Pop Did Not Fail Because Of The Music, It Failed Because...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Zootlesque said:

Oh man! How can you dislike Do You Feel Loved? It's one of the sexiest songs they ever recorded!!! I was listening to it in my car today. And towards the end when Bono croons "do you feeeeel.... do you feeeeeeeeeel...." and sustains it until the main bass line returns :drool: Heaven! I almost had an orgasm right there (just like during the Even Better intro) :wink:

The beat gives me migranes and makes me queazy. :sigh:

There are also songs by other great bands I don't like:

Beatles: Oh Darling, She's a Woman

Led Zeppelin: The Crunge, Bron ur ar Stomp (sp)

Queen: Radio GaGa, almost anything post 1980

Rolling Stones: Bitch, Heartbreaker, most of their latest stuff

Zootlesque said:

Oh man! How can you dislike Do You Feel Loved? It's one of the sexiest songs they ever recorded!!! I was listening to it in my car today. And towards the end when Bono croons "do you feeeeel.... do you feeeeeeeeeel...." and sustains it until the main bass line returns :drool: Heaven! I almost had an orgasm right there (just like during the Even Better intro) :wink:

I hear you :wink:

DYFL :rockon:
EBTTRT :rockon:

U2Kitten said:

The beat gives me migranes and makes me queazy. :sigh:

It could be because of the techno part in the opening beat. :shrug: I know other people have mentioned that they might like DYFL better without the techno elements.

I'd like to hear it redone without the techno. I am one of the rare interferencers who think the remixes on the Best of are an improvement. Ditching the boomchas was one of the best and classiest decisions the band ever made.

Zootlesque said:

It could be because of the techno part in the opening beat. :shrug: I know other people have mentioned that they might like DYFL better without the techno elements.

Yeah, I guess the techno stuff can overwhelm people somtimes, like Mofo. There's a lot of techno in that song but there's also unbelievable soul underneath it, but I think to some people the techno aspects of it drown out the rest. A sound that's gonna drown out the world :wink:

U2Kitten said:
I'd like to hear it redone without the techno. I am one of the rare interferencers who think the remixes on the Best of are an improvement. Ditching the boomchas was one of the best and classiest decisions the band ever made.

*sigh*

Once again, I disagree. BOOM CHA!! :rockon:

namkcuR said:

:wink: :rockon: :rockon: :wink:

Like I said: Unbelievable soul in that song. The whole record really.

I love how it tied into I Will Follow on the PopMart tour, I was watchin a Sao Paolo boot and Mofo/IWF brought the house down:wink:

ok, ok stadium

Even though I don't like MOFO at all, I have heard people say they were deeply touched by the MOFO/IWF connection, both about Bono's mom. Now many of the recent songs are tributes to his Dad. What a good boy, loving his parents so much!

i find it embarassing how certain u2 fans don't have the capacity to appreciate songs, u2 songs nonethless that aren't as straight-forward and simple as the U2 Ltd. Machine is pumping out these days.

u2 never was techno. they were never electronica. if you think they were, go listen to some aphex twin and come back to the discussion.

On a side note... Daddy's Gonna Pay and Miami are quite similar. I can't imagine somebody liking one and disliking the other.

Zoomerang96 said:
u2 never was techno. they were never electronica.

Yeah, really! I like to call it rock-techno or techno infused rock. Actually I would rather not classify it. :wink:

diamond said:
i wanna take the oppurtunity to thank mrs miggy for posting this thread too:angry:

db9
:dance:
:wink:

Damnit - I'm not a woman, I'm not married, and don't be pissed at me for what this thread has spiralled into. My original post was perfectly fine. I've been listening to POP a lot recently, it's the 8 year anniversary, and it got me thinking as to why the album did (comparatively) poorly upon release. Don't credit me for anything else besides my initial post and any other subsequent ones I have personally written within this thread.

-Miggy "I am a goddamn man" D

Okay I'll bring it back to the topic at hand.

Pop is not a failure because of the following reasons:

1. Discotheque: Probably the most catchy fun song they ever made. And that opening guitar :drool: Honestly, who won't be tempted to go "Go go....ha ha ha Disco..teque" while playing air guitar to it. :rockon:

2. Do You Feel Loved: Can it get more sexy than this and still rock so much? I don't think so.

3. Mofo: That intro :drool: Larry hasn't pounded on them drums like that ever since. Looking for a sound that's going to drown out the world....

4. If God Will Send His Angels: Good lyrics accompanied by a very nice groove. Adam all the way!!!
God has got his phone off the hook, babe
Would he even pick up if he could

5. Staring At The Sun: Classic U2 song. Even 80s fans shouldn't have a problem with this one.

6. Last Night On Earth: Another classic U2 song with distortion and techno effects added. What a chorus! You gotta give it awayyyyyyyyyyyy!

7. Gone: Lyrical genius + great sounding guitars + amazing vocals = best song on album

8. Miami: Oh Larry... Larry my man, where did you learn to drum like that? Not to mention When The Levee Breaks rocks! :rockon:

9. The Playboy Mansion: Beautiful slide guitar accompanied by a great groove. Lyrics aren't as bad as some people make out to be.

10. If You Wear That Velvet Dress: Sexiest song ever! Nuff said.

11. Please: September Streets capsizing Spilling over Down the drain Shards of glass Splinters like rain But you could only feel your own pain. A political track as well!!! This album has it all!

12. Wake Up Dead Man: Has any band, except for maybe Pink Floyd captured such desperation and helplessness in a song like U2 has done here??? Moving end to an epic album.

Yes yes - but I said in my original post that it wasn't the music that caused it to fail!

The album, by itself, outside of the context of history, is quite good.

Re-read my original post for the theme of this thread. :wink:

-Miggy 'I am a friggin' man' D

Miggy D said:
Yes yes - but I said in my original post that it wasn't the music that caused it to fail!

The album, by itself, outside of the context of history, is quite good.

Re-read my original post for the theme of this thread. :wink:

-Miggy 'I am a friggin' man' D

I know, I know! Just felt like typing that up. :wink: Cos in my eyes, it's not a failure.

U2Kitten said:
all I hear is a noise that I don't like, sorry, just not my type.

You should've written it in the beginning and this thread would be at least a few posts shorter.
I understand you. I have the same thing with ATYCLB. Album version of BD is soooo cheesey:yuck: with those "shhzck" and "fssszt"s in the background... I always listen to live version only... and Stuck In a Moment... what kind of sound is that?:ohmy: and what's the purpose of those clarions near the end? I can go like that with every song, from the backward strings in Kite to Grace... but it would be "of topic" to much...

Zootlesque said:
On a side note... Daddy's Gonna Pay and Miami are quite similar. I can't imagine somebody liking one and disliking the other.

I dislike them both! :wave:

bathiu said:

You should've written it in the beginning and this thread would be at least a few posts shorter.
I understand you. I have the same thing with ATYCLB. Album version of BD is soooo cheesey:yuck: with those "shhzck" and "fssszt"s in the background... I always listen to live version only... and Stuck In a Moment... what kind of sound is that?:ohmy: and what's the purpose of those clarions near the end? I can go like that with every song, from the backward strings in Kite to Grace... but it would be "of topic" to much...

So you DO understand! Good, but I've been so frustrated in the past by people who pounce on me for not liking Pop and call me a bad fan, yet turn around and bash ATYCLB and call it their 'right to an opinion' :scream: The fact is, we all have an opinion, and no one is right or wrong because it's all a matter of personal taste! I respect your dislike for ATYCLB and I'm glad you can see my dislike for Pop is the same thing, though we like and dislike opposite albums, we are fans, not bad fans, and so what! :happy:

Though I am not a fan of the sound of Pop either, I do also believe Miggy's original post is right on as to why a lot of fans didn't accept Pop. I have known a lot of them myself. I do wonder how many more may have liked it if it had been presented better. I just happen to be one who didn't care for the music, OR the way the entire era was presented.

Zootlesque said:
Okay I'll bring it back to the topic at hand.

Pop is not a failure because of the following reasons:

1. Discotheque: Probably the most catchy fun song they ever made. And that opening guitar :drool: Honestly, who won't be tempted to go "Go go....ha ha ha Disco..teque" while playing air guitar to it. :rockon:

2. Do You Feel Loved: Can it get more sexy than this and still rock so much? I don't think so.

3. Mofo: That intro :drool: Larry hasn't pounded on them drums like that ever since. Looking for a sound that's going to drown out the world....

4. If God Will Send His Angels: Good lyrics accompanied by a very nice groove. Adam all the way!!!
God has got his phone off the hook, babe
Would he even pick up if he could

5. Staring At The Sun: Classic U2 song. Even 80s fans shouldn't have a problem with this one.

6. Last Night On Earth: Another classic U2 song with distortion and techno effects added. What a chorus! You gotta give it awayyyyyyyyyyyy!

7. Gone: Lyrical genius + great sounding guitars + amazing vocals = best song on album

8. Miami: Oh Larry... Larry my man, where did you learn to drum like that? Not to mention When The Levee Breaks rocks! :rockon:

9. The Playboy Mansion: Beautiful slide guitar accompanied by a great groove. Lyrics aren't as bad as some people make out to be.

10. If You Wear That Velvet Dress: Sexiest song ever! Nuff said.

11. Please: September Streets capsizing Spilling over Down the drain Shards of glass Splinters like rain But you could only feel your own pain. A political track as well!!! This album has it all!

12. Wake Up Dead Man: Has any band, except for maybe Pink Floyd captured such desperation and helplessness in a song like U2 has done here??? Moving end to an epic album.

that made me want to listen to some POP.. rocking! :wink:

what i remember someone saying about POP was.. at the beginning, the question, 'do you feel loved?' is posed, and by the end, it is quite clear that the answer is 'no'.

and someone else called it 'the art of darkness' which is a right up there in coolness with 'new age mystic bullshit'.

some piece of info i found about POP:

'U2 promised their next album, to be released in the fall of 1996, would be a rock & roll record. The album took longer to complete than usual, being pushed back to the spring of 1997. During its delay, a few tracks, including the forthcoming first single "Discotheque," were leaked, and it became clear that the new album was going to be heavily influenced by techno, dance, and electronic music. When it was finally released, Pop did indeed bear a heavier dance influence, but it was greeted with strong initial sales, as well as some of the strongest reviews of U2's career.'

the public + critics can be so fickle sometimes.

oh hey, by the way, here's is allmusicguide's review of POP, quite interesting, POP, a plea for salvation?

enjoy!

'No matter which way you look at it, Pop doesn't have the same shock of the new that Achtung Baby delivered on first listen. Less experimental and more song-oriented than Zooropa, Pop attempts to sell the glitzy rush of techno to an audience weaned on arena rock. And that audience includes U2 themselves. While they never sound like they don't believe in what they're doing, they still remove most of the radical elements of electronic dance, which is evident to anyone with just a passing knowledge of the Chemical Brothers and Underworld. To a new listener, Pop has flashes of surprise -- particularly on the rampaging "Mofo" -- but underneath the surface, U2 rely on anthemic rockers and ballads. "Discotheque" might be a little clumsy, but "Staring at the Sun" shimmers with synthesizers borrowed from Massive Attack and a Noel Gallagher chorus. Similarly, "Do You Feel Loved" and "If You Wear That Velvet Dress" fuse old-fashioned U2 dynamism with a keen sense of the cool eroticism that makes trip-hop so alluring. Problems arise when the group tries to go for conventional rock songs, some of which are symptomatic of the return of U2's crusade for salvation. Pop is inflected with the desire for a higher power to save the world from its jaded spiral of decay and immorality, which is why the group's embrace of dance music never seems joyous -- instead of providing an intoxicating rush of gloss and glamour, it functions as a backdrop for a plea of salvation. Achtung Baby also was a comment on the numbing isolation of modern culture, but it made sweeping statements through personal observations; Pop makes sweeping statements through sweeping observations. The difference is what makes Pop an easy record to admire, but a hard one to love.'

s. thomas erlewine

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom