place called POPDOM.

I really feel it for all you lot who don't get POP (patronise patronise) but we will wait for you - and we will FORGIVE you.

POP is a place that has to be believed to be seen (paraphrase).

Look into your soul and you will find what you are looking for (pun), but only if you look deep enough.

Believe. Believe in POP. Believe in yourself. Believe in the truth - it's out there - it's called POP.

Now I don't care HOW looooooooong it takes, brothers and sisters, but there's a place for you in POP's kingdom.

AMEN. (BONO 3:14)

RocknRollKitty said:

There is no underrating of Pop going on on this forum.

I agree with that. On this forum I think it's waaaayyy overrated.
I believe outside this forum it might be underrated-I think it's an alright album, definatley not a failure(artistically) as some casual fans might think.

But on the forum, yeah it's over rated

Yea what's with all the Pop threads going on?

Surely there are lots of better albums to be talking about...

That's RIGHT, I said it! :wink:

RocknRollKitty said:
The last few DAYS?? Try the last five years! (yes I've been here since 2001) The people here overrate and overtout this album and defend it to the death like a mother bear, or like parents do their ugliest retarded child. They think only they can see the genius in it, and anyone who doesn't like it is stupid, lacking, or doesn't 'get' it. It reminds me of the Emperor's New Clothes. There is no underrating of Pop going on on this forum.
it just wouldn't be a pop thread without U2Kitten coming in and trolling it.

RocknRollKitty said:

Hello troll, because that's what everyone was talking about in this thread... :|

Irishteen said:
Pop is under rated by critics, and over rated by people here

I think that's pretty much true. POP is easily my second favorite U2 album, but it's hardly as infallible as a great number of the devotees here seem to think/state as fact it is.

In the mainstream media, though, it's definitely the most underrated. I don't see any way around that. As others have said, perhaps one could consider October for the throne, as I myself did. In reality, though, it's pretty much universally recognized by fans, the band, the media, and even people who don't know what's going on that the album has a few great tracks, a few duds, and a new version of "Electric Co." with newer, even more laughable (and hardly as endearingly silly) lyrics.

KhanadaRhodes said:

it just wouldn't be a pop thread without U2Kitten coming in and trolling it.

To be fair, the usual suspects show up in HTDAAB, ATYCLB threads, and just because some of them go off in agonising detail about the "shortcomings" ;) of these two albums doesn't mean they aren't trolling...and I think Pop is a rather good album before you start. ;)

Sleep Over Jack said:

To be fair, the usual suspects show up in HTDAAB, ATYCLB threads, and just because some of them go off in agonising detail about the "shortcomings" ;) of these two albums doesn't mean they aren't trolling...and I think Pop is a rather good album before you start. ;)

Good call, Jamal

October is not rated at all :wink: but it is, by U2 standards, a weaker album, something that various factors had an effect on. Not to say I don't like it, or there aren't some good songs, but it is weaker, and consequently, for me, less memorable. I can rattle off the majority of the tracklistings of U2's albums, but not October by any stretch of the imagination (to be fair, I can't really do Boy or War either). Pop, on the other hand, sticks like flypaper to my brain. We should start an October thread!

I began to appreciate POP after listening to the PopMart Mexico concert. The album is brillant and even better when performed live.

well. as far as I'm concerned you can't overrate Pop :wink: but Pop is my soul.

it's not underrated here, but it's underrated in the media or by casual fans or non U2 fans that don't know any better (as in, people who haven't given the album a proper listen but assume it sucks because of words attached like "failure" and "unfinished").

I think we should give Pop its own subforum :wink:

and also a subforum for ATYCLB/HTDAAB bashing :wink: that way I won't have to read it :drool:

^love the signature AtomicBono!

Back on topic, I agree with most of the others on here, I love POP and think it's one of U2's best albums, sure there are some downfalls and disappointments to the album, but there are in most albums.

Dear Khanada,

Excuse me but since when is expressing an opinion 'trolling?' What I said was the truth. It IS overrated here, most of the posters seem to agree. I have just as much right to speak my views as others. This is not an 'OH POP IS SO GREAT' thread, it's asking is it overrated or underrated. My answer was appropriate.

I am now a mod on another board, about movies, and I have to read a lot of comments I don't agree with, but I don't consider the person 'trolling' for saying something I don't want to hear. So they hate a movie I like and say it over and over. Big deal. The biggest problem around here is the way members treat each other, not what they think of an album. That's just an opinion.

I don't see any of the Bomb/ATYCLB bashers being called 'trolls.' Calling me a 'troll' makes this thread negative, it wasn't until then.

Last edited:
RocknRollKitty said:
Excuse me but since when is expressing an opinion 'trolling?'

hmmm...

RocknRollKitty said:

(...) defend it to the death like a mother bear, or like parents do their ugliest retarded child. They think only they can see the genius in it, and anyone who doesn't like it is stupid, lacking, or doesn't 'get' it. It reminds me of the Emperor's New Clothes.(...)

:rolleyes: mhhmm, yeah... an "opinion"... ok... :coocoo:

Pop was a better album than the critics would lead us to believe, but is not nearly the album this forum hypes it up to be.

The main problem with Pop is that there are no immediately catchy songs. The songs require many repeated listens to fully appreciate. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but we have to remember that the casual music listener is looking for a catchy hook. Whether you like it or not, the casual listener drives sales, radio play, and often times, impacts critical acclaim.

Pop is not a bad album, but its lack of accessibility to the general masses makes it the type of album that will always be greeted with two very divided camps.

Back
Top Bottom