Pop Haters Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Zoomerang96 said:
is it 7ust me, or are more and more people realizing this album is actually really good?

maybe that's 7ust me, i dunno.

I think in 10, 15, 20 years when U2 have long ago given it up and they are reviewed or looked backed on in that different light, the 'stories' of their albums will shift around significantly. I think you can already see now a shift in the way albums like Boy and Unforgettable Fire are perceived, and how they influenced others. My bet is that Pop will only continue to grow and when that Q Magazine 45 Year U2 Special comes out, it will have a ton dedicated to Pop, it's influences, it's themes, it's depth, while an album like HTDAAB will only have a few lines "established that they could still sell in the 21st Century, and sell they did".

I love Pop, it was my second U2 album....my first was Zooropa:huh: so i kinda really got into U2 from the weird side of things, but strangely enough i also have really liked the last two albums too, ATYCLB took longer to grow on me than Pop but HTDAAB was faster:eyebrow:

...i don't think any U2 album is formulaic, they have stressed often enough that they don't have a 'formula' for songwriting...most of their songs come from jam sessions in the studio as the likes of the Achtung Baby outtakes show..i think Edge said somewhere that they forget what they did for each album that 'if we wanted to make a similar record to Boy we don't have a clue how we did it in the first place'(something like that). They wanted to make HTDAAB like it was their first record but really the only likeness in my opinion is Vertigo to I Will Follow...they are starting anew rather than copying Boy...

ahh this has been done to death, ignore me...

Pop is brilliant anyway...and i don't see what peoples problem with Discotheque is...it just wants to make me dance...plus the video is brilliant...sometimes i think people want U2 to be deadly serious all the time..Discotheque is to make you dance and laugh a little not to sit and comtemplate the meaning of life (though it might be interesting to do so:wink: )

Other highlights for moi- Gone, Mofo, Wake Up Dead Man

Palace_Hero said:

Instead I would like to say, In conclusion, if you don't like Miami, you are possibly an American. Or possibly my Slovenian friend Zlatan.

I'm an American and I like Miami. Many people who say the lyrics are bad just don't understand where Bono was coming from. They should read Into the Heart and remember the album was called Pop for a reason.

Earnie Shavers said:

I think in 10, 15, 20 years when U2 have long ago given it up and they are reviewed or looked backed on in that different light, the 'stories' of their albums will shift around significantly. I think you can already see now a shift in the way albums like Boy and Unforgettable Fire are perceived, and how they influenced others. My bet is that Pop will only continue to grow and when that Q Magazine 45 Year U2 Special comes out, it will have a ton dedicated to Pop, it's influences, it's themes, it's depth, while an album like HTDAAB will only have a few lines "established that they could still sell in the 21st Century, and sell they did".

it would be nice if the band figured this out for themselves.

The band are influenced by different styles of music then they were 10 years ago but I dont think we have seen the last of the so called "experimental" U2.

Why isnt there a Passengers apprciation thread....after all that was U2 at its most experimental yet nobody ever talks about that.

POP is a great album one of my favourites but that doesnt mean that the last 2 albums arent great albums...infact id rate them both as good or slightly ahead of POP.

I think in my own mind when comparing music quality wise....it would be Bomb, POP, ATYCLB but they are all very close quality wise even if the styles are different.

I think Passengers was a great example of experimentation ... but are they great songs? Pop has great songs. Passengers have a few arguably great songs, and then a bunch of ... well, experiments.

Passengers is interesting, but I'd rather listen to Pop.

Zoomerang96 said:

it would be nice if the band figured this out for themselves.

Agreed.

I love that the "Pop Haters" thread is just five pages of looooove for one of the greatest albums to grace the planet :D

Zootlesque said:
Mods, please change the name of this thread to 'Pop Rules!!!'. Seriously... there's no point. :wink:

Agreed, the title is just plain misleading, there's no Pop hating to be found here.

Ok, I'll try...

I don't like Pop because its a techno album!!!not a rock ablum!! there are NO guitars only dance beats like a nightclub!!!!Idon't like Pop because U2 went too far!!! I love experimentationation but not when it involves objects that arent' a guitar or drum!!!!Thats not music and itsnot U2!!!!!!thatsjust what Rollling Stone said was popular in London england and look what happened to london england!!!!!!! Idont like Pop because Bono dresses stupid!!!!He should only dress in dark clothes!!!!!!ESPECIALLY when hes on a big bright stage!!!!Idont like Pop because they didnt play it much on my favourte radio station!!!Popmustnt be good because they will ONLY play something lots if its good!!! Like Vertigo!!!HELLO!!HELLO!!!Most of all Idont like Pop because I have to think about it, and thats not music!!!

Earnie Shavers said:
Ok, I'll try...

I don't like Pop because its a techno album!!!not a rock ablum!! there are NO guitars only dance beats like a nightclub!!!!Idon't like Pop because U2 went too far!!! I love experimentationation but not when it involves objects that arent' a guitar or drum!!!!Thats not music and itsnot U2!!!!!!thatsjust what Rollling Stone said was popular in London england and look what happened to london england!!!!!!! Idont like Pop because Bono dresses stupid!!!!He should only dress in dark clothes!!!!!!ESPECIALLY when hes on a big bright stage!!!!Idont like Pop because they didnt play it much on my favourte radio station!!!Popmustnt be good because they will ONLY play something lots if its good!!! Like Vertigo!!!HELLO!!HELLO!!!Most of all Idont like Pop because I have to think about it, and thats not music!!!

OMG I HAIT POPMART!!!111 DAT TOUR SUXED!!11 THEY DIDNT PLAY VERTGO AT ALL1!!!! AND I HAIT POP CUZ IT DUSNT HAVE VERITGO!?!?1?1 EVRY ABULM SHUD HAVE VERGO ITZ U2S BEST SONG EVR!/1?!11111

AtomicBono said:

OMG I HAIT POPMART!!!111 DAT TOUR SUXED!!11 THEY DIDNT PLAY VERTGO AT ALL1!!!! AND I HAIT POP CUZ IT DUSNT HAVE VERITGO!?!?1?1 EVRY ABULM SHUD HAVE VERGO ITZ U2S BEST SONG EVR!/1?!11111

VERTIGO!!!HELLO!!HELLO!!!I KNOW!!! Now there;s a rock song that doesn't need any of that silly childish Pop electronic wizadry to beef up its sound!!! CHECK out the last chorus!!!!ALL Edge!!!AND E-LE-VA-TION!!!!Woohoo!!Especially the 'Tomb Raider' mIx!!!Big poweful rock songs that don't need any help from those stupid DJs who arent even music!!!!THEY DID THOSE SONGS EXACTLY THE SAME because they are so good!!! I hope theres another HELLOHELLO!!WOO-HOOO!!!song on the next ablum!!!!!!!!!A mole, digging in a hole!!!Stupid words on Pop, made no sense!!!

NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH NEW YORK LONDON PARIS MUNICH EVERYBODY TALK ABOUT POP MUZIK

Aardvark do you have an email or msn messenger?
I think you gave me your email before but I forgot to save it :huh:
I am gonna be in Cardiff by myself for the concert.
Your watching it from the stands aren't ya ? I am so fucking confused as to what to do, I apparently gotta pick up my ticket the day of the concert from the stadium and then I am going to have to line up ?

Earnie Shavers said:
Ok, I'll try...

Come on Earnie...I know we discussed this in much better detail in the far superior earlier thread. Don't reduce people's opinions to such simplistic terms. And yes, I know you're being facetious here, but as we talked about at great length earlier, there are some VERY legitimate reasons for not liking this album. None of which I care to rehash, but you of all people should know what I'm talking about here. This type of stuff, even in jest, only brings the discussion down to a common shouting match. And after THINKING about Pop some more....I've realized..I still don't like it.

RobH said:

Come on Earnie...I know we discussed this in much better detail in the far superior earlier thread. Don't reduce people's opinions to such simplistic terms. And yes, I know you're being facetious here, but as we talked about at great length earlier, there are some VERY legitimate reasons for not liking this album. None of which I care to rehash, but you of all people should know what I'm talking about here. This type of stuff, even in jest, only brings the discussion down to a common shouting match. And after THINKING about Pop some more....I've realized..I still don't like it.

This title of this thread seems to attract those that "Hate it" or "Love it". As for me it's in the middle somewhere. I definatley don't hate it, but it's not in my top 3 either. That might be the case for the majority of fans.

Last edited:
CPTLCTYGOOFBALL said:

This title of this thread seems to attract those that "Hate it" or "Love it". As for me it's in the middle somewhere. I definatley don't hate it, but it's not in my top 3 either. That might be the case for the majority of fans.

Hey! Everytime I see your name, I go 'Capital City Goofball'. I must know if that's right or I'll go :crazy:

:wink:

Yeah I couldn't think of a name so I thought I'd choose the most underrated Simpon character. It just wouldn't let me use enough letters for the whole name!

Palace_Hero said:
Miami isn't understood by people who look too deeply into songs and don't get ironic humor.

If you hate a song because of a lyric, not the music, you are very sad in my book.

In conclusion, if you don't like Miami, you are an American. Or possibly Slovenian.

DR EVIL SAYS>>>>>>>RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT:scratch:
Anyway, Nothing but love for pop and the popmart tour here!

A few mates of mine who are no more than casual fans of U2 keep sayin Pop was there worst record, but they say that based on hear say etc most have never actually listened to it:madspit:

Personally, I don't care. I love the album myself, but if others don't, they have their reasons, and that's fine. They're entitled to not like it :shrug:. Some people find it hard to believe that there are people who don't like U2's last two albums, too, so... Everyone should just like whatever sounds good to them.

Angela

Back
Top Bottom